The (Financial) Value Of A Degree

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

The (Financial) Value Of A Degree

Postby Jack » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Jack

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Here's another source (from 2002) in US dollars.

http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-3/value.htm

I think the value in US dollars is actually higher, although I don't know exactly (don't have my fx calculator handy) how this translates between pounds and dollars.
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Still another source...

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_how_much_co ... _worth.htm

Although the pic of the guy who owns the web page is a little.... disturbing? :twisted:
Carl_Reginstein

Postby John Bear » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:09 am

The interesting argument made by Caroline Bird in her book The Case Against College is that if, at any time in the last 75 years, you borrowed the money needed for a Bachelor's degree and invested it in the stock market, at retirement age, would have far, far more than the million-dollar (or whatever) difference earned in a lifetime by degree holders, compared with non-degree holders . . . and have had four or five more years of time as well.

(The long-out-of-print book is sold on Amazon for 79 cents.)
John Bear

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm

John Bear wrote:The interesting argument made by Caroline Bird in her book The Case Against College is that if, at any time in the last 75 years, you borrowed the money needed for a Bachelor's degree and invested it in the stock market, at retirement age, would have far, far more than the million-dollar (or whatever) difference earned in a lifetime by degree holders, compared with non-degree holders . . . and have had four or five more years of time as well.

(The long-out-of-print book is sold on Amazon for 79 cents.)

But, but, but.....

Then you'd miss out on all the "fun" of lengthy and boring lectures, being held completely subject to a group of pompous and sniffing intellectuals, and a lifetime of struggle to repay those college loans upon graduation!

In all seriousness though, I decided to go to college because I realized I wasn't very good at tossing 100 lb. potato sacks onto the back of a truck all day long for minimum wage. It was actually easier than hard physical work, which was what awaited me otherwise.
Carl_Reginstein

Return to Money Matters