episcopi vagantes (fake bishops): the classic!

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

episcopi vagantes (fake bishops): the classic!

Postby uncle janko » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:07 pm

In honour of Caliph-Archbishop Muhammad W. G. A. Schmidt, good news! Peter Anson's classic book (1964?) on bishops without churches, "Bishops at Large", has recently been reprinted by something called Apocryphile Press, and appears to be readily available. This is very weird, very funny, and (until just now) very hard to find. [I last read it in the Kitchener Public Library decades ago.] It is corvonian folie de grandeur in all its arcane splendour, complete with photographs.
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Re: episcopi vagantes (fake bishops): the classic!

Postby North » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:57 am

[quote="uncle janko"]In honour of Caliph-Archbishop Muhammad W. G. A. Schmidt, good news! Peter Anson's classic book (1964?) on bishops without churches, "Bishops at Large", has recently been reprinted by something called Apocryphile Press, and appears to be readily available. This is very weird, very funny, and (until just now) very hard to find. [I last read it in the Kitchener Public Library decades ago.] It is corvonian folie de grandeur in all its arcane splendour, complete with photographs.[/quote

An interesting side note is that Fr. Mitch Pacwa, PhD was once asked on EWTN about the issue of valid orders. His response was not get too caught up in it. From a Roman Catholic point of view you should be sticking to the Roman Catholic Church. He said it is less important to focus on these various group’s orders and more important whether they are in Communion with the Holy Father (i.e. Pope). Many of these web sites claim based on an encyclical that they are recognized by Rome. This is not really accurate because Rome made a general discussion of “Old Catholic” orders not the specific churches that claim them in this oft quoted piece.

For those to whom this means little. Most protestants do not get caught up in the Apostolic Succession issue (validity of orders). A Southern Baptist clergy friend of mine used to laugh at the concept. However some groups do (Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, PNCC, Old Catholics in Union with Utrecht and so on). From the RCC point of view Catholics should be attending and receiving sacraments in a Roman Catholic Church. But if they cannot in an emergency they can receive sacraments in an Orthodox Church, Polish National Catholic Church or Old Catholic (Utrecht). Anglican orders are more complicated and generally not seen as valid due to a ruling by Leo XIII. Vernon Staley, in my opinion, successfully argues against the validity of Leo XIII’s objections point by point and I think Leo had more in mind political and practical issues than theological. You get into some vague issues with validity in terms of these groups like some wings of the “Liberal Catholic Church” that have tried hard to maintain validity but whose doctrines bear little resemblance to Roman Catholic doctrine. The Eastern Orthodox have fewer questions of Apostolic succession because their view is more stringent than the Roman Catholic Church in terms of being less mechanistic (though that is a part). Of course they have their own arguments about Canonical versus Non and fights over New Calendar versus Old.

At any rate, thank you for the book information Uncle. It is a fascinating subject. Much of it began with attempts to bring the Old Catholic Church to the US in the late 1880’s. The emissaries Europe sent eventually ended up in schism after schisms and Bishops ranging from orthodox to theosophical in persuasion. That is why for a long time Utrecht would not talk to these various US based “Old Catholic” groups and is only now through the Episcopal Church (with whom Utrecht is in Communion) beginning to reach out to them (new initiative). As Uncle points out there ended up being too many wandering Bishops, wandering theologies and so on.
North
North

Return to Books & Reviews