Nursing School scholarships

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

Nursing School scholarships

Postby HBeth » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:06 am

Hi, I am helping a family member look for scholarships for nursing school. She is a high school senior 3.5 GPA- high SATs...She does one scholarship a night. I have access to the high school guidance departments' list where I work which is slightly different then her high schools selection. I am buying her the CLEP guide. Suggestions appreciated. Her college is located in Pennsylvania. Thanks. H.BEth
HBeth

Postby John Bear » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:59 am

When our middle daughter was applying to nursing schools 2 years ago, she did lots of online and library research, and tried Cassidy's scholship book, but about 95% of her helpful info, and her eventual success in finding money, came from working with the scholarship office at her intended school. They knew about a bunch of things that did not appear in public sources. (She becomes an RN in about 3 months.) (Oregon Health Sciences University)

As I've written elsewhere, when our oldest daughter wanted to do her Master's, she also had her best advice and help from the school itself (NYU), and ended up with money from something like eleven different sources, which paid all of her $42,000 in costs (including travel, books, room & board, etc.). That led to the book we did together, Bears' Guide to Finding Money for College -- now, sadly, out of print and out of date, with no revision prospects in sight.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:08 am

As a former commandant of cadets of an Air Force ROTC unit, I'd encourage you to look into AFROTC scholarships. Nursing is always a category funded by AFROTC scholarships. And even if she wasn't successful initially, she could earn a scholarship while in school as a cadet.

I have to think the Army and Navy are similarly suited, and might even have more opportunities. And while I'm a retired Air Force officer, officership is offership, regardless of which branch it is exercised.

Earning a scholarship will not only result in paying for tuition and books (plus a small monthly stipend). It will also lead to advanced nursing training, leadership opportunities, even career opportunities.

With our military mired in an unnecessary war, I hesitate to recommend this route. But the current conditions can't last forever--or even much beyoned January 20th, 2009.

Good luck with your search!
Rich Douglas

Scholarship

Postby kevin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm

My father, a Korean war vet, belongs to several organizations, including the one below. As a past National Commander he made me aware of several programs this organization has, including scholarships. A request to the contacts may help in your search. I've posted the PA link but it is a national organization. Please let us know if it helps.

http://www.icdc.com/~budn/index1.htm

http://www.icdc.com/~budn/page2.htm
kevin

Thanks for the ideas

Postby HBeth » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Hi, I wanted to thank you for leading me in a different direction. I checked the schools discounted tuition options. We have a clergy member in our family and this may reduce my neices tuition. Again-thanks. HBeth
HBeth

The 40 and the 8

Postby HBeth » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanks for the scholarship leads. She and I have been unable to obtain a scholarship application from the above. The county rep is incognito and I have not been able to get anything from the main office. If you have a link please contact me at yardie122@msn.com Thank you.
HBeth

Postby kevin » Mon May 01, 2006 1:41 pm

Hille,

try the following:

Application packets may be obtained from:
The American Legion
Americanism and Children & Youth Division
Attn: Eight & Forty Nursing Scholarship
PO Box 1055
Indianapolis, IN 46206
317/630-1323

Regards,

Kevin
kevin

Postby John Bear » Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 pm

When our daughter* looked at the "8 & 40" two years ago, it was only for existing RNs who needed additional training in respiratory diseases.

_______
* Susannah, who went straight from 9th grade
into college, gets her RN from Oregon Health
Sciences University next month.
--Proud Parent
John Bear

Return to Money Matters