Russia's War

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

Russia's War

Postby uncle janko » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:10 pm

I have been listening to Richard Overy's Russia's War, a history of the USSR's involvement in WW2. The thing is stunning, vastly informative to non-military-history readers such as myself, and very well written indeed.

Anybody who underestimates the horrors endured and the heroism displayed by Soviet soldiers and civilians before and during WW2 (as I once did) will be appalled, inspired, and instructed by this book.

A prize fact: Marshal Konev insisted on hauling his personal library around with him even in the heat of battle. He also had a library!
No witless apparatchik he!
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby John Bear » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 pm

In 1964, we visited my wife's aunt in Leningrad, and heard from her many amazing stories of the siege. We took her out to dinner at a fancy hotel. At one point, a hush fell over the huge dining room. Marshall Zhukov and his party had just come in. After a short pause, someone stood and started applauding, and at once, the entire room was standing and cheering. Quite a moment.
John Bear

Postby uncle janko » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Wow. Quite a moment, indeed! What a privilege!
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Re: Russia's War

Postby mattchand » Sun May 15, 2011 9:23 pm

samuelarnold wrote:Russia didn't have the arms or the supplies that the other countries did because they had not industrialized hardly at all at the beginning of WWI. That was their biggest disadvantage. Their numbers, however, helped to make up for that. There was also political turmoil occuring at this point in time and Russia pulled out of the war to deal with those when the Russian Revolution occured. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong for them.

Actually, I believe the discussion here was on the Soviet battle in WW2.
mattchand

Return to Books & Reviews