The Soloist

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

The Soloist

Postby Abner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:25 am

Although I have not read this book, this story brings tears to my eyes. I have a cousin (genius) who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. We were childhood companions. I saw the author being interviewed. For those who quickly dismiss the homeless as being lazy, and even enjoying their state of affairs, I say shame on you! I am sure there are pleny of lushes out there, but please do not judge a book by it's cover. Especially if you contend being Christian. Not everyone can "lift themselves up from their bootstraps". The valiant words of a healthy politician, who later died form Alzhiemers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0821642/

Abner
Abner

Re: The Soloist

Postby Brandon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:26 am

Abner wrote:For those who quickly dismiss the homeless as being lazy, and even enjoying their state of affairs, I say shame on you! I am sure there are pleny of lushes out there, but please do not judge a book by it's cover. Especially if you contend being Christian. Not everyone can "lift themselves up from their bootstraps". The valiant words of a healthy politician, who later died form Alzhiemers.

Matthew 25:41-46:

Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Re: The Soloist

Postby Abner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 am

Brandon wrote:
Abner wrote:For those who quickly dismiss the homeless as being lazy, and even enjoying their state of affairs, I say shame on you! I am sure there are pleny of lushes out there, but please do not judge a book by it's cover. Especially if you contend being Christian. Not everyone can "lift themselves up from their bootstraps". The valiant words of a healthy politician, who later died form Alzhiemers.

Matthew 25:41-46:

Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

Thanks Brandon. This gives me some comfort. My cousin has been in an institution for some years now. Medication and other treatments have been in vain. I often wonder, why him, and not me?

But I digress, here is a better description of the book:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/Book ... 62,00.html

Abner
Abner

Return to Books & Reviews