University of Metaphysics

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: University of Metaphysics

Postby johann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:32 pm

elmergarchitorena wrote:Who is Steve Levicoff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Levicoff

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:12 pm

I've never heard of Paul Leon Masters, but I realize that doesn't mean he can't be a wise man and a great teacher of important truths. Still, when you use people's relative fame as a way of suggesting that one of them is more likely than another to be correct about something, you're committing a local fallacy called "appeal to authority".
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Since you've brought up the subject, Steve - here's a long list of fallacies for Elmer. "Appeal to authority" is No. 6 under "Red Herring fallacies."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:29 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:I've never heard of Paul Leon Masters.

He's the owner/founder of both University of Sedona and University of Metaphysics. Whatever else he may be, he's a Doppelmühlmeister - or dual mill-master, in English. I'm not saying his teaching is bad, but the "degrees" are still academically worthless.

https://www.facebook.com/DRPMasters

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:57 pm

elmergarchitorena wrote:Who is Steve Levicoff? never heard, who is Dr.Paul Leon Masters? A founder of Metaphysics school for many decades now and a master teacher of universal truths who has thousands of students worldwide.

That was very convenient.

Well, I've heard of Dr. Levicoff. I have not heard of Dr. Masters. That makes us even. And proves what, exactly?

Anyone who claims to know "universal truths" must, axiomatically, be wrong.

I know the source of Dr. Levicoff's degree. I cannot seem to pin down the source of Dr. Masters' doctorate. His dissertation does not appear in the UMI database. Perhaps you can enlighten us?
Rich Douglas

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:01 pm

elmergarchitorena wrote:I am now studying Volume 2 for the Metaphysical Science Degree. It is all good and renders a universal truth. No matter what you say, if it is negativity, it is. Even if you have a doctorate in an accredited school, what have you accomplished? Did you accomplished any worthwhile things? or you are just one of this online bullies? Mind closed? It may be you, you don't know what's inside the course so never judged that is is worthless. Even if you you are a doctor, the manner you ruined another s' reputation is not an act of an educated man. You know what described all of you here? an egoistic person, those who are in a mental position that they are right and others are wrong, that they are superior and others are not. Now who is more funny? Never mind responding. I won't read anymore your reply. Contagious NEGA Star(Negative Person Superstar) who don't have accomplishment but daily bullying, hahaha.By the way, University of University of Metaphysics and University of Sedona has thousands of students and graduates worldwide, do you have a school? hahaha :lol:

Are you merely a name-calling flamethrower with a tiny number of posts? Never mind responding. I won't be able to decipher your reply.

A reputation ruined by discussing the facts around it is one already trashed.

Gosh, a fake poster rambling about a fake school (two, actually) selling fake degrees. What could possibly be wrong with that?
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Rich Douglas wrote: I cannot seem to pin down the source of Dr. Masters' doctorate.

Neither can I ... and I've spent some time trying. I love these "mystery degrees." Nine times out of ten, they turn out to be self-inflicted - from the "Doctor's" own school, or alternately, a convenient mail-order source.. Since um... Dr. Masters has been in the biz since 1959 (founded Institute of Parapsychology prior to the two Universities), I'm guessing the doctorate may come from one of his own schools.

The more well-hidden the origin, the more likely it is a spurious degree. (I am, of course, open to the prospect I am completely wrong - but I'd be surprised!)

Maybe we should lay off poking poor Elmer. After all, he's spent a thousand bucks on a bogus degree, even if he refuses to realize it. But I'm not above taking another swing or two at his "guiding light." Walk toward the light, Elmer! That's what your money did! :lol:

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 am

I want to be clear about a few things.

I'm not saying one cannot get a good education at an unaccredited school.

Maybe people who "attend" the University of Metaphysics get a good grounding in the subject. I don't know.

But the degree is bogus.

As for the founder, we only know two things about the source of his degree. First, no one mentions it anywhere. While I've seen this in a couple of legitimate cases, it is rare. Much more common is the scenario where the degree comes from a phony source or is self-awarded. Second, there is no one by that name with a dissertation on file at UMI/Proquest. Is the combination of these two things definitive? No. How about adding in the trend that these (people with hidden degrees) tend to be fake? Nope. How about the fact that so many of these schools are led by people with fake degrees? Still no.

But that's where my money would be.

