The Secret Message of Jesus

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

The Secret Message of Jesus

Postby Brandon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:08 pm

I just finished reading this book by emergent church leader Brian McLaren. I picked it up in an effort to learn more about this particular movement. The book was interesting. Has anyone else read it?
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm

No, but you can save me the cost and effort to read it by telling me what the "secret message" is!

I hate secrets! Especially ones that God comes up with, but somehow expects us to understand and know about anyway.
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Brandon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:51 am

The “secret” is actually a new way of looking at and interpreting the teachings of Jesus. It is written by Brian McLaren, a prominent member of the “postmodern” emergent church movement. Reading it, I can’t decide if McLaren is a liberal conservative or a conservative liberal. It is really quite an interesting book. You’d have to read it to get the whole message but McLaren seems interested in calling Christians to focus on being good citizens of the kingdom of God while on Earth. It is not your typical Christian book nor is McLaren’s postmodern Christianity typical. You might actually like this book, Carl. It is really quite short and can be read in a day or two. You should check it out.

Here is his website: http://www.brianmclaren.net/
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Brandon wrote:The “secret” is actually a new way of looking at and interpreting the teachings of Jesus. It is written by Brian McLaren, a prominent member of the “postmodern” emergent church movement. Reading it, I can’t decide if McLaren is a liberal conservative or a conservative liberal. It is really quite an interesting book. You’d have to read it to get the whole message but McLaren seems interested in calling Christians to focus on being good citizens of the kingdom of God while on Earth. It is not your typical Christian book nor is McLaren’s postmodern Christianity typical. You might actually like this book, Carl. It is really quite short and can be read in a day or two. You should check it out.

Here is his website: http://www.brianmclaren.net/

Does it have a lot of pictures? If so, and I can read it in a "day or two" I'm there..... :lol:

Thanks Brandon..... You're right, I'd probably love the book. It is on my list, but I have a few dozen others to get through first!
Carl_Reginstein

Re: The Secret Message of Jesus

Postby ericb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:03 am

I will keep a look for the book. :)
ericb

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The New Testament is a Jewish book, written by Jews, initially for Jews. Its central figure was a Jew.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Eric wrote:The New Testament is a Jewish book, written by Jews, initially for Jews. Its central figure was a Jew.

...Nu? :)

Johann
johann

Return to Books & Reviews