World War Z

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

World War Z

Postby Brandon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:44 am

I just finished the novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I really enjoyed it. It is three hundred and forty-two pages of “interviews” with survivors of the world war against the living dead. In fact, Mr. Brooks’ novel is written to read like a real account of a real event. He divides his novel up into eight chapters that tell the story of the war through the interviews with soldiers, doctors, businessmen, government leaders, religious leaders, and civilian survivors of the war. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Re: World War Z

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Brandon wrote:I just finished the novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I really enjoyed it. It is three hundred and forty-two pages of “interviews” with survivors of the world war against the living dead. In fact, Mr. Brooks’ novel is written to read like a real account of a real event. He divides his novel up into eight chapters that tell the story of the war through the interviews with soldiers, doctors, businessmen, government leaders, religious leaders, and civilian survivors of the war. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.

This is my contribution to this thread.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0
Carl_Reginstein

Postby samiam » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:29 am

Carl_Reginstein wrote:
Brandon wrote:I just finished the novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I really enjoyed it. It is three hundred and forty-two pages of “interviews” with survivors of the world war against the living dead. In fact, Mr. Brooks’ novel is written to read like a real account of a real event. He divides his novel up into eight chapters that tell the story of the war through the interviews with soldiers, doctors, businessmen, government leaders, religious leaders, and civilian survivors of the war. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.

now who woulda though that you are a Rob Zombie fan....
samiam

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:19 pm

samiam wrote:
Carl_Reginstein wrote:

now who woulda though that you are a Rob Zombie fan....

OK.... one more contribution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4
Carl_Reginstein

Maybe....

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Maybe.... one more even....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4

It ain't the Beatles..... that's for sure! :twisted:
Carl_Reginstein

Zombie Studies!

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:34 am

This item, from a tiny Canadian newspaper devoted to pro-life and social conservative causes!, could have been written specifically to needle our Brandon. :P Also: The inevitable course in Zombie Studies!

Rick McGinnis, in The Interim, wrote:With all this furious cultural activity around the zombie phenomenon, it is no surprise that academia is getting in on the action, and this fall the University of Baltimore offered a semester-long course in Zombie Studies. “The zombie functions as an allegory for all sorts of things that play out in our country,” instructor Arnold Blumberg explained, “whether it’s the threat of communism during the Cold War or our fears about bioterrorism in 2010.” You do not have to be pro-life to ponder what a popular fascination with homicidal dead people might mean beyond the tidy assumptions of academics, but it helps.

The Walking Dead glistens with gore, which you would have to expect from drama where most of the players are decaying. Zombie films shoulder a great deal of the burden of gleefully coarsening entertainment, since the zombie canon prescribes a shot to the head as the only way to stop the ravening hordes. The result is a matter-of-fact use of rifles, pistols, axes, crossbows, stout poles and baseball bats, employed remorselessly since, after all, you cannot really kill something that’s already dead.

More profoundly, zombie films speak to a simmering paranoia about hostility lingering beneath the placid surface of society, which might have become exaggerated lately with the so-called “culture wars” and our increasingly bipolar politics. Professor Blumberg name-checks the Cold War and the “Red Scare” which was presumed to have found its cultural shadow in films like 1956’s Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

In this light, there is a lot of resonance in a story about waking up discover that your neighbours, friends and family can be infected and turn on you, with the intent on transforming you into one of them – a creature with “no will of his own… walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring.” This description of zombies comes from Ghostbreakers, a 1948 comedy starring Bob Hope. The gag is Hope’s deadpan response: “You mean, like Democrats?”

Zombies gore-lore (Rick McGinnis, The Interim, December 8, 2010)
Jonathan Whatley

Re: Zombie Studies!

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Rick McGinnis, in The Interim, wrote:In this light, there is a lot of resonance in a story about waking up discover that your neighbours, friends and family can be infected and turn on you, with the intent on transforming you into one of them – a creature with “no will of his own… walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring.” This description of zombies comes from Ghostbreakers, a 1948 comedy starring Bob Hope. The gag is Hope’s deadpan response: “You mean, like Democrats?”

Hooooooope.... Chaaaaaaaaaange....

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Zombie Course

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:13 am

The CBC News Community Team wrote:While college students in the morning can sometimes resemble a shambling horde of the undead, one course at Michigan State University hopes to use that imagery to a positive educational effect.

Instructor Glen Stutzky is launching a course titled Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse: Catastrophes and Human Behaviour [pdf] at MSU's School of Social Work. The class will look at "the nature, scope and impact of catastrophic events on individuals, families, societies, civilizations and the Earth itself," according to the course description.

The online course looks at catastrophic events in human history including the Great Plague in the 14th century and the Shensi, China earthquake in 1556, which killed more than a million people.

The course will be book-ended by "catastrophic event simulations" including one in which a coronal mass ejection creates a zombie pandemic. Students are assigned to "survivor groups" that must learn how to survive in a catastrophic environment.

"I'm using the zombie thing to hopefully make the class a little more interesting," Stuszky explained in a YouTube video. [at the link below]

Bonus points for relevance: It's fully online! For credit, 2 semester hours'.

Would you take a course about the coming zombie apocalypse? (CBC News Community Team, March 7, 2012)
Jonathan Whatley

Return to Books & Reviews