New book: God's Harvard

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

New book: God's Harvard

Postby John Bear » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 am

I was looking at this new book, by Hanna Rosin, at Barnes & Noble. It is about Patrick Henry College, where she "embedded" (her term) herself for 18 months as a student. I didn't spend all that much time with it, but the author seems neither positive nor negative, just sort of "Gee whiz, look at that..."

As best I could figure out in my quick look, there is nary a word about accreditation, or about that situation (as I recall) in which PHC lost its recognized accreditation, then went to TRACS -- or the mass resignation of faculty last year.

If I were in charge, people who write books like this and do not include an index would get itching powder in their socks.

John Bear, who had lunch and in interesting talk
with Dr. Farris, when I was a speaker at his
National Home School Legal Defense Fund
convention a few years ago
John Bear

Postby uncle janko » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:00 am

He is? I always thought He was UDW, or maybe Stellenbosch.
I guess I'll have to rethink my theology entirely.
uncle janko

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:00 am

I just finished this one.

Hanna Rosin was actually not embedded as a student.

With the permission of Michael Farris, I [Rosin] had unlimited access to students in their dorms, classes, at school events, and at their internships. I spent much of the spring semester of 2005 and the following academic year reporting the book. I accompanied students on several debate trips and visited students at home, on breaks, and over the summer.... p. 287

Her account appears to pretty fair but, to me the picture she paints of Farris is far from flattering.

Much of the book is about individual students lives. Most interesting are the expected gender roles. Men are expected to be the leaders.

Chapter 11: Obey, All You Little Children details Bob Stacy’s firing and the subsequent resignation of the other professors. Also discussed here.

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread ... light=AALE

I’d guess the reason the whole AALE accreditation saga was not addressed is because the controversy ended in 2002. But note, PHC never lost its AALE pre-accreditation status. PHC won an appeal with the AALE in 2002 and terminated its relationship with the AALE in 2005.

http://www.phc.edu/news/docs/200211130.asp

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/ ... highlight=

PHC’s views on creationism, which were the genesis for the AALE’s initial rejection are discussed in Chapter 8: From Humanzee to Liger: A Brief History of Evolution. Ms. Rosin’s own views on creationism are stated on page 7.

I firmly believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old, or whatever the current scientific consensus says.

TRACS gets one mention.

At the end of the 2006-2007 year; the school was accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.... p.278
Charles
Charles

Return to Books & Reviews