"DLT" discussion forum

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Postby uncle janko » Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Does that Illinois law apply to the protrusions on DLTuchus?
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

transitivity

Postby uncle janko » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:45 am

Dr Hill has accused Mr Arminius of being brainwashed by "RA". I do not think this is so, but it is possible in Mr Arminius' case, while impossible in Dr Hill's.
uncle janko

benefit of clergy

Postby uncle janko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Herbert Spencer (previously and conclusively identified) is now smearing Princeton University and its doctoral procedures. I guess when one's doctorate is from the renamed and then imploded University of Biblical Studies one knows what's wrong with Princeton University.
uncle janko

a real PhD

Postby g-gollin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 pm

I take it that the YoodleNoodles at DLBeanbag are confused about how research in elementary particle physics proceeds.

In case you're curious (they're not, actually): in the late 1970's experiments tended to be performed by collaborations comprising under two-dozen physicists. My thesis experiment had groups from Berkeley, Fermilab, and Princeton. We studied deep inelastic muon-nucleon scattering with the intention of

(1) measuring the internal structure of nucleons at high momentum transfer (that really means at small distance scales);
(2) determining if the then-new theory of the strong interactions ("quantum chromodynamics," or QCD) was able to describe the production of heavy quarks in virtual photon-nucleon scattering;
(3) determining if the old vector meson dominance model for the production of spin-1 mesons also applied to bound charm-anti-charm vector mesons like the J/psi;
(4) hunting for things not already known to be in the particle zoo.

The Berkeley group was the largest, with two professors, three senior research scientists, one postdoc, and three graduate students. They were assisted by an engineer and several technicians. The Princeton group had two two professors and one graduate student (me!). We had two engineers and several technicians working with us. The Fermilab group had a small number of staff scientists and a postdoc.

Berkeley built the multiwire proportional chambers, trigger hodoscopes, calorimeter, and part of the data acquisition system for the experiment. Princeton built the drift chambers and other parts of the data acquisition system. Fermilab provided the muon beam and maintained the beamline instrumentation. We designed, assembled, and tested everything during 1975 - 1977, installed the experiment at Fermilab in 1977, took data from summer 1977 through May 1978, then analyzed everything for several years after that.

Creation of the track reconstruction algorithms and detector Monte Carlo simulation were the most challenging and time-consuming parts of the analysis. After we had that in hand, we split the data off into separate physics studies based on the number of muons in the final state. Peter did topic (1), I did topic (2), Tom did topic (3), and Wesley did topic (4). The collaboration's tradition was for each student to spend time reworking their PhD thesis into a long journal article, to be published in Physical Review D. So that's what we did.

I had my analysis finished by the beginning of the summer of 1980, and published the results in a pair of short papers in Physical Review Letters. I spent the rest of the summer writing a much longer Physical Review D article that contains the bulk of my thesis. The papers are available online, and I refer the interested reader to them.

At the end of the summer I spent a few days backpacking in Yosemite with one of the other students, then began working on a different experiment at the University of Chicago while waiting for my committee to go over my thesis. My thesis defense was in November, 1980 after which I had finished all the requirements for a PhD. The Princeton trustees had their bulk-award-of-degrees-meeting in January 1981, thus the date on my diploma.

We worked very hard, especially when we were bringing the experiment online, since an hour of downtime meant an hour's less data. It took five years, it was exhausting, and I learned an incredible amount of physics from the experience. We were supported by our advisors' research grants, and never paid a cent in tuition, all the while receiving a small, but liveable stipend that covered food, rent, and automobile expenses. My collaborators from then remain some of my closest friends. We measure time by seeing each others' children grow, take the occasional backpacking trip, meet up in Provence for a few days on the Mediterranean.

The Fermilab E203 graduate students are all still in physics: three of us are professors at fine universities that feature vigorous research programs and significant commitment to undergraduate education; the fourth is a senior scientist at a national laboratory with large responsibilities on international projects.

I can't imagine the DLT DuckMen think they're really fooling anyone.
g-gollin

Re: "DLT" discussion forum

Postby uncle janko » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 am

Thanks, George. As a science dolt, I didn't understand much of what you wrote apart from your description of high-end research process as such, which sounds exhilarating--especially with Fermilab letting you guys play with its (expensive) toys.

Anybody--and here I can include myself--who does doc-level research finds a deep and joyful friendship with at least a few fellow-labourers. This is one of the things that make real scholars humane, and keep us human, too. When that camaraderie extends, as you describe, to the nurturing and launching of the next generation--if one believes in God, it's a blessing, and whether one does or not, that nurturing is a boon to the race.

(George's post, too, is distance education.)
uncle janko

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:05 am

My thanks to George and Uncle for a lesson on the spirit of the process.
Jack

Postby Bill Huffman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 pm

In my mind, pushing back the frontiers of academic knowledge is a critical piece of a Ph.D. awarded. It is also one of the "random" things that can prevent a very intelligent, hard working doctoral student from achieving their goal if their work doesn't pan out as planned and doesn't generate a significant contribution to our knowledge. It is flabbergasting to me that some duckman can write a paper that is never published, never even placed in the non-existant library, and never seen by any competent expert in the field can think that they've somehow earned a Ph.D.. FLABBERGASTING!
Bill Huffman

Postby uncle janko » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm

You can't fight logic like this from Yoodlenudniki:

"So a fake Syrian of suspicious circumstance received a fake degree from a fake university with the intention of making a fake claim to immigrate to the US.

Real terrorists aren't so stupid. They enroll in real schools and take real flight training to allow them to crash into real buildings.

Sounds like a crock of crap to me."
uncle janko

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:46 pm

The strange ones at that board have how many doctoral degrees among them? Since Dr. Evans stopped posting, that number would be "zero." Consider the source.
Rich Douglas

Postby Diploma Mill Hunter » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 pm

:lol: If you have enough money, you can buy anything.

All the best,

Ben Archer
Diploma Mill Hunter

Postby g-gollin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 am

Comments to the Chicagoi Tribune story: http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/T631MR8UQK4K6JOI5/p3

Ben Johnson
Edmonton, Canada

Before anyone gets injured with all the back patting going on, remember that St. Regis university issued maybe less than 1% of fake degrees during the time they operated. By itself, it is almost irrelevant in the field of fake degrees. It issued maybe 10,000 degrees while the biggest has issued in excess of 100,000. If anyone wants a degree a laser printer and an imagination is all that is needed. Someone with an employee using a degree should verify, end of story.

So "Ben Johnson" is Dennis Ruhl, yes?
g-gollin

De Mel ancholy blues at DLT

Postby uncle janko » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Quoth the duckmen re Ahehaah! :

"Have you noticed that George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and John Bear can only respond to people with their passive agressive nonsense. Lets see, you speak with broken English, you misspelled this word and that word and your sentance structure is all wrong. That is consistantly the extent of their retorts when responding to blog entries. They completely ignore the context of that which they are being called on and attempt to answer as though they are some pissed off politician who cannot think of a better come back."

What can one say?

:mrgreen:
uncle janko

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:24 pm

The finest education a credit card can buy.
Rich Douglas

Postby Jack » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:07 am

You know it's been a bit slow on DLT this week. There's only been a small handfull of postings. It's understandable though because it's high summer and probably both of them are on vacation.
Jack

Honour among thieves?

Postby uncle janko » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoth the tuchus:

"the scumbag lawyer in the back of my head"

Now who could that be? It's not a nice thing to say.
uncle janko

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs