Excelsior College will no longer grant credit for any GRE

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Excelsior College will no longer grant credit for any GRE

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am

Excelsior College will no longer grant credit to any student enrolling on or after September 1, 2010, for any GRE Subject Test. This decision was approved by the Academic Affairs Council on August 11, 2010.
Should any currently enrolled student wish to use GRE Subject credit, they will need to contact their advisor and have an official GRE transcript sent in by September 1, 2011.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: Excelsior College will no longer grant credit for any GRE

Postby mattchand » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:26 am

Yet another great reason to have a look at Charter Oak.... which, I think, is now the only school to grant credit for GRE subject exams. :mrgreen:
mattchand

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:17 pm

mattchand wrote:Yet another great reason to have a look at Charter Oak.... which, I think, is now the only school to grant credit for GRE subject exams. :mrgreen:

True that, although if I remember right, Charter Oak awards less credit for a very high score than Excelsior has, so it's still the end of the "one test to complete your major" era.

Anyway, I don't expect it would, but I've asked Charter Oak whether Excelsior's policy change will have any effect on Charter Oak's acceptance of GRE Subject Exam scores. I'll report any reply here.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 pm

I wander why EC is changing the policy?

One reason is that they can sell more classes $1000 per unit, I could be wrong but maybe some one knows the real reason.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Eric wrote:I wander why EC is changing the policy?

My guess is that Excelsior's accreditor, Middle States, objected to it.

Charter Oak is supervised by a different regional accreditor, the New England Association, so it will be interesting to see if COSC follows suit.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Tark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 am

The timing of Excelsior's rather sudden announcement doesn't appear consistent with this theory.

MSCHE last affirmed Excelsior's accreditation in 2007. If MSCHE disapproved of credit for GRE scores, they would have made this known to Excelsior at that time. In this case, Excelsior probably wouldn't have waited until 2010 to suddenly change its policy.

Excelsior needs to submit a "self-study evaluation" during the 2011-2012 school year, but they don't face another full review from MSCHE until 2016-2017. So it doesn't seem like they could be facing immediate pressure from their accreditor either.
Tark

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Tark wrote:

The timing of Excelsior's rather sudden announcement doesn't appear consistent with this theory.

I was just speculating, so it might have only been wishful thinking on my part.

I do believe that awarding an entire major's worth of credit for passing one exam is a millish practice and think that the accreditors should take an interest in it.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

I think its about selling more classes.
Also many NA schools don't have such liberal credit award policy.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:38 pm

True, that. Taft Law School would accept no more than nine transferred semester hours of graduate work toward my LL.M. There is NO provision for any other advance standing credit.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby levicoff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Um, guys, I think there's a lot of unnecessary speculation going on here . . .

(By the way, the "Big 3"* have always had policies more liberal than a lot of NA schools. Where else could you get an RA bachelor's degree solely through transfer credits, testing out, or portfolio credit? Remember, I earned my own B.A. in Humanities from TESC by transferring in a whopping 6 credits, earning 98 credits by portfolio, and testing out of the other 16 credits. The Big 3, being RA, know they're legit - it's the NA schools that feel they have to prove they're legit.)

Now, if you want to get to the truth, the simple solution is to call Excelsior and have a chat with one of their testing & assessment people. "Gee," you might ask, "how come [colloquial as it may be] you folks won't be granting credit for the GRE's any more?"

I, on the other hand, am too lazy to do so (read that, I have other interests). So I leave it to one of you future research mavens to gain some valuable experience in primary source research. :lol:

* For the newbies, "The Big 3" refer to the three regionally accredited colleges that have historically had alternative means of evaluating credit: Charter Oak State College (CT), Excelsior College (NY), and Thomas Edison State College (NJ).
levicoff

Postby Gus Sainz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:02 am

levicoff wrote:Now, if you want to get to the truth, the simple solution is to call Excelsior and have a chat with one of their testing & assessment people. "Gee," you might ask, "how come [colloquial as it may be] you folks won't be granting credit for the GRE's any more?"

Funny you should mention it, because that’s exactly what I did. A few days ago I had a lengthy cordial chat with Bill Stewart, the Assistant Vice President of Excelsior College.

He provided me with a great deal of information, and as I still had further questions, suggested I speak with other personnel.

Bill assured me the accreditor had nothing to do with the matter. He also dismissed the idea that it was done to generate additional revenues (Excelsior offers it own courses and exams) because only about 20 students each year availed themselves of GRE credit.

The reason given for dropping the program for earning credit via GRE exams is that “the faculty didn’t feel the exams aligned well with Excelsior’s curriculum.” This, of course, begs the question: If a student graduates from Excelsior College with an undergraduate degree, is he or she then ill-prepared to take the GRE? This is disconcerting because many graduate schools still rely on GRE scores (particularly subject tests) as part of their admission process.

I don’t have a problem with Excelsior College dropping the use of GRE examinations as a means of earning credit; it is certainly within any legitimate academic institution’s right to change degree requirements and means of earning credit (within certain limitations). I do have a problem, however, with they way Excelsior College went about it.

To date, Excelsior College still hasn’t provided any official notification of this change to prospective students or the public at large; they only sent out a brief email to currently enrolled students (which is how the news got out and onto the Internet). Moreover, their Web site still shows it is possible to earn credit through GRE exams (Bill assured me they would correct that).

In a way, however, it doesn’t matter if prospective students who had hopes of earning GRE credit were notified or not, as Excelsior College gave such very short notice of this change that anyone who had not yet enrolled, would simply not have enough time to do so. I know some students who have been studying for the GRE for months (with the intention of taking the test before enrolling) who are not very happy about all of this; they feel that Excelsior College has left them in the lurch.

In all fairness, I was also told that there might be some kind of appeal process. I am looking into it and will post the information here once I receive it.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Return to Credit by Examination