scholarship for female online learners

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

scholarship for female online learners

Postby xgoddessx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:43 pm

A recent study indicates that half of all adults in the U.S. between the ages of 25 and 60 want to further their education. One of the largest obstacles for working adults returning to college is affordability. This problem is compounded by the fact that almost all financial aid, such as loans, has to be repaid.

In an effort to assist part-time students continuing their education, eLearners.com has created the "Where Learning Begins" Scholarship Award in the amount of $1,500 for the pursuit of an online undergraduate or graduate degree.

The eLearners.com "Where Learning Begins" Scholarship is for women, age 21 and older, who are interested in or are currently enrolled part-time in an accredited online degree program. For more information, please visit: http://www.elearners.com/ww/.
xgoddessx

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm

I was going to ask how these obstacles apply to women but not men, but then I saw that the scholarship is in partnership with Women's World magazine. :)

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm

My thoughts exactly. All this emphasis on women and girls in secondary and higher education is NOT good for the country. Our boys/males are being marginalized, and are in fact punished for their very "maleness".

God help us we ever have another shooting war anywhere near our borders.

On the other hand, I'm constantly reminded by my friends in "protected categories" that the biggest affirmative action program in history, where dispensations are handed out based on who you are, what you look like, and who you know, has been and continues to be..... white males.

So I try to be even-handed, but it always bothers me to see these gender or race specific scholarships.
Carl_Reginstein

Speaking of non-merit based programs...

Postby Brandon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I often wondered how racism and sexism can be eliminated with more racism and sexism. It might surprise some but one actually can’t fight fire with fire. If one wants an affirmative action program, why not establish quotas for poor kids, regardless of race or sex? Why not make all scholarships merit based or need based? And while we’re at it, let’s eliminate legacy preferences and athletic preferences. People shouldn’t be able to ride mommy and daddy’s academic accomplishments into Harvard or the local state university. Don’t even get me started about admitting athletes with 85 IQs just so the school can have a better season. Give me merit or give me death!
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Re: Speaking of non-merit based programs...

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Brandon wrote:I often wondered how racism and sexism can be eliminated with more racism and sexism. It might surprise some but one actually can’t fight fire with fire. If one wants an affirmative action program, why not establish quotas for poor kids, regardless of race or sex? Why not make all scholarships merit based or need based? And while we’re at it, let’s eliminate legacy preferences and athletic preferences. People shouldn’t be able to ride mommy and daddy’s academic accomplishments into Harvard or the local state university. Don’t even get me started about admitting athletes with 85 IQs just so the school can have a better season. Give me merit or give me death!

It is really hard for me to even have to cough this up.... because I more or less detest college athletics.... but it DOES bring in huge $$$ for institutions. So, those "85 IQ athletes" have "merit" too, just not academic merit.

Winning seasons for major institutional football teams, for example, are worth tons and tons of dollars and good publicity on the academic side of the house too - because it helps the school attract top students willing to pay elevated tuition.
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Brandon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:03 pm

True but it doesn't make it right.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:My thoughts exactly. All this emphasis on women and girls in secondary and higher education is NOT good for the country. Our boys/males are being marginalized, and are in fact punished for their very "maleness".

When I was a kid back in the 60's (shut up! the 1960s), most university students were male. That was particularly true in the sciences and engineering, which were very hot. The space program was rockin'. Just look at the movie '2001' to see the expectations were for what is now six years ago.

Today probably 2/3'ds of university students are female and the percentage of males continues to decline every year. You see the impact in of that in science and engineering enrollments which, if they aren't falling, are being kept pumped up with foreign students. I suspect that it's not unrelated to our country's deindustrialization and the ascendancy of business managers with their "people skills" vis-a-vis actually manufacturing things that demand technical skills.

I fear for the future of our country.
Hungry Ghost

Return to Money Matters