This book changes everything.

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

Postby Crisper » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:51 am

Carl_Reginstein wrote:
uncle janko wrote:I couldn't agree more. :twisted:

Alright. I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed. What does "Q.E.N.D." mean? I think I have "S.P.Q.R." figured out finally (The Senate and People of Rome), but I have no idea on this "Q.E.N.D." thing..... :?:

I assumed it was Unk's play on "quod erat demonstrandum" which used to be placed at the end of a mathematical or logical proof (trans roughly to "which was to be shown"). I assumed that the "N" represented a negative addition to the phrase, reversing its meaning.
Chris
Crisper

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 am

Crisper wrote:
Carl_Reginstein wrote:
uncle janko wrote:I couldn't agree more. :twisted:

Alright. I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed. What does "Q.E.N.D." mean? I think I have "S.P.Q.R." figured out finally (The Senate and People of Rome), but I have no idea on this "Q.E.N.D." thing..... :?:

I assumed it was Unk's play on "quod erat demonstrandum" which used to be placed at the end of a mathematical or logical proof (trans roughly to "which was to be shown"). I assumed that the "N" represented a negative addition to the phrase, reversing its meaning.

I guess I must have just had the "new math", because I've never heard of "quod erat demonstrandum" before in my life! Thanks for informing me. I learn something new every day.
Carl_Reginstein

Re: This book changes everything.

Postby AaronWillbert » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 am

About intuition. Written by a scientist trying to deal with the reality of the spirit realm. Good read. Provides some insights, creates more questions. I especially like the analogy of why we don't 'know' the spirit realm as humans - We can't see the stars during the day, but we can at night. Another book to add to my bookshelves.
AaronWillbert

Previous

Return to Books & Reviews