Exams for religious courses

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Exams for religious courses

Postby PatsFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously. Is anyone aware of exams for specific courses like Christian theology, church history, New Testament Survey, Christian worldview, etc ? The reason I ask is that there are several alternative training programs being offered these days for Christian leaders. More often than not the courses are unaccredited, yet are often taught by qualified instructors (i.e. people with accredited masters or doctoral degrees). DSST and CLEP don't seem to offer anything more than a World Religions course. Thanks.
Tom
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Re: Exams for religious courses

Postby johann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 am

As I have the time at my disposal, I searched on this topic for quite a while. Usually, on this kind of question, I can at least unearth something.

This time, I dug many deep holes with my paws, sniffed and sniffed, howled and whined quite a bit and.... zero. :(

You're right. The accepted tests, including (but not limited to) CLEP and DSST have nothing but survey, introductory World Religions exams. Various accredited schools will allow those who are enrolled to write challenge exams for certain courses, religious and otherwise. Accepted courses vary by department and school.

Enrolling at an accredited school and writing such an exam is the only way I found to get credit by exam for the type of religious courses you describe. It is not necessarily inexpensive, either. Half the price (or more) of tuition would not surprise me. Any less would.

We have members who know far more about religious schools and courses than I do. In fact, there are probably none who know less than I! :( Perhaps some of our members with religious educations know of other alternatives. Then again, seeing the paucity of posts, maybe not. I wish you more success than I had in finding such exam possibilities. :)

Johann
johann

Postby PatsFan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 am

johann wrote:As I have the time at my disposal, I searched on this topic for quite a while. Usually, on this kind of question, I can at least unearth something. Johann

Thanks, Johann! I'm a little surprised that there aren't many exams for religious courses. In my Baptist denomination there are extension schools offered in the community in church basements sponsored by various seminaries. Some are regionally accredited; some are not. In light of the lack of credit by examination opportunities for religous courses, I'm glad the extension I just started at the prison where I work is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges. The undergraduate courses we will offer should fairly easily transfer to colleges in the community upon our students' release from prison.
Tom
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:57 pm

PatsFan wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed previously. Is anyone aware of exams for specific courses like Christian theology, church history, New Testament Survey, Christian worldview, etc ?

The closest approximation that I'm aware of is the University of London's International Programme (formerly the External Programme). They offer a Bachelors of Divinity (B.D.) as well as certificate programs, based on an independent-study/examination format. Apparently students need to initially apply to either the degree or certificate program, but then they pay for their classes individually. Prices seem to be very reasonable.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/co ... y-theology
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 pm

The individual fees of approx. $333 per subject are reasonable, though (perhaps justifiably) several times what one would likely pay in other exam-only situations, e.g. CLEP etc.

The kickers are:

(1) The additional initial registration fee of $1,036 US
(2) The additional yearly continuing registration fee of $590 US
(3) The courses lead to a respected degree or certificate -- but would they individually have transferability, e.g. to US schools? Could vary. I'm not sure.

As I said - a respected degree or cert. but a more expensive and possibly problematic proposition as individual courses. I think PatsFan was looking for individual exams with transferable credits. These may or may not be -- and taken separately, not intending completion of the UoL degree program, they carry quite a price, all fees considered.

The fees, etc. are detailed here: http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/co ... ology#fees

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Again - as a full degree program, it's admirable. $6,540 is the complete cost of the B.Div. It's just when you split the courses up, intending to seek credit for the individual exams elsewhere, that things begin to appear more costly.

Johann
johann

Postby major56 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 am

Liberty University |Online: Institutional Challenge Exam (ICE)
https://www.liberty.edu/online/?PID=14243
Major

“We recruit what we are.”—Major General Jack Klemp, Marine Corps Recruiting Command
major56

Postby major56 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:55 am

National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS)-University of the State of New York - Regents Research Fund: "Translating non-collegiate learning experiences into college credit recommendations since 1973."

E.g., The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies:
http://www.nationalccrs.org/ccr/rechtschaffen_home
http://www.nationalccrs.org/ccr/rechtsc ... bible.html

Cooperating Colleges and Universities:
http://www.nationalccrs.org/colleges_un ... /home.html
Major

“We recruit what we are.”—Major General Jack Klemp, Marine Corps Recruiting Command
major56

Return to Credit by Examination