So, is this guy ("Elmer") a sucker? Probably not, except....to the extent you feel the subject is for suckers. And to the extent he continues to extol the school or the degree--neither of which deserve it one little bit.

Finally, "Elmer" was challenged with the "are you a doctor" thing, but then blew it off that not only did I have one from an RA school, it was in this subject. That's a guy determined to win his argument, even if he has to slink away to do it. He needs to go back and join the other people I find on the internet defending their degrees from this thing. They need the help. Here's an example:

http://parabook.wordpress.com/2010/05/0 ... ald-ryles/

You can read what I posted here, because I suspect it might get deleted:

Rich Douglas, Ph.D. says: 07/20/2013 at 2:32 PM
There is little or no reason for a university to lack a recognized form of accreditation.

In most countries, the government decides what is and is not a recognized university. In the U.S., however, the Federal government never took a central role; the universities evolved the accreditation system as a way to maintain standards. Accrediting agencies, in turn, are recognized by one of two bodies (usually by both), the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA–private) and the U.S. Department of Education.

When the University of Metaphysics was established, there were very few nontraditional routes to a Ph.D. from accredited schools. Thus, many unaccredited, nontraditional schools arose. However, the recognized accreditors changed their approach to such schools over time and, thus, almost all of those schools either became accredited or went out of business. (Especially since the states got tougher with their licensing of schools.) There are a few remnants from those days. The University of Metaphysics is one of them.

What to make of these schools? Well, first, let’s acknowledge that they are not recognized as universities in the U.S., even if they have license to operate in their respective home states. May Ph.D. graduates from these schools call themselves “doctor”? Probably, in many cases. That term is almost never regulated. (Thank goodness. Imagine if Julius Erving had to be called “Mister J”!) Claims of educational quality by these schools cannot be verified and, thus, cannot be relied upon.

Also, there is an old saying in higher education: it takes a doctor to make a doctor. Unaccredited schools’ faculties are often littered with people who also have degrees from unaccredited schools (often from the school in question). If many of the faculty are such, it makes for a very week academic situation.

Finally, the Ph.D. is meant to contribute to the academic discipline. But graduates from unaccredited schools do not do this. Not only do they almost never publish in academic journals, they’re dissertations/thesis are not included in library collections and other sources (like Proquest/UMI).

Graduates of these programs might be important contributors to their fields, especially esoteric areas. But they are not academicians and are not taken seriously by the rest of the academic world. Nor are their schools.

Dr. Rich Douglas (Yes, I have a Ph.D. from an accredited school where I specialized in nontraditional higher education. You can look it up.)
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Dr. Rich - you're right. But I think we've both used a huge baseball bat on a fly here. :) Splat!

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:10 pm

johann wrote:Dr. Rich - you're right. But I think we've both used a huge baseball bat on a fly here. :) Splat!

Johann

Sometimes you gotta nuke 'em.
Rich Douglas

Re: University of Metaphysics - About Accreditation – Realit

Postby TheObserver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 am

Comment from the Founder, Dr. Paul Leon Masters, Ph.D.

“In founding the University of Metaphysics and the University of Sedona, one of the most important reasons I did so was to bring greater legitimacy to the field of metaphysical spirituality. The field has always been under attack from extremist fundamentalist religious groups as well as academics, especially in regard to degree granting schools in the metaphysical field.

Unfortunately, the criticism has been justified in many instances by people running outright diploma mills—or others using accrediting mills. Since inception of my work in the metaphysical field in 1959 to our first graduating class of ministers in 1963, one of the first priorities was to maintain honesty and integrity. Since 1959, the intention has always been to bring further legitimacy to the metaphysical field, so that higher metaphysical education and metaphysical spirituality might gain further acceptance in the world as a realistic alternative for people who could not be nourished spiritually by traditional religions.

If you, like myself, would like to have a better acceptance of metaphysical spirituality in the world, then enroll or be a member of only schools and ministries which do not bring the field down through deceptive or misleading practices. This will give the entire field of metaphysical spirituality greater legitimacy and public acceptance of its schools, counselors, coaches, and wellness ministers.”

metaphysical Accreditation

Information for International Prospective Students

Accelerated Metaphysics degrees bestowed by metaphysical organizations are religious in nature and are earned solely by the study of metaphysical philosophy with an emphasis on spirituality. By focusing entirely on one subject - the study of metaphysical spirituality - and not including the secular subjects like Calculus, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry etc, a legitimate metaphysical institution is able to offer a home study degree program that can be completed in far less time than a secular degree —but not in little or no time, which would be a diploma mill. Because metaphysical degrees are religious in nature, the US Department of Education, under US Federal Law, can neither praise, credit, discredit, nor accredit metaphysical institutions of a religious nature.

