University of Metaphysics

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

University of Metaphysics

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 pm

For many years I have been interested in metaphysics. So, a while ago I enrolled in the doctoral program at the University of Metaphysics. I am learning information about metaphysical Christianity that I didn't know and there is considerable discussion regarding Jungian psychology, much of what I already know. The material on Yoga and dream analysis/interpretation is wonderfully presented.

My dissertation will focus on the mystical life and secret doctrines of Jesus using materials from the Rosicrucian H. Lewis Spencer, Christian Science, Unity School of Christianity, Religious Science, and other Rosicrucian literature. Back in the late '80's, I was a member of the The Ancient Mystical Order of the Rosae Crucis and found their studies fascinating.

I am fully aware the school is not accredited but that's okay with me. I am having fun studying the material as I await to begin accredited doctoral studies soon.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Re: University of Metaphysics

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Yabbut Jimmy...if you don't take "Income Taxation of Partners and Partnership", who's gonna hire you for the big bucks? :wink:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi

I've corresponded with others who have attended this school, Jimmy, and all had good impressions and agreed they were learning about what they really wanted to know. I found this remark on the school's site to be very interesting:

"...we rely on our unblemished reputation of nearly half a century. In all that time, there has never been one complaint or action filed against any of the University System’s institutions or organizations."

They make this type of knowledge available at a price affordable by most or all who seek it.

50 years with no complaints -- that's a stellar record, all right - for any school - accredited or not!

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:54 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Yabbut Jimmy...if you don't take "Income Taxation of Partners and Partnership", who's gonna hire you for the big bucks? :wink:

Perhaps what I learned in my paralegal studies will suffice. :wink:
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:56 pm

johann wrote:Hi

I've corresponded with others who have attended this school, Jimmy, and all had good impressions and agreed they were learning about what they really wanted to know. I found this remark on the school's site to be very interesting:

"...we rely on our unblemished reputation of nearly half a century. In all that time, there has never been one complaint or action filed against any of the University System’s institutions or organizations."

They make this type of knowledge available at a price affordable by most or all who seek it.

50 years with no complaints -- that's a stellar record, all right - for any school - accredited or not!

Johann

Would be interesting to do some investigation of this claim, nonetheless. Anyway, thanks for your comments.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby John Bear » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:40 am

I haven't looked at them for quite a while, but I used to be troubled by their program offering the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate in which all three could be earned in one year.
John Bear

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

John Bear wrote:I haven't looked at them for quite a while, but I used to be troubled by their program offering the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate in which all three could be earned in one year.

I understand your concern but this isn't a traditional program of studies.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Jimmy wrote:For many years I have been interested in metaphysics. So, a while ago I enrolled in the doctoral program at the University of Metaphysics. I am learning information about metaphysical Christianity that I didn't know and there is considerable discussion regarding Jungian psychology, much of what I already know. The material on Yoga and dream analysis/interpretation is wonderfully presented.

I'm glad that you like the University of Metaphysics. Education is where each of us finds it. My own educational activities at the present time are all through unaccredited sources. But... none of them award academic credits or degrees either. I'm not really expecting anyone else to believe anything about these studies.

So, here's the question -- is there anything that might persuade other people to think that a doctoral degree from the University of Metaphysics is a meaningful academic credential? I have to say that right now, as things stand, I don't believe that this school's degrees are credible. Maybe I'm wrong.

Back in the late '80's, I was a member of the The Ancient Mystical Order of the Rosae Crucis and found their studies fascinating.

I'm reasonably familiar with AMORC, mainly because I live in Silicon Valley and enjoy visiting their extremely fascinating Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose.

http://www.rosicrucianegyptianmuseum.org/

AMORC offers a free correspondence course to its members, but it's never really appealed to me. As far as I know, they don't award any degrees. Or more accurately, they award lots of degrees, but they are like Masonic degrees and aren't academic degrees.

That's probably the most responsible way to do it, in my opinion.
Hungry Ghost

Postby ShotoJuku » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Jimmy wrote:For many years I have been interested in metaphysics. So, a while ago I enrolled in the doctoral program at the University of Metaphysics. I am learning information about metaphysical Christianity that I didn't know and there is considerable discussion regarding Jungian psychology, much of what I already know. The material on Yoga and dream analysis/interpretation is wonderfully presented.

My dissertation will focus on the mystical life and secret doctrines of Jesus using materials from the Rosicrucian H. Lewis Spencer, Christian Science, Unity School of Christianity, Religious Science, and other Rosicrucian literature. Back in the late '80's, I was a member of the The Ancient Mystical Order of the Rosae Crucis and found their studies fascinating.

I am fully aware the school is not accredited but that's okay with me. I am having fun studying the material as I await to begin accredited doctoral studies soon.

Congrats Jimmy, the program looks quite interesting indeed.

On a semi-related note, and I don't want to hijack your thread, but may I ask your opinion of Andersonville Theological Seminary?

Thanks!
ShotoJuku +
AS, BS, MS, MBA, Ed.D Underway
ShotoJuku

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:15 pm

John Bear wrote:I haven't looked at them for quite a while, but I used to be troubled by their program offering the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate in which all three could be earned in one year.

The 'accreditation' page is misleading.

http://www.metaphysics.com/prospectus/a ... hysics.htm

Since the International Metaphysical Ministry University System of the University Of Metaphysics and the University Of Sedona is legally recognized by the United States Federal Government as a non-secular / spiritual / metaphysical 501(c)3 organization, the US Department of Education in Washington D.C. must adhere to the founding precepts of religious freedom and refrain from ALL comment, opinion, or intrusion.

The implication being that the Dept. of Education is the party that accredits schools, so that separation of church and state makes accreditation of religious schools both inappropriate and impossible.

They go on to give some advice as to what to look for in a credible 'spiritual'/'metaphysical' school:

Does the Institution / Organization claim accreditation of any kind?

If so, our advice is run away as fast as you can. Why? One word: Integrity! Or rather, lack thereof. Since valid and recognized accreditation in the real sense does not exist in the spiritual / metaphysical field, some institutions / organizations try to deceive prospective students and the public by attempting to make themselves look more reputable than they really are.

Of course in reality there are no end of fully-accredited programs in just about every religious tradition on earth, as well as schools like the University of Philosophical Research (DETC) and California Institute of Integral Studies (WASC) that happily address more alternative topics. There's even Maharishi's NCA/HLC-accredited university out there, levitating above the Iowa cornfields like a flying saucer.

That's not to say that accredited schools must the only option in these areas. But I think that the U. of M.'s argument that accreditation isn't applicable in the "spiritual/metaphysical" field, so that any schools that persist in claiming accreditation should simply be avoided, is false and misleading.
Hungry Ghost

Postby levicoff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:22 pm

(Text deleted due to accidental dupe.)
Last edited by levicoff on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levicoff

Postby levicoff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 pm

I find it fascinating that one word that has not apeared in this thread thus far is mill. But seriously, folks, is there anyone in this joint who does not believe we're talking about a mill here?

I'll grant them this - it's a very charming mill. And one of the oldest of which I am aware. I heard of these folks long before I even read my first book by John Bear.

But if it walks like a duck, etc. - let's face it, this is a mill.

Now, Jimmy has earned his credibility here over the years. He's warm, fuzzy, lovable, and loves to fetch. On top of all that, he's a nice guy. So I have no problem with the notion that Jimmy actually learn something from this, um, mill.

But my problem isn't with Jimmy - it's with the wazoos who (1) seriously believe that they're earning an actual doctorate from a so-called school like this, and (2) use their doctorate as an everyday title for themselves, especially in the realm of what they purport to be a professional practice.

C'mon, people, $900 for a combined bachelor's, master's, and doctorate? That alone should raise the proverbial red flag.

But historically, U. of M. is a fun bunch of people - kind of like the Universal Life Church. They've been at it forever, back to the days that "Draw Sparky the Squirrel" (or whatever that squirrel's name was) appeared on matchbook covers and so-called schools advertised in comic books and the National Enquirer.

So have fun with it, Jimmy. Just as I had fun, when I was 16 years old, with the fake doctorate I had from Immanuel Baptist College (which cost a whopping $10). But don't ever take it seriously.

And, when all is said and done, you can say that you share the alma mater of Della Reese. :lol:
levicoff

Postby johann » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 am

levicoff wrote:I find it fascinating that one word that has not apeared in this thread thus far is mill.

Dr. Steve -
We didn't say nuthin' ...'cause it's Jimmy...an' he's doin' it strickly fer the love of larnin'. If it was some wazoo, gonna hang out a shingle as a full-time (or even partickle :) ) metaphysicist... Well then, we'd uv let 'im have both barrels. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 am

Well, guess I expected some of the comments. UOM is what each person percieves it to be, I guess. I have no problem with it as an alternate, non-traditional school. But there again, I have unorthodox views about most things--academics, religion, psychology, etc. I do have some concerns about it but not enough to keep me from studying there.

H.G., you are very lucky to have opportunities to visit the AMORC museum. From pictures it looks beautiful and enchanting. How did you like your tour/visit?

Steve, I knew you would classify UOM as as mill. That's fine. It's a good learning institution but H.G. is right, degrees shouldn't really be offered. Certificates would probably be more appropriate. And yes, I am having fun learning about metaphysics. Well, Steve, yes Della is a graduate but she's not Roma Downey!

Johann, thanks. You're very kind. I think most on here know me well enough by now to avoid being harsh when I choose to study at unaccredited schools since I have four degrees from accredited schools and will soon enter an accredited doctoral program.

ShotoJuku, Andersonville is classifed as a mill by many on this board. Liberty degrees are held by some at Liberty. I think the school has improved quite a bit during the past several years but I don't think it's as rigorous as it needs to be to really be credible. For independent Baptists it appears to meet their needs.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jack » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:29 am

johann wrote:
levicoff wrote:I find it fascinating that one word that has not apeared in this thread thus far is mill.

Dr. Steve -
We didn't say nuthin' ...'cause it's Jimmy...an' he's doin' it strickly fer the love of larnin'. If it was some wazoo, gonna hang out a shingle as a full-time (or even partickle :) ) metaphysicist... Well then, we'd uv let 'im have both barrels. :)

Johann

I know what you're saying but here's the piece that you forgot. There are lots of people who read these threads who don't know you or me or Steve or Jimmy. They just read the thread and subsequently come away with the idea that this is actually a respected degree program. It's not.
Jack

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs