Brandon: Stephen King question

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

Brandon: Stephen King question

Postby Roscoe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:30 am

Did you read his memoir, "On Writing"?

What did you think of it?

I've read it several times and often recommend it to writers.

BTW, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Roscoe
Roscoe

Re: Brandon: Stephen King question

Postby Abner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:55 am

Roscoe wrote:Did you read his memoir, "On Writing"?

What did you think of it?

I've read it several times and often recommend it to writers.

BTW, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Roscoe

My wife has the book and the tape! Quite genial and non-pompous. BTW, my wife is quite a talented writer who will be published eventually, she has the advantage of having some very seasoned authors as her mentors. :)

See ya,

Abner 8)
Abner

Postby mattchand » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:52 am

It's apparently autobiographical, but I wonder if there is also an element of what King was writing in Danse Macabre, which was "on writing" (on writing gothic horror, at any rate).

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Brandon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:30 am

It was a great book. Even my mother, not normally a King fan, enjoyed it. I think the way King wrote it was really good. He not only gave advice on writing, he used his own life and experiences as a means of getting his point across. And his honesty about his past struggles and problems can only serve as encouragement to everyone else, I think, because it reminds us that even great writers like Stephen King struggle and suffer with problems that can affect anyone of us. He also reminds us just how hard he had to work to achieve his dreams and shares with us the discouragement he felt along the way. I feel that is a powerful message to any aspiring writer out there.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:37 am

BTW, what was your favorite part?
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby Abner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 am

Brandon wrote:BTW, what was your favorite part?

Abner:

I liked the part about how he met his wife in his college.

Abner 8)
Abner

Postby Jack » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:16 am

I read this book about a year ago. While you are aware that this is a book about how to write well, there are sections that read a bit like a novel. There are tips throughout but, as Brandon said, perhaps the best part is King's description of how hard it is to stick to the goal. Sustaining the effort toward a difficult goal seems to me to be the key to many things in this life.
Jack

Postby Roscoe » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:19 am

Brandon wrote:BTW, what was your favorite part?

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for sharing.

The funniest part for me was how he described the weird behavior of the babysitter. Remember that? :-)

The other part that cracked me up was the poison ivy incident.

I also had to laugh when his wife asked if he had drank the mouth wash. And he said no, he preferred Scope (or was it another brand?)

The most dramatic moment for me was when his wife pulled the "Carrie" manuscript from the trash. When he learned of the big offer he received for the book, and he broke the news to his wife, I cried along with him.

I like the story he told about the girl in school that "Carrie" was based on. Kinda sad.

I especially enjoyed his writing tips and was really pleased to see his recommendaiton of "The Elements of Style." I try to read that book twice a year. Been doing so for over 20 years. I've also given away many copies to aspiring writers.

One of the most interesting parts for me was his writing of either Cujo or Tummyknockers (sp?). Because of his drug addiction, he said he hardly remember writing it. As I recall, he said his heart was racing because of the coke. He was in a daze because of the alcohol and he had tissue stuffed in both nostrils to stop the bleeding (from sniffing drugs).

Talk about raw and honest.

I also appreciated the way his wife took a stand and gave him a choice, which prompted him to straighten up.

Oh, I could go on and on.

Roscoe
Roscoe

Postby Roscoe » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:25 am

Abner wrote:My wife has the book and the tape! Quite genial and non-pompous. BTW, my wife is quite a talented writer who will be published eventually, she has the advantage of having some very seasoned authors as her mentors. :)

Abner 8)

You are correct. I also found it to be non-pompous.

BTW, what type of writing is your wife doing ... or hope to publish?

She is probably a member of a good discussion group. But two she may want to check out are: www.absolutewrite.com and www.writersnet.com. When I'm not too busy, I try to spend time at the second one. It's a good group with tons of good advice.

Roscoe
Roscoe

Postby Roscoe » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:33 am

Jack wrote:I read this book about a year ago. While you are aware that this is a book about how to write well, there are sections that read a bit like a novel. There are tips throughout but, as Brandon said, perhaps the best part is King's description of how hard it is to stick to the goal. Sustaining the effort toward a difficult goal seems to me to be the key to many things in this life.

You are right. I found it to be inspiring and encouraging on many levels.

