Cell

Discussion and reviews of books and other items of interest to our members.

Cell

Postby Brandon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:56 am

This is a novel by Stephen King. Just finished it. Couldn't put it down. It's kind of like Dawn of the Dead meets Maximum Overdrive or something like that. With some telepathy thrown in for good measure. It starts out pretty simple, with the main character having a really good day in Boston, waiting for his turn at the ice cream truck, when suddenly, a "pulse" is sent to every cell phone in the world by a never named terrorist and/or rogue government group. Turns everyone who hears it into zombie-like creatures. They go on a killing spree and the number of "infected" spreads as foolish people try their cell phones to find out what is up and get hit by the pulse. I'll leave it at that. Written with King's usual style, it's a great read for anyone who enjoys horror and suspense.
Last edited by Brandon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby aic712 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:41 am

thanks for the tip, I just finished reading skeleton crew which is excellent as well.
aic712

Postby Brandon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:49 am

You're welcome. Stephen King is the MAN when it comes to horror and suspense! :D I'm a big King fan and recommend his books to everyone and I've seen all the movies made from them. Since I live in the cornfields of Indiana I checked his website to see if he still autographs books that come in the mail and of course not, he's doing that semi-retirement thing. How sad for me... :(
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:59 pm

Brandon1 wrote:You're welcome. Stephen King is the MAN when it comes to horror and suspense! :D I'm a big King fan and recommend his books to everyone and I've seen all the movies made from them. Since I live in the cornfields of Indiana I checked his website to see if he still autographs books that come in the mail and of course not, he's doing that semi-retirement thing. How sad for me... :(

I find it interesting that a man so clearly involved in his religion would find Stephen King horror novels and resulting movies an outlet for entertainment. Is this the dark side of Poimen coming through? :wink:

On the other hand, I never read that stuff, but people have told me that I look like Stephen King (usually at the drive-up window of the local McDonalds).
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:
Brandon1 wrote:You're welcome. Stephen King is the MAN when it comes to horror and suspense! :D I'm a big King fan and recommend his books to everyone and I've seen all the movies made from them. Since I live in the cornfields of Indiana I checked his website to see if he still autographs books that come in the mail and of course not, he's doing that semi-retirement thing. How sad for me... :(

I find it interesting that a man so clearly involved in his religion would find Stephen King horror novels and resulting movies an outlet for entertainment. Is this the dark side of Poimen coming through? :wink:

On the other hand, I never read that stuff, but people have told me that I look like Stephen King (usually at the drive-up window of the local McDonalds).

Duh! I meant Brandon.... not Poimen..... Duh again! Too many religious guys out here for me to keep track of in my old age....
Carl_Reginstein

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:On the other hand, I never read that stuff, but people have told me that I look like Stephen King (usually at the drive-up window of the local McDonalds).

Hey, that's better than saying you look like something from one of his books. ;)

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby aic712 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:03 pm

"Hey, that's better than saying you look like something from one of his books"

Especially if that something was Pennywise, I hate clowns...
aic712

Postby Brandon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:16 am

Carl_Reginstein wrote:

Well, I just use it for ideas on what to do with those pesky heretics that keep popping up. :lol: So, you look like Stephen King, eh? I have a new found respect for you! :D

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:24 am

aic712 wrote:"Hey, that's better than saying you look like something from one of his books"

IT is definitely one of my favorite books by King. The movie is okay, but it lacks the depth of the book. But now that you mention it, I did have a secretary at my old high school who looked like the Pennywise actor in the movie. Freaky and I didn't really get along with her. Anyways, I dislike Hollywood or whoever makes most the King movies. They don't do a very good job. I liked the movie based on the Stand, it was decent enough. But very long. Then the other, uh....I think it was the Langoliers or something. I never read the book and can't really remember the name. It gave me a few chills, but I was only 12 at the time, I think.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:36 am

The Green Mile was turned into a very good movie, I thought.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Postby mattchand » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:14 am

Brandon1 wrote:
aic712 wrote:"Hey, that's better than saying you look like something from one of his books"

IT is definitely one of my favorite books by King. The movie is okay, but it lacks the depth of the book. But now that you mention it, I did have a secretary at my old high school who looked like the Pennywise actor in the movie. Freaky and I didn't really get along with her. Anyways, I dislike Hollywood or whoever makes most the King movies. They don't do a very good job. I liked the movie based on the Stand, it was decent enough. But very long. Then the other, uh....I think it was the Langoliers or something. I never read the book and can't really remember the name. It gave me a few chills, but I was only 12 at the time, I think.

Wasn't Pennywise played by Tim Curry in the movie? I thought it was OK, although the ending was poorly executed, in my opinion.

I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger; some of his short stories were brilliant as well as absolutely terrifying. "The Boogyman" had me sleeping with the lights on for a long time. "So nice"... brrrr, it still kind of gives me the creeps.

Worth a look is early 20th century horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, whose short stories, set mainly in a series of mythical towns on the Massachusetts coast, were an obvious influence on King.

Peace and literature,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Brandon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:34 am

mattchand wrote:
Brandon1 wrote:

Wasn't Pennywise played by Tim Curry in the movie? I thought it was OK, although the ending was poorly executed, in my opinion.

I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger; some of his short stories were brilliant as well as absolutely terrifying. "The Boogyman" had me sleeping with the lights on for a long time. "So nice"... brrrr, it still kind of gives me the creeps.

Worth a look is early 20th century horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, whose short stories, set mainly in a series of mythical towns on the Massachusetts coast, were an obvious influence on King.

Peace and literature,

Matt

Yes, I think Pennywise was played by Tim Curry, who has appeared in other films that got their start as a book, like the Hunt for Red October. I think he was the Russian doctor, the only officer not in the loop.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Thank You

Postby aic712 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:22 pm

I picked up the book last week and am pretty well into it, thanks again for the excellent suggestion
aic712

Re: Thank You

Postby Brandon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:56 am

aic712 wrote:I picked up the book last week and am pretty well into it, thanks again for the excellent suggestion

You're very welcome! Please let us know if you enjoyed the whole thing.

Bernie 2016

Brandon

Return to Books & Reviews