DegreeInfo Down?

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

DegreeInfo Down?

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:31 pm

I keep getting "database" errors when attempting to visit DegreeInfo. I've used two computers and gotten the same outcome. Anyone else?
Rich Douglas

Re: DegreeInfo Down?

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Ditto. They've been down since late Tuesday night, it seems. That's an awfully long time at this point, I hope nothing unfixable happened.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Same here, but all OK now -- looks like it was fixable. Most internet things are. Possible exception - DLT. And that's not a tech. problem. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:39 am

Degreeinfo is working today. I was earlier around 7PM EDT.
Reading about Miramar University lapsed DETC accreditation.

Did a search, it worked for me.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Not working now.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Is now (5:21 pm EDT).
Rich Douglas

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Is now (5:21 pm EDT).

Not now and it's 7:40 pm. Must be experiencing some sort of problem.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby levicoff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 am

Jimmy wrote:

There, there, Jimmy . . . Everything will be alllllllllll right. :lol:
levicoff

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:40 am

levicoff wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

There, there, Jimmy . . . Everything will be alllllllllll right. :lol:

Thank you for knowing the difference between alright and all right!
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby johann » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 pm

So what is the difference? Eons ago, as a kid, I was taught that "all right" was always correct and "alright" was never correct. I realize the whole world isn't as up-tight as my very strict and old-fashioned (even for 1953) Grade 7 teacher, and here's a more modern explanation from the Internet (Grammar Girl):

"Similar ‘merged’ words such as altogether and already have been accepted in standard English for a very long time, so there is no logical reason to object to the one-word form alright. Nevertheless, many people dislike it and regard it as incorrect, so it’s best to avoid using alright in formal writing. Write it as two separate words instead."

Are you making some distinction, e.g:

"I hope she's all right" vs. "Alright then, I'll take two at that price." If so, I can't find a valid basis for a differentiation. I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that I can't find it. Not important anyway. Grammar's a flexible thing, as far as I'm concerned. And spelling - fuhgeddaboudit! :)

Re: DegreeInfo. Working OK for me now. Been OK for a couple of days anyway. I have noticed for the longest time that there's about 30 or 40 minutes daily -usually 4:30 to 5:00 pm my local time, when I can't access threads. I always figured they were updating, doing backup or something similar at that time.

Maybe I should ask them -- or maybe you guys know.

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 pm

johann wrote:So what is the difference? Eons ago, as a kid, I was taught that "all right" was always correct and "alright" was never correct. I realize the whole world isn't as up-tight as my very strict and old-fashioned (even for 1953) Grade 7 teacher, and here's a more modern explanation from the Internet (Grammar Girl):

"Similar ‘merged’ words such as altogether and already have been accepted in standard English for a very long time, so there is no logical reason to object to the one-word form alright. Nevertheless, many people dislike it and regard it as incorrect, so it’s best to avoid using alright in formal writing. Write it as two separate words instead."

Are you making some distinction, e.g:

"I hope she's all right" vs. "Alright then, I'll take two at that price." If so, I can't find a valid basis for a differentiation. I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that I can't find it. Not important anyway. Grammar's a flexible thing, as far as I'm concerned. And spelling - fuhgeddaboudit! :)

Re: DegreeInfo. Working OK for me now. Been OK for a couple of days anyway. I have noticed for the longest time that there's about 30 or 40 minutes daily -usually 4:30 to 5:00 pm my local time, when I can't access threads. I always figured they were updating, doing backup or something similar at that time.

Maybe I should ask them -- or maybe you guys know.

Johann

The difference is that "alright" and never correct.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby johann » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 pm

Thanks, Jimmy. Looks like the lesson I learned in Grade 7 is still good. I've gone by that rule ever since 1953 -- mostly out of fear that Miss Smith might suddenly come out of retirement if I didn't! She would be, oh - maybe 120 or so by now - and she was always tough as nails! She taught me a lot - and I learned through her to love grammar, and that helped me greatly later on, with other languages. A re-appearance? I only wish it were possible ... sadly, it's not, but I have some great early memories. :)

I have a mental image of Miss Smith correcting Tony Soprano's grammar. I'm sure she could terrify him into submission, if she felt the need. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:56 am

johann wrote:Thanks, Jimmy. Looks like the lesson I learned in Grade 7 is still good. I've gone by that rule ever since 1953 -- mostly out of fear that Miss Smith might suddenly come out of retirement if I didn't! She would be, oh - maybe 120 or so by now - and she was always tough as nails! She taught me a lot - and I learned through her to love grammar, and that helped me greatly later on, with other languages. A re-appearance? I only wish it were possible ... sadly, it's not, but I have some great early memories. :)

I have a mental image of Miss Smith correcting Tony Soprano's grammar. I'm sure she could terrify him into submission, if she felt the need. :)

Johann

I think we've all had a "Miss Smith." Mine was Miss Pepper. I still can hear her say, "Lie means to rest or recline; lay means to put or place."
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby johann » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Jimmy wrote:I think we've all had a "Miss Smith." Mine was Miss Pepper. I still can hear her say, "Lie means to rest or recline; lay means to put or place."

Funny - we had a Miss Pepper, too - but she taught us in High School. She was strict, like Miss Smith, but much, much younger, red-haired with a temperament to match, and quite nice-looking. So - at least the male half of the class would usually pay attention, without any compulsion necessary. :)

Johann
johann

Return to Off-topic Discussions