Perseverance seems to be a key factor in the success of many, if not most, writers. (I'm sure Dr. Bear can tell us much about this. If we're lucky, he might even share a colorful anecdote.:-))

Sometimes when I'm in the dumps with a writing project, I'll pick up King's book and get inspired.

Roscoe
Roscoe

Postby Brandon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:52 am

Roscoe wrote:The funniest part for me was how he described the weird behavior of the babysitter. Remember that?

My mother thought the very same thing about that part. The farting babysitter from hell, lol.

Roscoe wrote:The other part that cracked me up was the poison ivy incident.

That was the funniest part for me. I can't remember, didn't he mention that one part of his "private area" was spared while the other part wasn't so, um, well, lucky? LOL, this is making me want to read it all over again. :D

Roscoe wrote:I also had to laugh when his wife asked if he had drank the mouth wash. And he said no, he preferred Scope (or was it another brand?)

I'm not sure if it was Scope or another brand...more reason to read it again.

Roscoe wrote:The most dramatic moment for me was when his wife pulled the "Carrie" manuscript from the trash. When he learned of the big offer he received for the book, and he broke the news to his wife, I cried along with him.

That part was great. I just think about how terrible it would be if she hadn't pulled it out. I think King is the best living writer around.

Roscoe wrote:I especially enjoyed his writing tips and was really pleased to see his recommendaiton of "The Elements of Style." I try to read that book twice a year. Been doing so for over 20 years. I've also given away many copies to aspiring writers.

I am so glad my college required that book for English Comp. It is one of the few books I haven't even thought about selling back to the bookstore.

Roscoe wrote:One of the most interesting parts for me was his writing of either Cujo or Tummyknockers (sp?). Because of his drug addiction, he said he hardly remember writing it. As I recall, he said his heart was racing because of the coke. He was in a daze because of the alcohol and he had tissue stuffed in both nostrils to stop the bleeding (from sniffing drugs).

I'm positive that it was Cujo. Another great book. Of course, all his books are great.

Roscoe wrote:Sometimes when I'm in the dumps with a writing project, I'll pick up King's book and get inspired.

I should really do that as well. I am trying to write a science fiction novel right now. I've got about 12 pages thus far and I am editing it a bit so that I can have a trusted source (he knows who he is) look it over and give me feedback.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby Abner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:38 am

Roscoe wrote:
Abner wrote:My wife has the book and the tape! Quite genial and non-pompous. BTW, my wife is quite a talented writer who will be published eventually, she has the advantage of having some very seasoned authors as her mentors. :)

Abner 8)

You are correct. I also found it to be non-pompous.

BTW, what type of writing is your wife doing ... or hope to publish?

She is probably a member of a good discussion group. But two she may want to check out are: www.absolutewrite.com and www.writersnet.com. When I'm not too busy, I try to spend time at the second one. It's a good group with tons of good advice.

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe!

My wife writes various genres of fiction. She has a talent that inspires various authors to take her under their wing! She is quite talented, I am proud to say.

I will pass the websites on, thank you.

Abner 8)
Abner

Postby Roscoe » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:42 am

Brandon,

So you're writing a novel, huh?

Good for you. I wish you much success. Perhaps you could be the next C.S. Lewis or Frank Paretti (sp?).

BTW, have you read Eragon? It's one of the great success stories of the year. As I recall, the author wrote it as a teenager and self-published it to noteworthy sucess. It was picked up by a major publisher.

Now I see it's been turned into a movie and a video game. A while back he was featured in Writer's Digest.

I don't write fiction, but his success makes me envious. :-)

Roscoe

P.S. A recent issue of Writer's Digest featured an interview with Jerry B. Jenkins, co-author of Left Behind series. It was pretty instructional and inspiring.
Roscoe

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:58 pm

I've had some story ideas, but no time to do anything more than a short outline. I put this in the category of "things Dr. Foerster will do". :)

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Brandon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:50 pm

I’ve gotten a decent start but I just don’t have time to devote lots of energy toward finishing it right now. I’ve got fourteen pages done and I’ve used those to introduce a few of the important characters. The basic idea right now is a Spartacus type figure who leads a slave revolt that is much more successful than the original Spartacus. Along the way, a major component of the story will be about forgiveness and redemption.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Next

Return to Books & Reviews