The founding fathers of the United States of America, in order to guarantee a republic based on religious freedom, created a distinct division between the government and religion. This basic precept is commonly known to most US citizens as The Separation of Church and State, but may not be well known outside the US. Simply stated, this foremost principle of religious freedom is the government will not become involved in matters dealing with religious beliefs, or things of a spiritual nature, and no religion will seek to involve itself in governmental affairs.

Worldly or secular matters are in the domain of the US Government, while the non-secular spiritual realm of individuals and society is off-limits. Since the International Metaphysical Ministry, parent religious corporation of the University Of Metaphysics and the University Of Sedona, is legally recognized by the United States Federal Government as a non-secular, spiritual/metaphysical 501(c)(3) organization, the US Department of Education in Washington, D.C. must adhere to the founding precepts of religious freedom and The Separation of Church and State, and it must refrain from all comment, opinion, or intrusion.

Information for All Prospective Students

The US Department of Education, by law, can neither praise, credit, discredit, nor accredit a non-secular institution of Higher Consciousness/Spiritual Education. Therefore, we offer the following list of points for consideration by individuals when choosing an institution in which to pursue their Higher Consciousness Spiritual Education:

What is the history of the Institution/Organization?

We have 54 years—over half a century—of development in research, teaching, and awarding ministers diplomas and degrees. Some others have only a very few years and some are totally new and unproven to stand the test of time. Dr. Paul Leon Masters, the founder in 1959, is still the active president of our University System.

Does the Institution/Organization claim accreditation of any kind?

If so, our advice is run away as fast as you can. Why? One word: Integrity! Or rather, lack thereof.

Since valid and recognized accreditation in the real sense does not exist in the spiritual/metaphysical field, some institutions/organizations try to deceive prospective students and the public by attempting to make themselves look more reputable than they really are. They try to cover up their lack of reputation and established history by affiliating with an “accreditation mill”. One has to question the intentions and integrity of an organization that knowingly affiliates with an accreditation mill, or the intelligence behind the institution or organization that unknowingly affiliates with an accreditation mill.

The public is currently aware of the term “diploma mill” – but the term “accreditation mill” is something new and is just now beginning to come to the public’s attention. We advise prospective students to avoid any institution accredited through an accreditation mill in choosing where to study and receive a degree. You would not want your reputation to be professionally blemished by such accreditation shams, and the operators that utilize them, and have yourself identified with them, as if you, yourself, are unreputable. For an informative article by the Seattle Times about accreditation mills, please see
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... e20m0.html

Lastly, some metaphysical schools affiliate with a so-called accreditation agency whose focus of professionalism is quite a stretch to include the spiritual or metaphysical. If one is not careful, his or her degree in metaphysics may be accredited by an operation run out of a post office box that has never bothered to obtain a business license.

Does the institution/organization have actual experience in the field?

Some operators have had little or no actual experience in teaching, counseling, or ministry in the metaphysical field. So, with no hands-on real world experience, they try to teach others “how to” do that which they, themselves, have very little or any experience doing.

Dr. Masters, head of the International Metaphysical Ministry’s University System, has had large followings in his full time metaphysical ministry before some of these operators were even born. With the absence of a legitimate accreditation agency in the metaphysical spiritual realm, background and long standing experience should be a primary consideration rather than any emphasis on meaningless so-called accreditations.

In Conclusion

A metaphysical degree is only as good as the organization with which it is associated. Degrees from the University of Metaphysics and the University of Sedona are granted under the auspices of the International Metaphysical Ministry.

The International Metaphysical Ministry is the largest Holistic, New Thought, Transcendental Metaphysical Ministry in the world with successful and respected ministers, teachers, counselors, and coaches in over 120 countries. We have graduated far more ordained metaphysical ministers than any other metaphysical denomination or ministry in the world. Our reputation for over 54 years has been, and continues to be, the leader of Higher Consciousness Education in the metaphysical field.

