Free Tuition at Harvard

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

Free Tuition at Harvard

Postby Jack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:47 pm

Harvard to offer free tuition to students whose houshold income totals less that $60K.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 230860.htm
Jack

Postby Jack » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Harvard to end early admission program as it is unfair to poor minority students:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213419,00.html
Jack

Postby Tedmeister » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:16 am

Jack wrote:Harvard to end early admission program as it is unfair to poor minority students:
Explain how the early admission process disadvantages poor students.
Theodorus Lamaris van Huygen
BA, History/Political Science, Western State College, 1984
MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University, 1992
MBA, Marketing, City University, 1993
Tedmeister

Postby Jack » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 am

Tedmeister wrote:
Jack wrote:Harvard to end early admission program as it is unfair to poor minority students:

Well Ted, you may disagree with the logic but I believe that your question is answered in the body of the linked story.
Jack

Postby Tedmeister » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Jack wrote:
Tedmeister wrote:

Well Ted, you may disagree with the logic but I believe that your question is answered in the body of the linked story.
The way I read it, it sounded like it was saying that the greater percentage accepted in early acceptance was because the early admissions were the creme de la creme of Harvard applicants, not because it is easier to get in early admissions.
Tedmeister

Postby mcdirector » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:44 am

Richer students don't have to worry about tuition payments, so they can apply earlier. Poorer students wait to apply when they find out about available monies. Not having been in the position to have to wait on money to make application, I will admit that I don't quite understand all the intricacies of the application process.
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. " Albert Einstein
mcdirector

Postby Tedmeister » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:58 am

mcdirector wrote:Richer students don't have to worry about tuition payments, so they can apply earlier. Poorer students wait to apply when they find out about available monies. Not having been in the position to have to wait on money to make application, I will admit that I don't quite understand all the intricacies of the application process.
So we're saying that early acceptance is a committment to go if accepted, but FAFSA decisions don't come until long after the Harvards and Yales of the world have made their early admissions decisions, thus leaving the poor student in the lurch if s/he has no financial aid while the rich student without financial aid just gets a check from dad-unit?
Tedmeister

Postby mcdirector » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:06 am

That was my understanding when I heard it on the news.
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. " Albert Einstein
mcdirector

Re: Free Tuition at Harvard

Postby Tim D » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 am

Jack wrote:Harvard to offer free tuition to students whose houshold income totals less that $60K.

That should tell the story right there. If you are disadvantaged and can't afford Harvard then they will help with the tuition. Harvard has long said that cost should not be a factor if accepted and looking at their endowment I believe them.

The problem is of course if you are truley disadvantaged you are not going to Harvard because you didn't get the proper education to begin with.
The Village Idiot
Tim D

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Tim D wrote:
Jack wrote:Harvard to offer free tuition to students whose houshold income totals less that $60K.

That should tell the story right there. If you are disadvantaged and can't afford Harvard then they will help with the tuition. Harvard has long said that cost should not be a factor if accepted and looking at their endowment I believe them.

That covers tuition, but not room and board. How much is that per year at Harvard?

Tim D wrote:The problem is of course if you are truley disadvantaged you are not going to Harvard because you didn't get the proper education to begin with.

And yet there are people who come from disadvantaged backgrounds who worked extra hard to succeed. Not many per capita, though, I'll agree.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Tim D » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tim D wrote:

That covers tuition, but not room and board. How much is that per year at Harvard?

Beginning in 2006, parents in families with incomes of less than $60,000 will no longer be expected to contribute to the cost of attending Harvard for their children including room and board. In addition, Harvard will reduce the contributions expected of families with incomes between $60,000 and $80,000.
http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/financial_aid/hfai/index.html

Tim D wrote:The problem is of course if you are truley disadvantaged you are not going to Harvard because you didn't get the proper education to begin with.

And yet there are people who come from disadvantaged backgrounds who worked extra hard to succeed. Not many per capita, though, I'll agree.

-=Steve=-[/quote]

The term statistically insignificant comes to mind. The ones that do manage to overcome such backgrounds deserve the recogntion they get(or in many cases should get)!

In case anyone is curious about the costs of attending Harvard:
Cost of Attendance for 2006-2007
Tuition $30,275
Health Services Fee $1,390
Student Services Fee $2,044
Room $5,328
Board $4,618
Subtotal
$43,655
Estimated Personal Expenses $2,795
Total Budget $46,450

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.e ... index.html
The Village Idiot
Tim D

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:54 pm

Tim D wrote:Beginning in 2006, parents in families with incomes of less than $60,000 will no longer be expected to contribute to the cost of attending Harvard for their children including room and board. In addition, Harvard will reduce the contributions expected of families with incomes between $60,000 and $80,000.
http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/financial_aid/hfai/index.html

Wow, that's pretty cool, then! I'll have to let my kids know that they're going either to a state school or Harvard. ;-)

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Return to Money Matters