The Postman

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

The Postman

Postby Brandon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:00 pm

I just picked up a copy of David Brin’s the Postman. I enjoyed the movie when it came out, though it appears no one else did. I guess its not hard to entertain a kid. Anyways, I hear it strays a great deal from the book. Anyone have comments? Thanks.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Re: The Postman

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Brandon wrote:I just picked up a copy of David Brin’s the Postman. I enjoyed the movie when it came out, though it appears no one else did. I guess its not hard to entertain a kid. Anyways, I hear it strays a great deal from the book. Anyone have comments? Thanks.

If you're like me you'll find the book is a lot better than the movie. Brin gave the characters interesting development, whereas in the movie the title character doesn't even have a frakkin' name.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Re: The Postman

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:20 pm

Brandon wrote:I just picked up a copy of David Brin’s the Postman. I enjoyed the movie when it came out, though it appears no one else did. I guess its not hard to entertain a kid. Anyways, I hear it strays a great deal from the book. Anyone have comments? Thanks.

I liked the book a lot better than the movie. At times the book is extremely moving and memorable. But at times the characters seem a little two dimensional, like symbols in a social allegory.
Hungry Ghost

Return to Books & Reviews