Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby g-gollin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Anybody know anything about the Scandinavian Art & Business Institute?
g-gollin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:03 am
Location: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Like a "Swiss Cantonal" deal. Private University - can legally grant degrees which don't, however, have the standing of mainstream Finnish University degrees. They're upfront about it, as shown below in this excerpt from their page.

Scandinavian Art and Business Institute is a Finnish private higher education institute. According to the Finnish ministry of education’s decision dated 29.10.2009, based on the freedom of trade and information protected by Finnish constitutional law, SABI is authorized to operate in Finland as a private institute and it is not part of Finnish Higher Education System, therefore SABI degrees are not same as degrees issued by Finnish universities or polytechnics and considered as Private Degree - therefore, the SABI degrees may not qualify for the vacancy at the university or at other public institutions in Finland. All legal information are available at SABI President Bureau (president@sabi.eu.com) and applicants can contact this bureau to receive all legal information. Additionally, all MBA and DBA programs offered by Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences, are one form of further training and they are not part of the official degree system because they have not been mentioned in the Decree on the System of Higher Education Degrees (464/1998). Therefore, SABI MBA and DBA degrees has same position as other business schools in Finland.

If you want my opinion (or even if you don't :) ) I think such schools - as long as they teach well and do not deceive people - have a rightful place in the scheme of things. The requirements of opening a new "mainstream" school make it well-nigh impossible in many countries. We have discussed that point (esp. Switzerland) in other threads.

I wish them every success. Looks like a sincere effort.

Johann
Last edited by johann on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby g-gollin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen a copy of a November 2009 letter to the SABI president purportedly signed by the director of the Finnish Ministry of Education?
g-gollin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:03 am
Location: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Um...no, Dr. Gollin. Can't say as I have. If it's in Finnish, I couldn't read it. :) Might be able to get a look at a copy by enquiring here, though... "All legal information are available at SABI President Bureau (president@sabi.eu.com) and applicants can contact this bureau to receive all legal information" The President is Dr. Adlan Parsa.

I twigged to the fact that this school seems to specialize (to some extent) in teaching foreign students, on-campus. That's not a bad thing in itself at all, but unscrupulous people have done terrible things with such schools -- notably in England and also in the US. Cases have come to light where immigrant students have been bilked by receiving substandard instruction for exorbitant fees, bait-and-switch of qualifications, and even (in at least one US case) hired-out as cheap, semi-forced labour. Many of the culprit school-owners hail from the same countries as their victims.

I'm not suggesting this is the case here -- just something that requires much caution whenever a prospective student contemplates study abroad.

Johann
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Alarm bells are starting to go off here!

(1) I re-read SABI President's statement. There may be no such letter to SABI as Dr. Gollin enquired about. The Pres. says SABI is authorized to operate as a result of a decision of the Finnish Ministry dated 2009. Doesn't look like there was specific mention of SABI or a letter to them involved.

(2) I scoured the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture site - which is available in excellent English and well-organized. The search-gadget turned up NO mention of SABI whatsoever. I could not find reference to the decision that allowed Private Universities like SABI either -- although I have no compelling reason (so far) to doubt its existence. See for yourselves -- http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Koulutus/?lang=en

(3) Not only does SABI not show on the lists of mainstream Finnish Universities - as I said, it does not show up at all, under any heading on the site. It may be an (old-style) Alabama thing, or a Panama one, for that matter: "Get revenue! Get these schools to pay for licenses - then ignore 'em. Above all, do not approve the degrees."

(4) Some external links on SABI included trolling for students in Malaysia -- not very encouraging, as the same methods (and in some cases, sites) have been extensively used - not always by the best of schools.

If they're honest - I still wish 'em the best. If not --- give 'em hell!

Johann
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 am

If you judge a school by its Youtube presence - then you may not want SABI. It has 11 videos so far. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... CT7tQ&NR=1

They contain misinformation and innuendo. One says "European degree" and shows the EU flag -- well, at least it's not the Finnish flag! Kinda like Preston's use of the term "American degree" back when it was Alabama-licensed. It's "European" I guess but recognized in Europe -or anywhere - that's another matter.

The sample shows SABI's French presence as "an accredited Finnish school in Paris." It ain't accredited. Says so on the mother-site! Takes pains to say it's not accredited - by real or bogus agencies. Then they come out with this! What the h___?

Dezinformatsiya, as the late Uncle J. used to say. Bullsh*!, I say -- but then I don't have his eloquence...

Johann
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 pm

If the President of SABI, Dr. Parsa is referring to the Universities Bill of 2009, then, well -- I need to see more....

I found the Bill on the Ministry site, after all. The main provisions that it deals with are:

(1) A change from State to private status of Universities - protection of pensions etc. for employees throughout the change.
(2) Many changes in asset ownership and capital - designed to enable universities to succeed as private entities
(3) Allowing tuition charges for programs designed for foreigners (outside EU) (University ed. still free of charge to Finns, as always)

Didn't see anything regarding set-up of new class of Uni's like SABI, offering less-than-mainstream degree-standing. Hmmmm ---

Here's a summary, anyway. I believe the full text is also available:

http://www.minedu.fi/export/sites/defau ... 2.2009.pdf

Johann
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby Suula » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am

Here is the actual text from the Ministry's letter of 29.10.2009.

