Any Financial Aid for Grad Students?

Information on Loans, Scholarships, Grants, etc.

Any Financial Aid for Grad Students?

Postby dkm » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:51 pm

I am interested in parlaying my Ed.S. (which I will receive in May) into an Ed.D. or Ph.D. by way of transfer of credits. Northcentral University, the much-discussed Arizona institution, will accept all 30 of my Ed.S. hours, leaving me with only 51 hours online at NCU to complete for an Ed.D. or Ph.D.

Here's the rub: That makes the final price tag at NCU around $26,000 for the remaining hours and the doctorate, and I don't have the funds. I realize that I am not alone, and I am thinking that quite possibly others on this very board have received some type of financial assistance (preferably grants or scholarships rather than loans). Would anyone care to share any news of financial aid that might be available?

dkm
dkm

Re: Any Financial Aid for Grad Students?

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:34 am

dkm wrote:I am interested in parlaying my Ed.S. (which I will receive in May) into an Ed.D. or Ph.D. by way of transfer of credits. Northcentral University, the much-discussed Arizona institution, will accept all 30 of my Ed.S. hours, leaving me with only 51 hours online at NCU to complete for an Ed.D. or Ph.D. Here's the rub: That makes the final price tag at NCU around $26,000 for the remaining hours and the doctorate, and I don't have the funds. I realize that I am not alone, and I am thinking that quite possibly others on this very board have received some type of financial assistance (preferably grants or scholarships rather than loans). Would anyone care to share any news of financial aid that might be available?

Since you asked about Athabasca in another thread, and thus seem willing to look internationally, have you considered the University of South Africa or one of the other South African universities? They're the best deal on the planet for globally recognized doctoral programs.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Thanks, Steve

Postby dkm » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:38 am

Funny you should mention UNISA.

Actually, Friday I contacted Dr. Esselen, and he immediately called me and sent information via email about UNISA's programs. He sounded eager to help me, and I am eager to enroll--I don't think I can make the January 15 deadline, however, for this term. He directed me to the exact steps I need to take in order to become a UNISA student. Thanks for the good advice.

dkm
dkm

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm glad I could help. Who knows, we may end up being classmates. At this point I'm leaning more and more toward South African options for my own doctoral work.

-=Steve=-
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

SA Universities

Postby dkm » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:15 pm

For those of us on a tight budget (aren't we all on this board?), South African universities seem like an excellent option. . .I'm with you.

dkm
dkm

Re: SA Universities

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:33 pm

dkm wrote:For those of us on a tight budget (aren't we all on this board?), South African universities seem like an excellent option. . .I'm with you.

For me it's not just about the budget, although that's not exactly a drawback. I'm interested in the developing world as a research area, so it seems appropriate to consider institutions that would have first hand experience with what interests me. Plus I don't expect to stay in the U.S. forever, or be on the tenure track, so I have less to worry about than others might when it comes to Americans thinking the world stops at the border.

-=Steve=-
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby dkm » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:04 pm

I agree, Steve, and I might add:

There is no university in the United States of which I am aware with the impressive list of possible majors and degree options that UNISA has.

dkm
dkm

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:38 pm

dkm wrote:There is no university in the United States of which I am aware with the impressive list of possible majors and degree options that UNISA has.

That's a really good point. It's amazing how often someone around here asks what universities have programs in some discipline and the response concludes, "...and Unisa, of course."

-=Steve=-
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Re: Thanks, Steve

Postby Abner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 pm

dkm wrote:Funny you should mention UNISA.

Actually, Friday I contacted Dr. Esselen, and he immediately called me and sent information via email about UNISA's programs. He sounded eager to help me, and I am eager to enroll--I don't think I can make the January 15 deadline, however, for this term. He directed me to the exact steps I need to take in order to become a UNISA student. Thanks for the good advice.

dkm

Abner:

Good to hear about your positive experience obtaining information, that's a good start and a good sign. Good luck. I am keeping my eye on anything pertaining to UNISA for future consideration.

I wish you the best on that! Please keep us posted.

Abner 8)
Abner

Return to Money Matters