Christian College scholarships

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

Christian College scholarships

Postby HBeth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:53 am

Hi, Thanks for the previous help with the nursing scholarship leads. I continue to try and help my neice on her journey. She is attending a Christian school ( RA) and is looking for "any" additional sources of funds. She has sent been creative, has applied for on campus work, sent out 25 scholarship applications so far. She has used the school as a resource also. Ideas appreciated. HBeth aka Hille
HBeth

Re: Christian College scholarships

Postby Tedmeister » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:31 am

HBeth wrote:Hi, Thanks for the previous help with the nursing scholarship leads. I continue to try and help my neice on her journey. She is attending a Christian school ( RA) and is looking for "any" additional sources of funds. She has sent been creative, has applied for on campus work, sent out 25 scholarship applications so far. She has used the school as a resource also. Ideas appreciated. HBeth aka Hille
Hi, Hille! Well, let's see here! Scholarships are often predicated upon different things, such as one's major (I see she's majoring in nursing), but also one's denomination, state of residence or study, and parents' (or student's) employer or professional association or union. If you could send along that info, maybe we could help out. You might also look up scholarship books at www.amazon.com .
Theodorus Lamaris van Huygen
BA, History/Political Science, Western State College, 1984
MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University, 1992
MBA, Marketing, City University, 1993
Tedmeister

Messiah College

Postby HBeth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 am

Good Morning, She is headed to Messiah College. She has filled out the Masonic Scholarship and is also filling out the tuition reduction for a family member that is in the ministry. Our aunt has been a lifetime missionary. Ideas? Thanks. Hille
HBeth

Postby mcdirector » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm

Messiah's Brethren isn't it? If you are a member of a Brethren church, then the church might have a scholarship too. Ours does for kids going to SBC schools.
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. " Albert Einstein
mcdirector

Re: Messiah College

Postby Tedmeister » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm

HBeth wrote:Good Morning, She is headed to Messiah College. She has filled out the Masonic Scholarship and is also filling out the tuition reduction for a family member that is in the ministry. Our aunt has been a lifetime missionary. Ideas? Thanks. Hille
Good Morning, Hille! I've not yet researched this as thoroughly as I'd like, so I'll get back to you with more later. But just to whet your appetite, let's give you this for starters. Scholarships can be classified as public or private or as internal or external, among other things.

Publicly available scholarships can be applied for online through the Department of Education at www.fafsa.ed.gov .

Of private scholarships the ones internal to Messiah College www.messiah.edu can be applied for at www.messiah.edu/offices/financial_aid/s ... earch.html and you can email them at finaid@messiah.edu .

Free web-based scholarship search services include: fastweb (Financial Aid Search Through the Web) www.finaid.org ; Scholarship Resource Network Express (SRN Express) www.srnexpress.com ; Sallie Mae's Online Search Service CASHE7 (College Aid Sources for Higher Education) www.wiredscholar.com ; and Scholarships.com www.scholarships.com . Other sites include: www.apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_ss/s ... Search.jsp ; www.collegenet.com ; www.collegescholarships.com ; and http://www.IEFA.org .

I'll step out of here for awhile and go check that recurring email I keep getting about applying for a $10,000 scholarship. Sounds like your niece will need it worse than I do.

Other than that, what are your niece's parents' employers, unions, or professional associations? Do you know your family history (or does someone else know the in-laws' family history) well enough to know whether the niece has any ancestors who fought in the Civil War? Believe you me, when the day comes to apply for scholarships, my niece will know about John S. Heiks. Or the Revolutionary War? Again, my niece will learn about her disabled Revolutionary War/War of 1812 ancestor Francis Linley and about one certain Mr. Steele, a German emigrant who deserted the Hessian forces in order to fight for the Americans.

A search of scholarship books at Amazon yielded these results: www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref-br_ss_hs/1 ... ip%20books .
Tedmeister

Postby Tedmeister » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:22 pm

And here's the web address on that $10,000 scholarship: www.freecollegescholarships.net/index.php?c=8305299 . Next drawing is 2/28!
Tedmeister

Thanks and updated info.

Postby HBeth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi, She is checking with my sister in laws father for any potential connections. We come from a farm family. Yes, we do have relatives that fought in the civil war. What book do you suggest for the oddball scholarships? Thanks. Hille
HBeth

Re: Thanks and updated info.

Postby Tedmeister » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:32 am

HBeth wrote:Hi, She is checking with my sister in laws father for any potential connections. We come from a farm family. Yes, we do have relatives that fought in the civil war. What book do you suggest for the oddball scholarships? Thanks. Hille
Not sure what the "oddball" scholarships are. Unfortunately, when I was in my twenties, I was a spoiled little son of a nuclear engineer, so I didn't see the need of scholarships back then. (Of course, now that Dad's retired ... :oops: ) The book where I found the Daughters of the American Revolution and Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War (and United Daughters of the Confederacy) scholarships is called _The Financial Aid Book_ (Seattle: Perpetual Press/Student Financial Services), but I don't know that it is any better or worse than myriad other scholarship books. For those who may need a more non-traditional approach to financial aid, there is John Bear's _Finding Money for College_, unfortunately now out of print. Over at degreeinfo, Dr. Bear once sent up a trial balloon on the idea of a somewhat revised book on how to get into and pay for your non-traditional degree.
Tedmeister

Re: Thanks and updated info.

Postby Tedmeister » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:44 am

Tedmeister wrote: For those who may need a more non-traditional approach to financial aid, there is John Bear's _Finding Money for College_, unfortunately now out of print. Over at degreeinfo, Dr. Bear once sent up a trial balloon on the idea of a somewhat revised book on how to get into and pay for your non-traditional degree.
A good source for out of print books, by the way: www.bookfinder.com
Tedmeister

Postby Tedmeister » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:08 am

mcdirector wrote:Messiah's Brethren isn't it? If you are a member of a Brethren church, then the church might have a scholarship too. Ours does for kids going to SBC schools.
Good eye, McDirector. According to their website, under "Messiah at a Glance," they were founded in 1909 by the Brethren in Christ Church.
Tedmeister

Messiah College

Postby HBeth » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 am

Hi, Messiah has discontinued the discount for students with family in the clergy. My search continues. Hille
HBeth

Return to Money Matters