Pacific Western Unviersity is now California Miramar Uni

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Pacific Western Unviersity is now California Miramar Uni

Postby Bill Huffman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:52 pm

Remember the split personality school that had sold business degrees from California and anything else you might want from Hawaii? It happens to be one of the places that lost lawsuits (two?) brought by the state of Hawaii. Remember the place that KTLA visited with a hidden camera and was told by the dean how to get a degree without learning anything or even knowing anything? Remember the place that was apparently sold to a chiropractor from Arizona (or something) who then claimed PWU was a well established school with a long respected history and allegedly started threatening lawsuits against anyone claiming that PWU was in anyway associated with PWU Hawaii? Well, they have changed their name to California Miramar University and are still leveraging their ancient BPPVE approval.

https://app.dca.ca.gov/bppve/school-sea ... de=1927881
Bill Huffman

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:35 pm

If no programs are listed below, please contact the school for a current catalog of BPPVE-approved and BPPVE-registered programs.

What is the difference?

Are registered simply by exemption such as religious exemption and approved by the BPPVE approval process?
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:34 pm

This school is currently listed as a DETC applicant.

http://www.detc.org/theaccrediting.html

I like the new name. 'California Miramar University' just looks good and it has a San Diego feel, as in Miramar Naval Air Station. It's sure as hell a better name than 'Alliant International University'.

And I approve of the principle of redemption. If one of the low end CA approved schools finds a new owner and tries to upgrade itself, then that's a good thing. That's what we repeat over and over that these schools should be doing.

If it's ultimately accredited by DETC (not a sure thing by any means), then whether or not we believe in the redemption is probably a function of how much trust we place in DETC. With me, I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'd probably retain some significant reservations.

California Miramar would be a lot like Cal Coast, a school with an iffy history that's tried to do the right thing and gradually improved. That's the right direction to be moving, I guess.

But I don't anticipate it ever impressing me, even assuming that it's accredited by DETC at some future date. I can't imagine myself ever enrolling in it.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Gus Sainz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:41 pm

"Concerns about the quality of Pacific Western's degrees is not new to its president, Ronald Detrick. He admitted the university's chequered history was a stumbling block in its efforts to win federal accreditation.

He said Pacific Western's reputation was so bad that he recommended to the new owner, Florida-based chiropractor Steven Warfield, that it be closed and a new university started.

'We have a whole new program - it's a completely different university now to what it was then,' Dr Detrick said from San Diego. 'We're trying desperately to overcome our past. It's a problem I deal with every day because we do have a lot of past history to overcome. But we've made a lot of progress on that. It's definitely not a 'diploma mill' now, as it was back then.'"

"Dr Warfield said: 'The past is the past - we're moving ahead.'"

Einfeld's university improves by degrees
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby uncle janko » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Fine. New owner, new name. Give 'em a chance to clean things up.

Lest we forget, the old PW was the mill that told me, when I knew next to nothing about DL, that I could
--have an economics PhD-holder as a diss director for a classics diss
--get the degree in 3-4 months
--write an 80 page diss and get the degree
--lied about both Califirnia approval and the meaning of accreditation.

Even as a greenhorn I knew that wasn't just substandard, but rank nonsense.

Miramar sounds like dinnerware from Pottery Barn, but a total makeover is a must in this instance.
CCU evolved (did I say "evolved"? absit omen!) from a mill to substandard to worthwhile unaccredited to thoroughly OK unaccredited to DETC-accredited. Good for them.
PWU was a work-required type goatbag from beginning to end. At least Detrick and Warfield admit that publicly. That's a start.

It remains to be seen what this semi-new outfit will be. But give them a chance.

For a little while, anyway.
:|
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby Bill Huffman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:22 pm

CMU is on Miramar Road across the street from the Miramar Marine Corp Air Station. I've been meaning to give them a visit for many months now but have just not seemed to have the chance.

IMHO, PWU was a diploma mill that should have been closed down by the state years ago. In my opinion, anyone trying to turn a diploma mill into a real school is first masochistic but secondly has an additional burden of proof above and beyond a new start up. When that person is a chiropractor, it doesn't reduce those suspicions. Do I wish him well? Sorry, I can't without being better convinced of his motives. Do I hope that he really is trying to turn a diploma mill into a real school? Of course, I'd rather see diploma mills put out of business but turning them into real schools is an acceptable although inferior choice. The reason I say inferior is because of the messy problem with old diploma mill degrees being made to appear more legitimate.

I did, however, consider it dishonest on the part of PWU to boldly claim a history going back to 1977 as part of their self promotion but to then apparently threaten lawsuits against anyone bringing up that past history, especially the PWU Hawaii side of things. I have looked at their website this morning though and note that they are apparently no longer promoting establishment in 1977 as a selling point. I take that as a sign of honesty. I hope that the effort is legit.
Bill Huffman

Postby Bill Huffman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:47 pm

BTW, here's a little more information that Gus provided last year on the name change. http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/ ... php?t=2009
Bill Huffman

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:01 pm

If it isn't the name, and it isn't the PWU programs (yuck!), what, exactly, transfers to the new name? The staff? I doubt it. Physical assets? Again, doubtful. Cash? Maybe, but that would be a wash in the purchase price.

I guess it was the PWU-CA's state approval for the few business programs it offered. Perhaps that was a tangible asset worth purchasing. Otherwise, it would seem just as simple--and much less troublesome--to start a school from scratch.

Perhaps others could add insight to this?
Rich Douglas

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Perhaps curricular materials?
Rich Douglas

Postby uncle janko » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:24 am

I wondered about that, too.
Maybe the old coot with the Ph.D. in economics.
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby Layman » Thu May 03, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi. I'm from the UK and I hope you won't mind my joining in here.

I've been following the fortunes -or whatever - of PWU (CMU), as I expressed interest in it some years ago. It occurs to me that there are a number of issues. First, the one in LA is often confused with the one in Hawaii, which went out of business after a lawsuit, as you will know. The one in LA is not really a 'diploma mill', or so it seemed to me, as the requirement of the elementary BA degree in which I was interested required almost the same things as would have been required if I had completed the final year of an education course over here. (I completed the certifiable three-year course.) My ambition was to achieve graduate status (and remember, 'graduation' has a slightly different meaning here in the UK.) If I had gone on to do the final year I would have had to do a further course of essays and a major dissertation on a chosen subject connected with the educational world. The PWU authorities told me that I would be required to do two things in order to enrol. First, I would have to produce fully accredited original proof of my previous qualifications, which, in my case were a Certificate in Education from Oxford University Education department and also an Associate's diploma from the Royal College of Teachers. If I could do that, which of course I could, then I would be given dispensation through what is now called APL (Accredited Prior Learning.) Incidentally, the Anglican Church over here now accepts APL in a very similar way for a number of its ministry courses. Once my accredited APL had been accepted, then I would be required to complete a number of essays and an extended dissertation. All that said, perhaps the actual course, had I enrolled on it, might not have offered the rigour of an education course from an accredited university, but I don't know about that. Personally, I wish the organisation well, because, as others on this site have said, at least it's trying. Which is more than can be said for many other 'universities'. As it is, I became a Fellow of the College of Teachers (or 'Preceptors' as it was then) which offered all the status I needed for my educational career. But do you see what I mean? PWU does, I think, deserve a little more credit than it has had in the past.
Layman

Postby RobbCD » Thu May 03, 2007 4:19 pm

senteacher wrote:Hi. I'm from the UK and I hope you won't mind my joining in here.

I've been following the fortunes -or whatever - of PWU (CMU), as I expressed interest in it some years ago. It occurs to me that there are a number of issues. First, the one in LA is often confused with the one in Hawaii, which went out of business after a lawsuit, as you will know. The one in LA is not really a 'diploma mill', or so it seemed to me, as the requirement of the elementary BA degree in which I was interested required almost the same things as would have been required if I had completed the final year of an education course over here. (I completed the certifiable three-year course.) My ambition was to achieve graduate status (and remember, 'graduation' has a slightly different meaning here in the UK.) If I had gone on to do the final year I would have had to do a further course of essays and a major dissertation on a chosen subject connected with the educational world. The PWU authorities told me that I would be required to do two things in order to enrol. First, I would have to produce fully accredited original proof of my previous qualifications, which, in my case were a Certificate in Education from Oxford University Education department and also an Associate's diploma from the Royal College of Teachers. If I could do that, which of course I could, then I would be given dispensation through what is now called APL (Accredited Prior Learning.) Incidentally, the Anglican Church over here now accepts APL in a very similar way for a number of its ministry courses. Once my accredited APL had been accepted, then I would be required to complete a number of essays and an extended dissertation. All that said, perhaps the actual course, had I enrolled on it, might not have offered the rigour of an education course from an accredited university, but I don't know about that. Personally, I wish the organisation well, because, as others on this site have said, at least it's trying. Which is more than can be said for many other 'universities'. As it is, I became a Fellow of the College of Teachers (or 'Preceptors' as it was then) which offered all the status I needed for my educational career. But do you see what I mean? PWU does, I think, deserve a little more credit than it has had in the past.

That's an awful lot of typing to say something as simple as "I considered attending PWU, but didn't".

It makes me wonder what your real point was?
RobbCD

Postby Layman » Thu May 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Yes, you're right. I suppose I was simply trying to say that there is a whole load of trash out there, but perhaps PWU had at least something to offer. But then, I'm a Brit, and don't really understand the US education system anyway.
Layman

Postby John Bear » Thu May 03, 2007 5:25 pm

Like many such schools, PWU generally did what its students wanted. The basic doctorate required only a six-page "warrant" (annotated resume) but if a student wanted to do research or write a dissertation, that was acceptable. It was the California PWU from which an undercover reporter for the television program American Journal "earned" his Master's degree in nine days.
John Bear

Postby Layman » Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 am

Interesting, John. Thanks for that. I see from Wikipedia that you know what you're talking about when it comes to places like these ... ?
Layman

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs