GRE

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

GRE

Postby Brandon » Wed May 03, 2006 1:43 am

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. I've been looking into COSC a lot, and I think I may try attending there, after I complete some more courses at my community college. I've been reading through their catalog and I see that they offer a large number of credits for passing the GRE. I think you have to be in the 40th percentile or something and they'll give you like 24 credits for most of the subjects, except Psychology, which only gets 18 credits. I'm thinking about giving something like that a shot. Does anyone know of some good prep books for the GRE Psychology exam? I've selected this as a potential major because it is the only credit-by-GRE major that I am interested in. Plus, I did very well in my intro to psychology class so I think with some intense study, I might be able to pass the GRE in the acceptable range. Any other tips or bits of advice? Thanks and God bless.
Brandon

Re: GRE

Postby mattchand » Wed May 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Brandon1 wrote:Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. I've been looking into COSC a lot, and I think I may try attending there, after I complete some more courses at my community college. I've been reading through their catalog and I see that they offer a large number of credits for passing the GRE. I think you have to be in the 40th percentile or something and they'll give you like 24 credits for most of the subjects, except Psychology, which only gets 18 credits. I'm thinking about giving something like that a shot. Does anyone know of some good prep books for the GRE Psychology exam? I've selected this as a potential major because it is the only credit-by-GRE major that I am interested in. Plus, I did very well in my intro to psychology class so I think with some intense study, I might be able to pass the GRE in the acceptable range. Any other tips or bits of advice? Thanks and God bless.

Hi Brandon,

COSC gives 18 credits for the non-hard science GRE's (e.g., Psychology, Literature) and 24 credits for the hard sciences (e.g., Comp. Sci., Physics). I took both the Psych and Lit. GRE's, and for both I would recommend the Princeton Review guides (you can get 2nd hand ones on Amazon, Half.com and various other sites; just be sure to get the latest edition). Additionally, especially in the case of the Literature GRE I would recommend getting the Norton Anthology of English Literature (super cheap at the aforementioned sites, and some truly great reading as well) and reading everything the Princeton Review guide suggests.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Brandon » Wed May 03, 2006 8:04 pm

Thanks Matt! I'm also wondering, would it be a good idea to obtain copies of GRE prep books from all three of the big names I hear about, Barrons, Princeton Review, and Kaplan?
Brandon

Postby mattchand » Fri May 05, 2006 4:27 pm

Brandon1 wrote:Thanks Matt! I'm also wondering, would it be a good idea to obtain copies of GRE prep books from all three of the big names I hear about, Barrons, Princeton Review, and Kaplan?

Brandon,

I'd say, "Let your fingers do the typing" and head over to http://bain4weeks.com/examtips.html and http://bain4weeks.com/ght134.html, in both cases scrolling down to the GRE sections. I'd probably go with Lawrie's suggestions, but you can check Amazon reviews of the others as well.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Abner » Tue May 09, 2006 12:15 am

Brandon1 wrote:Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. I've been looking into COSC a lot, and I think I may try attending there, after I complete some more courses at my community college. I've been reading through their catalog and I see that they offer a large number of credits for passing the GRE. I think you have to be in the 40th percentile or something and they'll give you like 24 credits for most of the subjects, except Psychology, which only gets 18 credits. I'm thinking about giving something like that a shot. Does anyone know of some good prep books for the GRE Psychology exam? I've selected this as a potential major because it is the only credit-by-GRE major that I am interested in. Plus, I did very well in my intro to psychology class so I think with some intense study, I might be able to pass the GRE in the acceptable range. Any other tips or bits of advice? Thanks and God bless.

Good choice Brandon. I remember you mentioning something about labor studies as well. You may want to consider The Excelsior Labor studies exam. I believe it is 3 upper level credits. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Take care,

Abner :)
Abner

Postby testingout » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:25 pm

Thought I'd share my own GRE Psychology story. I took it for Excelsior and got 15 credits out of a possible 30. I've heard the GRE was designed so that it would be difficult to cram for but I wanted more credits. So I found different study materials, used different study strategy and really crammed. Took it again months later and got the same 15 credits.

Good Luck
testingout

Postby mattchand » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:02 am

testingout wrote:Thought I'd share my own GRE Psychology story. I took it for Excelsior and got 15 credits out of a possible 30. I've heard the GRE was designed so that it would be difficult to cram for but I wanted more credits. So I found different study materials, used different study strategy and really crammed. Took it again months later and got the same 15 credits.

Good Luck

Well, COSC gives 18 credits for any score above the 40th percentile. I do know some who have gotten the 30 in Psych via GRE, though I understand that it was easier back in the day when Sociology, History and Political Science GRE Subject exams were also available.

As always in these matters, go for whichever option will work best for you.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Brandon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:43 am

Thanks for all the info! The GRE with COSC is toward the top of my list right now.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby vistacollege1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:38 pm

It is a very tough but very interesting examination which tests all the abiliites of the candidate
vistacollege1

Postby Eric » Sat May 07, 2011 6:53 am

I'm curious

When you state that COSC gives 18 or 24 credits. Is it low level , high level or mix ?

Thanks
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby mattchand » Sun May 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Eric wrote:I'm curious

When you state that COSC gives 18 or 24 credits. Is it low level , high level or mix ?

Thanks

Eric,

On my own COSC transcript, in the case of both the Psych and the Lit GREs, they were transcripted as 9 credits for Lit/Psych Introduction, 6 credits for Lit/Psych Intermediate, and 3 credits for Lit/Psych Upper Division.

Matt
mattchand

Postby detcgrad » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:33 pm

never took it myself but I hear it can be tough.
detcgrad

Postby ProfessionalEd » Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 am

In 1983, while I was completing a Bachelors degree with The University of the State of New York, Albany, now Excelsior College, I scored a 59 Percentile and was awarded 39 Semester Hours. I prepared for months. Now those were the good old days!
ProfessionalEd

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Why would anyone name a college after a packing material? :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_wool
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 am

ProfessionalEd wrote:In 1983, while I was completing a Bachelors degree with The University of the State of New York, Albany, now Excelsior College, I scored a 59 Percentile and was awarded 39 Semester Hours. I prepared for months. Now those were the good old days!

Yes, indeed. I did my bachelor's in business with them, but then wanted to see if I could do a second by taking the GRE. Got the 67th percentile on the Sociology GRE (in 1980), received 39 credits, and took one upper division CLEP to get the B.A. with a concentration in Sociology. I used to laugh that I took a B.A. without ever taking a sociology class, but I'm now balancing that out in a weird way.

Instant Karma's gonna get you.... John Lennon
Rich Douglas

Next

Return to Credit by Examination