"Dear Dr Parsa

You have requested that Scandinavian Art & Business Institute (SABI) be included in the Finnish higher education system.

The universities which operate in the Ministry of Education sector and belong to the Finnish higher education system are governed by the Universities Act (645/1997), and from 1.1.2010 onwards by the new Universities Act (558/2009). Polytechnics operating in the Ministry of Education sector are governed by the Polytechnics Act (351/2003). The polytechnics and universities form the Finnish higher education system. The degrees awarded by these institutions are determined in a Decree (464/1998).

There is no accrediting system in Finland. The new Universities Act, passed by Parliament this year, will reduce the number of universities from 20 to 16. The Ministry of Education estimates that no new uni-versities belonging to the Finnish higher education system will be es-tablished in the near future.

Under the Polytechnics Act, the government may authorise a local au-thority, a joint municipal authority or a registered Finnish organisation or foundation to run a polytechnic. In current structural development of higher education, the aim is to reduce the number of polytechnics from the present 27 to clearly under 20.

According to government policy, there are a sufficient number of higher education institutions in Finland and no need to establish new ones.

According to the principle of freedom of trade, a private person or or-ganisation may supply educational services in Finland. The supplier of these services is answerable to the clients that the services supplied correspond to the information provided in marketing. "

A copy of the letter can be asked from the Ministry of Education (and Culture, since May 2011) with a registration number 52/591/2009.

Suula
Suula
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 am

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Thankyou, Suula. It appears that a private school like SABI may set up in Finland, outside the national education system - and is answerable to its customers, not the Finnish Government, as to the quality of what it provides.

It also looks like this statement of SABI's is true: "therefore SABI degrees are not same as degrees issued by Finnish universities or polytechnics."

I think this statement and the Ministry's letter override any advertising claims mentioning accreditation or degree equivalence with those of mainstream Universities or Polytechnics anywhere. As I first thought, SABI degrees are like Swiss Cantonal degrees. They're legally conferred, but do not necessarily have any standing - in their own country or anywhere else.

"Caveat emptor" is probably the most useful Latin phrase I ever learned. How do you say "buyer beware" in Finnish - Ostaja varoa? :)

Johann
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby lylylya » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello,

I wonder if you have any concrete information

What do you think about SABI? is this a serious institute? is it recognized internationally?

because I want to get it register for a DBA (Doctor of Business Administration)

thank you for your answers
lylylya
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 pm

lylylya wrote:Hello,

I wonder if you have any concrete information

What do you think about SABI? is this a serious institute? is it recognized internationally?

because I want to get it register for a DBA (Doctor of Business Administration)

thank you for your answers


You are considering registering for a doctorate a school you know nothing about? Have you contacted them? Have you had conversations with their staff? Have you checked out their faculty? Have you looked at 3rd-party resources to see if the school is recognized and legitimate? Have you examined the curriculum for the DBA and determined that it meets your needs?

I always wonder when it sounds like a person's very first foray into determining the nature of a school is an anonymous post to a site like this.

Do you think it's recognized? Do you think it is "serious"? Do you think the curriculum is right? Please do some checking on your own, then post here what you've found. Others may be more able to help then.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby lylylya » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:
lylylya wrote:Hello,

I wonder if you have any concrete information

What do you think about SABI? is this a serious institute? is it recognized internationally?

because I want to get it register for a DBA (Doctor of Business Administration)

thank you for your answers


You are considering registering for a doctorate a school you know nothing about? Have you contacted them? Have you had conversations with their staff? Have you checked out their faculty? Have you looked at 3rd-party resources to see if the school is recognized and legitimate? Have you examined the curriculum for the DBA and determined that it meets your needs?

I always wonder when it sounds like a person's very first foray into determining the nature of a school is an anonymous post to a site like this.

Do you think it's recognized? Do you think it is "serious"? Do you think the curriculum is right? Please do some checking on your own, then post here what you've found. Others may be more able to help then.


who want this kind of response, no thank you

if I'm here, it's to get information out of the institute

well; Of course I got information at the institute

Now I want some advice from people who study there or know people over there; to see if it is serious and recognized

Now I would like to have pertinent answers and serious, not like the one above

thank you :mrgreen:
lylylya
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby dragonlion » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Please don't waste your money, I have been taking their courses, the quality is very bad!!! For the majority of their courses, they simply use other video courses fro the great course series of some popular programs, plus the instructions on the sites are written by some Arabs whom lack of the English proficiency. The entity itself is runned by former Islamic refugees in Finland. So think about yourself if that can be any quality?
dragonlion
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:50 am

lylylya wrote:
who want this kind of response, no thank you

if I'm here, it's to get information out of the institute

well; Of course I got information at the institute

Now I want some advice from people who study there or know people over there; to see if it is serious and recognized

Now I would like to have pertinent answers and serious, not like the one above

thank you :mrgreen:


Oh, my. I don't think you'll find anyone "who study there or know people over there; to see if it is serious and recognized." Good luck with your education.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby johann » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 pm

dragonlion wrote:The entity itself is runned by former Islamic refugees in Finland. So think about yourself if that can be any quality?

Why not? Because they're Muslims? Because they're refugees?

I don't like the sound of that at all. I don't think this is a good school either -- but what has nationality or religion got to do with it? Good luck with your education, too. :roll:
johann
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron