"Conspiracy" they say - College Inflationary Spiral

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

"Conspiracy" they say - College Inflationary Spiral

Postby johann » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi

As if we (at least I) didn't waste enough time on Youtube, here's a link to the NIA's take on the situation -or conspiracy, as they see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5rg8bt8c_w

This is my first exposure to the NIA and I don't care much for them - but they've made some excellent points here, e.g. $3-5 million salaries for College Football Coaches! (They name-and-shame them.) Those salaries are insane! If you don't have time for the whole vid, it boils down to:

(1) Not everybody should go to college.
(2) The current situation is unsustainable and enslaves students by debt.
(3) DL will save the day, lots of B&M schools will fold.
(4) In the coming hyperinflation, make sure you have gold/silver coins, lots of ammunition, and can grow food.

Where I live, our higher-ed system has some of the same problems, but like all things Canadian, even our scams and scandals are much smaller and duller than those in the US. :)

Johann
johann

Re: "Conspiracy" they say - College Inflationary Spiral

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:56 pm

U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Neb.) Has on occasion asked a very good question: What kind of NON-PROFIT, TAX-EXEMPT entity pays ANYONE on its staff more than $1 million per year? I personally would like very much for these institutions, even if they are State institutions, to lose their tax-exemptions. It's not that they make a profit, exactly, but donations made to them should not be deductible to the donor and all of their portfolio income from investments should be taxed.

Everything in the U.S. is bigger and less dull than it is in Canada. Even our institutional idiocy. :roll:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby GeeBee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 pm

johann wrote: e.g. $3-5 million salaries for College Football Coaches! (They name-and-shame them.) Those salaries are insane!

If the <insert discipline here> program generated the sort of revenue for the university that the football program does, then <insert discipline here> professors would get $3-5 million salaries.

The athletic department is probably the only department in most State Universities that shows a profit.
GeeBee

Postby johann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:15 pm

GeeBee wrote:If the <insert discipline here> program generated the sort of revenue for the university that the football program does, then <insert discipline here> professors would get $3-5 million salaries.

Yes - and of course it'll never happen. A sad comment on our meretricious society. As I see it, there shouldn't be any money in college athletics, but of course, there is - tons. I've always shunned professional sports, because it pains me to see someone whose sole skill is throwing a ball and/or downing another player, make up to 30, 40 or even 50 times as much as a doctor - someone who saves lives daily. The answer I always get when I ask why - "because the Doc can't fill a stadium."

I once thought there should be a league where athletes played for love of the game and minimum wage - then I realized that here in Canada, we HAVE one. It's called the CFL - Canadian Football League. :D

johann wrote:...like all things Canadian, even our scams and scandals are much smaller and duller than those in the US.

Like I said -- you have Bernie Madoff. BILLIONS! The 'baddest' we can muster is Earl Jones. 50 MILLION! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... ponzi.html
johann wrote:In the coming hyperinflation, make sure you have gold/silver coins, lots of ammunition, and can grow food.

And it might not be a bad idea to start learning Chinese, hao ma? :)

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

johann wrote:I once thought there should be a league where athletes played for love of the game and minimum wage - then I realized that here in Canada, we HAVE one. It's called the CFL - Canadian Football League. :D

I still remember when Baltimore won the Grey Cup in '95. Strangely, the CFL killed off American teams right after that....
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

I think "killed off" may be a bit strong, Steve. The Baltimore team re-located to Canada after 2 years. Granted, the CFL doesn't have any American teams now - but the entire league is composed of only 8 teams!

"The Baltimore Stallions were a Canadian football team based in Baltimore, Maryland, which played the 1994 and 1995 seasons. They were the most successful American team in the Canadian Football League having two winning seasons, a division title and, in 1995, became the only American team to win the Grey Cup. Following the relocation of the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore to become the Baltimore Ravens, the club relocated to Montreal to become the current version of the Montreal Alouettes". - WIki

Doubt if any US teams would want to be in the CFL - no money. We have lots of American players in the CFL who are good, but are here because they weren't able to secure spots in the much-better-paying NFL. I live quite close to a CFL stadium and have occasionally given directions to that stadium, to beefy, muscular newly-arrived gentlemen driving Jaguars and other fancy rides, with Louisiana and Florida, etc. plates.

I have spent roughly 40 years of my life in this town, on and off and have never been inside the stadium.

Old joke:

"Welcome to the USA - land of Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Stevie Wonder."
"Welcome to Canada - no Cash, no Hope ...no Wonder!
:(

Johann
johann

Postby BrandeX » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Universities in this country (China) seem to get by without any athletics programs at all.
BrandeX

Postby johann » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:51 pm

BrandeX wrote:Universities in this country (China) seem to get by without any athletics programs at all.

Yes - China sends us manufactured goods (and also exports food). We send them all the money we have, so they can run their universities quite well! :) ...Seriously - running universities without the distraction of huge, crazy-expensive athletics programs might be a good lesson to learn, as I see it.

College athletics is not nearly so money-mad, crowded and crazy in Canada as it is in the US -- mostly just a time-waster. However, when I become Czar of all North America, none of these programs will escape being dismantled! :)

Johann
johann

Return to Money Matters