God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:25 pm

I watched the author, Adam Nicolson, discussing this book on C-SPAN some time ago. I finally got around to reading it. I really liked the manner in which Nicolson discussed what else was happening in England and Europe at the time the six companies of translators were at work.
Charles
Charles

Postby John Bear » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 am

When we were doing marketing for the Heriot-Watt University distance MBA, prospective students often used to ask questions about Scottish education and Scotland in general. We were prepared to talk about the famous Scots -- Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, Bobby Burns, and so on -- and the fact that if they had a King James version of the Bible, then the first name they saw, every time they picked it up, was that of the great King of Scotland, James VI (later James the First of England).
John Bear

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:30 pm

John Bear wrote:When we were doing marketing for the Heriot-Watt University distance MBA, prospective students often used to ask questions about Scottish education and Scotland in general. We were prepared to talk about the famous Scots -- Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, Bobby Burns, and so on -- and the fact that if they had a King James version of the Bible, then the first name they saw, every time they picked it up, was that of the great King of Scotland, James VI (later James the First of England).

Don't forget the quintessential Scot: Sean Connery!

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby John Bear » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:09 am

Steve: Don't forget the quintessential Scot: Sean Connery!

John: Indeed. Once I asked the Heriot-Watt public information officer who were some of the well-known graduates of the university. He named some of them -- second tier, one might say -- a prince of Norway, a former president of MIT, that sort of thing -- then he smiled, and said, "Now of course our most famous alumnus doesn't really exist." He went on to say that somewhere in the Ian Fleming oeuvre, it is mentioned that James Bond was a graduate of Heriot-Watt University.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Did Shakespeare write some of the King James Bible?

Postby John Bear » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:18 am

This had apparently been rumored for centuries. He was alive and very productive during the time it was being translated and published. Then someone discovered this tantalizing clue:

Shakespeare was 46 years old at the start of the year the KJV was published, and 47 at the end of that year.
Go to the 46th Psalm, and count in 46 words: Shake.
Then count 47 words back from the end: Speare.

One wonders how this was discovered. And what can it all mean?
John Bear

Re: Did Shakespeare write some of the King James Bible?

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:11 pm

John Bear wrote:And what can it all mean?

Conceivably, that with an infinite number of monkeys typing randomly on an infinite number of typewriters, one of them will eventually come up with Hamlet. In other words, in a volume that size, if you look hard enough for a coincidence, you're likely to find one.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Malcolm Jenner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 pm

John Bear wrote:somewhere in the Ian Fleming oeuvre, it is mentioned that James Bond was a graduate of Heriot-Watt University.

Not according to the "biography" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(character) . Geneva, Cambridge, possibly Oxford, but only Fettes College in Edinburgh, which is an independent school with at least one more notorious alumnus.
Malcolm Jenner

Postby John Bear » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:26 am

Malcolm Jenner: "...at least one more notorious alumnus..."

That would your soon-to-be-former prime minister, eh?

Perhaps we can find an alumnus of Eastern Caribbean University, that odd Texas-based, St. Kitts-accredited institution where the entire curriculum seemed to be the study of James Bond.
John Bear

Postby uncle janko » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm

What are the dates of its accreditation by St Kitts? Is it still accredited?
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby kakaretso » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 am

When the King James Bible translators had finished their work the whole text was sent to the Reverend John Bois to make it poetic. Therefore we have "Cast your bread upon the waters" instead of "Send your goods overseas." I doubt Shakespeare was involved. His vocabulary was so huge he would have been stifled by the small vocabulary used in the St James Bible.
kakaretso

Postby John Bear » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:55 pm

uncle janko asks when Eastern Caribbean University was accredited by St. Kitts, and if it still is.

1999-2001, and no.

You can read about them by entering "www.ecaribbeanu.com" into the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org.
John Bear

Re: God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible

Postby Jake_A » Sun May 13, 2007 4:08 pm

Charles wrote:I watched the author, Adam Nicolson, discussing this book on C-SPAN some time ago. I finally got around to reading it. I really liked the manner in which Nicolson discussed what else was happening in England and Europe at the time the six companies of translators were at work.

A quite intriguing question is as follows:

So ..... when all is said and done and written, who really is responsible for (which is not quite the same as 'who wrote') the King James Bible?

About the book, "God's Bestseller: William Tyndale, Thomas More, and the Writing of the English Bible - A Story of Martyrdom and Betrayal," one reviewer wrote that "...Tyndale's translation still exists in the King James Version, since his words account for 84% of its New Testament and 76% of its Old Testament."

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Bestseller-Bible-Martyrdom-Betrayal/dp/0312314868/ref=pd_sim_b_4/102-4293878-1818539

Interesting. Profoundly and historically interesting.
MS, MPH, CPM, CCP, PhD Cand.
"A good name is better than riches"
BS Brown University, Prov, RI
MS Columbia University, NYC
MPH, Columbia University, NYC
CPM, Geo. Wash. Univ, DC
CCP, Learning Tree Int, Rock, MD
Ph.D. University of South Africa
Jake_A

Return to Books & Reviews