Our University System does not use “accreditation mills”, or so called accrediting agencies, which are not recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, because it is a deceptive practice. Others operating in the metaphysical field have chosen to use accreditation mills with names that sound very impressive, even though, by their own admission, these are not recognized accreditors. We rely on our unblemished reputation of over half a century. In all that time, there has never been one complaint or action filed against any of the University System’s institutions or organizations.

What Is The Size Of The Organization? Our University System is proud of its ministers, teachers, counselors, and coaches in over 120 countries.

Does The Organization Offer A Successful, Relevant Spiritual Education? Our University System has more ordained metaphysical ministers than any metaphysical ministry in the world.

What Experience Does The Organization Have? Dr. Masters, founder of the I.M.M. University System, continues to add to his 54 years of research/teaching in practically all phases of metaphysics from A to Z—alchemy and astrology to Zen and Zoroastrianism.

Does The Organization Have A Longstanding Reputation? The International Metaphysical Ministry University System enjoys an unblemished history of over half a century—54 years.

Does The Organization Reflect Your Integrity? The International Metaphysical Ministry University System refuses to deceive the public by claiming status and value through an accreditation mill.

We believe that the University Of Metaphysics or the University Of Sedona is the wisest choice for pursuing your non-secular degree and Higher Consciousness Education. This is not a self-serving statement. It is based on 54 years of fulfilling the Higher Educational Degree needs of thousands upon thousands of students and graduates in 120 countries worldwide.

metaphysics accreditation

More On Accreditation

— Cautionary Guidance —

The Value of Accreditation from a Recognized Accrediting Agency

----Portability of educational credits within the educational system regulated by the US Government.

----Meeting educational background qualifications when applying for secular employment or admission to secular organizations.

The Non-Value of Accreditation at Schools of Metaphysical Spirituality for Use in Ministry

----Reputable accreditation doesn’t exist.

----Accreditation mills give a false expectation regarding the legitimacy of organizations, leading to harm. See Seattle Times article regarding accreditation mills:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... le20m0.htm .

----If a person’s focus is to be active in a Holistic, New Thought, Transcendental Metaphysical Ministry, there is no need that the school be accredited—only that the school’s curriculum adequately prepares its degree graduates with the schooling necessary to function in a professional ministerial capacity in the Holistic, New Thought, Transcendental Metaphysical field.

---Instead of choosing a school based on accreditation--which does not exist in the metaphysical religious field,--the choice should be centered upon the longevity of the school’s existence, the years of actual professional experience of the founder or current president of the school, and the honesty and integrity of its reputation over a long period of time.

Today’s World: Importance of Time In Operation

In the current economic climate—many businesses, including schools, are going out of business or ceasing to operate. Both common sense and intuitive spiritual sense should be applied in making a decision as to which school to choose. Only the I.M.M. University System (the University of Metaphysics and the University of Sedona) has a history of development dating back over 54 years. No other metaphysical degree-granting ministry even remotely comes close. The question to ask is, will the school I enroll in be there tomorrow so that I may finish my studies—and will they be there after I graduate?

The I.M.M. University System with a history of over 54 years’ development has proven and established that they had the spiritual and material resources and power to sustain many previous recessions in the economy. No other currently operating Metaphysical degree granting ministry comes close to this record of economic endurance.

Cautionary Guidance—Beware of Accreditation Mills

Accreditation Mills are unfortunately being used by operators of a few metaphysical degree operations. Most of these operations that use them have tried to imitate the success they have seen in the I.M.M. Universities. Because they want instant success, they have not been willing to earn it through decades as have the I.M.M. Universities. Instead they have bought so-called accreditation from accreditation mills. The names of these so-called accreditation mills sound impressive to anyone who has not looked into the subject of legitimate accreditation and what it takes for a school to be legitimately accredited. A legitimate accrediting agency, to be so, must be recognized by the United States Department of Education in Washington, D.C. The I.M.M. University System (the University of Metaphysics and the University of Sedona) has never and will never engage in such misleading accreditation mill scams for the sake of enrollments—because it has earned its reputation through a history of development covering over 54 years of honesty and integrity!

Both common sense and intuitive spiritual sense should say---that any school, metaphysical or otherwise, who builds its reputation on deception of accreditation mills, has not earned the respect worthy of a student’s enrollment.

In referring to two accrediting mill names, one metaphysical degree operation refers to them as the most prominent in the United States for accrediting a metaphysical institution. However, both of the accrediting mills are in fact run by the same individuals. To further add to the illusionary status—one school states that graduates of its school can be eligible to apply for membership in the accrediting mill organizations. It makes no sense to first sign up with a degree granting operation trying to give itself unearned status by hiding behind accrediting mills, and what could be even more foolish than anybody wanting to be a member of an accrediting mill upon graduating from an operation that publicizes itself as being accredited by an accrediting mill.

Real accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education charge schools applying for accreditation thousands of dollars to have the school thoroughly checked out as far as its academic standards, faculty, etc. On site inspections of schools is necessary, and it may take some schools years before they meet the criteria necessary to be accredited. Even after having received accreditation, it may be revoked if the school fails to maintain accreditation standards.

Accrediting mills that mention being used by a few metaphysical schools as well as by some in alternative health fields, require only filling out a simple form and mailing in less than $300.00 to the operator of the mills. Obviously, it’s no way going to be recognized as a legitimate accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education.

To check on the legitimacy of any organization claiming to be an accrediting agency, contact the U.S. Department of Education at http://www.ed.gov or at

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)

Be Internet Savvy!

The internet can be a wonderful place to learn much or it can be a breeding ground for falsehoods, misrepresentations, and impersonations.

In recent years a few unscrupulous operators have tried to duplicate the earned success of the University of Metaphysics through the internet to make their listings appear as though they are the real University of Metaphysics---even going so far as to headline their listings with the name University of Metaphysics. Others have added a name either before or after the words University of Metaphysics. Others, using the name University of Metaphysics in their listings, have created web sites so they can sell advertising by capitalizing on the earned reputation of the University of Metaphysics. Needless to say, the I.M.M.’s legal counsel, now numbering many attorneys, has had a good amount of activity in dealing with going after misrepresentations. So—be internet savvy by checking with our Administration Department before accepting on face value, that any listing or paid ad has any real connection to either the University of Metaphysics or the University of Sedona.
TheObserver

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 am

Ugh, the only thing worse than bullshit is longwinded bullshit. There's nothing in the constitution that prevents accrediting agencies -- which are private, not public -- from accrediting schools of a religious nature. Indeed some accreditors, like AARTS and ATS, exist to do exactly that. It's hardly an integrity issue to avoid external validation of your legitimacy, in fact it's quite the opposite.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby TheObserver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:19 am

Accelerated Metaphysics degrees bestowed by metaphysical organizations are religious in nature and are earned solely by the study of metaphysical philosophy with an emphasis on spirituality. By focusing entirely on one subject - the study of metaphysical spirituality - and not including the secular subjects like Calculus, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry etc, a legitimate metaphysical institution is able to offer a home study degree program that can be completed in far less time than a secular degree —but not in little or no time, which would be a diploma mill. Because metaphysical degrees are religious in nature, [i]the US Department of Education, under US Federal Law, can neither praise, credit, discredit, nor accredit metaphysical institutions of a religious nature.
[/i]
TheObserver

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Oh, okay, then let students pay tuition in metaphysical dollars rather than in U.S. currency.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:46 pm

TheObserver wrote:Accelerated Metaphysics degrees bestowed by metaphysical organizations are religious in nature and are earned solely by the study of metaphysical philosophy with an emphasis on spirituality. By focusing entirely on one subject - the study of metaphysical spirituality - and not including the secular subjects like Calculus, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry etc, a legitimate metaphysical institution is able to offer a home study degree program that can be completed in far less time than a secular degree —but not in little or no time, which would be a diploma mill. Because metaphysical degrees are religious in nature, the US Department of Education, under US Federal Law, can neither praise, credit, discredit, nor accredit metaphysical institutions of a religious nature.

The U.S. Department of Education doesn't accredit any school, nor does any other tentacle of the federal government. Accreditation in the U.S. is done by private organizations. As a libertarian myself I'm well aware that all some charlatans have to do is say "government! government!" and there are freetards out there who will embrace whatever nonsense they're selling just to show how much they dislike the state. But that doesn't mean you're not slinging nonsense -- because that's exactly what you're doing.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs