Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby Tark » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 am

SABI offers JD degrees, but with one little caveat:
The Doctor of Jurisprudence is a professional doctorate in International Law ... Graduates may not be entitled for admission to Bar Associations.

This raises the question: are SABI JD graduates "entitled for admission to Bar Associations" anywhere ?

If not, then perhaps there is reason to be skeptical about the value of a "professional" degree that costs $20,000, but does not actually provide entry into a profession.
Last edited by Tark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tark

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 am

Such a J.D. Is no professional degree at all I think but even my beloved Taft Law School finally broke down and started offering a non-bar J.D. :cry:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Tark » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:24 am

One of SABI's more impressive marketing strategies is a free iPad, which comes preloaded with "SABI Education and Career Solution" (SECS) software:
With SECS, you no longer need to sit in classes in old-fashioned schools to continue your studies. You no longer need to waste your time stuck in traffic jams en route to campus or carry a large number of books and handouts. You don’t even have to worry about missing one of your classes. Because, SECS is already installed on your iPad.

SABI offers you your own personal iPad so you can watch all of your classes as many times as you wish.

Needless to say, SECS is a great acronym (possible slogans: "You'll be passionate about your studies when they include SECS" or maybe "Enroll at SABI and enjoy SECS" or perhaps "School is not so hard after SECS")

SABI also offers a special 1000-euro scholarship for female students only. Unfortunately, those who take advantage of this offer don't get the free iPad, and so it's not clear whether they get to have SECS.
Tark

Postby dragonlion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:19 pm

In late 2012, they said they will get EFMD CEL accreditation, but so far they changed their tone again!!!
dragonlion

Postby johann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 pm

dragonlion wrote:In late 2012, they said they will get EFMD CEL accreditation, but so far they changed their tone again!!!

No, they haven't. From the SABI website, today: "SABI has applied for EFMD CEL and ECBE accreditations."

Although I don't particularly care about this school, despite the allure of SECS and IPads, I don't like to see it slagged unfairly.
If you're going to slag, do it fairly! :)

For instance, I see no evidence that this school is run "by refugees from Islamic countries." An article I read about Dr. Parsa specifically stated that he was not a refugee from Iran. He opposed the Iranian Government, but did not leave as a refugee, although it's not, he grants, safe for him to return. There is a lady on the faculty who, although she has an Iranian surname, was born in Paris. Another received her higher education in Tunis. Nothing about her being a refugee, either. There are French names on the faculty and -- Heavens! -- one person even appears to have a Jewish name! :shock:

According to what I read, Dr. Parsa earned his doctorate in Paris and worked as a human rights lawyer for 10 years, prior to founding SABI.
The article was about his opposition to an Islamic political party in Finland. He felt it was a "fanatical Islamic group... dangerous to Finnish society."

Nothing against Dr. Parsa or his faculty and staff, but even so, I'm not particularly fond of his as-yet unaccredited school. I'm also not fond of casually-tossed, unthinking remarks about people not being able to provide anything of quality because they're "refugees from Islamic countries" - whether, in fact, they are refugees, from Islamic countries, or neither. :(

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am

johann wrote:-- Heavens! -- one person even appears to have a Jewish name! :shock:

My apologies to all concerned. On re-reading, the name is clearly of German, not Yiddish origin. Must get new glasses!

But hey --it could happen! :)

My point is still the same. Slag fairly -- not with an ethnic or religious bias.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am

Not always so clear. I wouldn't worry about it.

How do you say "fraud" in Yiddish? I have a couple of Hebrew words for it but they don't really mean the same thing.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 am

nosborne48 wrote:How do you say "fraud" in Yiddish?.

Shvindel. It's like "swindle" in English and "Schwindel" in German. :)

Johann
johann

Postby lylylya » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello,

Really thank you for your answers

Regards.
lylylya

Postby eeniasf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Has anyone of you except "dragonlion", who clearly has racial prejudices, taken any courses in Scandinavian art and business institute?

This fall I started on their DBA dual degree with IPAG (which is by the way a state recognized university in FRANCE) and I must say that so far I have been very happy with their way of work. I have a clear schedule with online courses and at the end of each course before our exams we have one day's workshop with the teachers (I do it from distance by Webex since I am not located in Paris), which are exteremely helpful. we use their online platform where we can contact the teachers online, for oral exams they use webex. We can also post our questions on the intranet and flipboard and also follow our own performance.

I think one of the things they have to do is to give people access to their platform to experience it so they get a clearer view of what online belended and online studies really are because at least for me it is very practical.

As for the legitimity, they follow all the standards of European accredation agencies and frankly if their degrees were not legitimate or fraud then how come they cooperate with state business schools?

Another thing that comes to mind is that they offer executive programs. The executive programs provided by different universities are not state recognized in any countries. I researched quite alot before starting there and I found out that for instance the MBA and DBA programs which are provided by Finnish state universities are not state recognized in Finland. So all these talks about state recognition doesn't really apply here.

Just thought to give a more objective view to those who are looking for a place to study. I know I would have appreciated it myself when I was searching for a place to study :D
eeniasf

Postby mbwa shenzi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 pm

eeniasf wrote:As for the legitimity, they follow all the standards of European accredation agencies

To follow all the standards of European accreditation agencies - and I'm interested to hear more about what agencies that might be - is not necessarily the same thing as being accredited.
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby johann » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm

mbwa shenzi wrote:To follow all the standards of European accreditation agencies - and I'm interested to hear more about what agencies that might be - is not necessarily the same thing as being accredited.

Of course it isn't. I'm not saying this against SABI, or saying it totally lacks legitimacy - but we've already established that its degrees, despite whatever quality the programs may have, do not have mainstream - or perhaps any standing in Finland - simply because it is not an established State Finnish University or Polytechnic. It is a private supplier of educational services and answerable only to its customers in what it provides. SABI can follow established accreditors' procedures - no matter whose - all it wants - but that in itself will not give their degrees any standing.

As to their co-operation with a recognized (French) State school - well, that's a great step - and recognition of a sort. But the resulting degree will have no standing unless the State School's name appears on the diploma as (one of) the institution(s) granting the degree. Does it?

Please note - I'm not saying SABI degrees are fraudulent - or illegal. They clearly aren't. But they don't have the standing of mainstream Finnish degrees and I think the jury is still out, determining what standing, if any, they have. In several countries, there are plenty of legally-conferred degrees, some of fair quality, that will get the recipient nowhere, re: employment or further study. Notable countries of issue include Panama, Switzerland, Mexico, Nicaragua and some Caribbean jurisdictions.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

BTW - IPAG is a private school - not a State University.

I'm not saying anything against that. Its own diplomas have French Ministry recognition as a BAC +5 (roughly a Master's) and it has numerous joint degree programs with other universities, e.g. U. of Greenwich, U. of Nottingham and U. of South Wales. No, not the disastrous UoW validation scheme that came to grief some time ago.

It looks like a very good school and its own - and joint - diplomas appear to have good standing. IPAG does not appear to be a State school; it is private, and, I believe established as an Association according to a French law of 1901. I think I've heard of that law somewhere before. :) Its degrees are Ministry-recognized, though. IPAG claims many partnerships - an impressive list of Universities world-wide, about a dozen of them in the US.

IPAG's "Partners Page" is here: http://www.ipag.fr/en/international/etu ... rtenaires/

If one can study at SABI and get an IPAG degree - I think that would be OK! :) If that's what's happening, I wish you all the best, eeniasf!

Johann
Last edited by johann on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 pm

johann wrote:In several countries, there are plenty of legally-conferred degrees, some of fair quality, that will get the recipient nowhere, re: employment or further study. Notable countries of issue include Panama, Switzerland, Mexico, Nicaragua and some Caribbean jurisdictions.

...and the United States.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:...and the United States.

How true!

Johann
johann

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs