Good Definition for CLEP, DSST, ECE, TECEP, etc.

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Good Definition for CLEP, DSST, ECE, TECEP, etc.

Postby Jake_A » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 pm

DL Newbies:

Surrender not your CLEP hopes and dreams! There is hope! This link below provides one of the several good explanations of the earning "Degrees by Examination" method which exists out there. (My DegreeDiscussion colleagues will correct me quickly if I am off-base, for sure, and i will quickly yield to their advice and expertise in these matters).

A difference that I note: it appears that we are going from some article headings which loudly state "BA in 4 Weeks" to something like "Bachelor's Degree in 6 Months" and the like.

So is it correct to state that ..... "quickies" are to be had in that other (unmentionable and unglamorous) place, not when attempting to secure a legitimate and properly-accredited education or "degree via testing."

Ok, here goes - Note that there may be occasions for legitimately obtained quickies.
:D

Credit: http://www.123collegedegree.com/bsintro.html

"Believe it or not, not many people are even aware of what a CLEP is. The easiest way to explain it is to think back to high school where some students were in rolled in Advanced Placement, AP classes i.e. AP Chemestry, AP History, AP English, AP Calculus, etc. They took a test at the end of the year, and if they earned a certain score on that test (usually a 3 out of 5), they were exempt or awarded college credit in that particular subject area.

Well the College Level Examination Program, CLEP, is exactly the same way, without having to attend a class! You simply schedule to take the test, walk in and take the test, and, if you receive a passing score, you've earned anywhere between 3 and 12 college semester credits! Other examples of credit by examination programs include: .......... "
MS, MPH, CPM, CCP, PhD Cand.
"A good name is better than riches"
BS Brown University, Prov, RI
MS Columbia University, NYC
MPH, Columbia University, NYC
CPM, Geo. Wash. Univ, DC
CCP, Learning Tree Int, Rock, MD
Ph.D. University of South Africa
Jake_A

Postby Jake_A » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Almost forgot:

To me, the most important piece of advice provided in the cited article and at the web link provided above, is: "Making sure you choose a legitimate, properly accredited school."

'Nuff said.

Thanks.
MS, MPH, CPM, CCP, PhD Cand.
"A good name is better than riches"
BS Brown University, Prov, RI
MS Columbia University, NYC
MPH, Columbia University, NYC
CPM, Geo. Wash. Univ, DC
CCP, Learning Tree Int, Rock, MD
Ph.D. University of South Africa
Jake_A

Postby aic712 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:49 pm

"Believe it or not, not many people are even aware of what a CLEP is. The easiest way to explain it is to think back to high school where some students were in rolled in Advanced Placement, AP classes i.e. AP Chemestry, AP History, AP English, AP Calculus, etc. They took a test at the end of the year, and if they earned a certain score on that test (usually a 3 out of 5), they were exempt or awarded college credit in that particular subject area"

I talk to people every day who had no idea CLEP or DANTES exams existed, and most of them are elated to find out that they can test out of a psychology/history/math class at a much cheaper rate than tuition :) That's where what I do ends up being rewarding, and it also helps that we (Strayer) offer the tests on site at all 40 campuses, and we are open test centers so my fiance is going to take a few herself :)
aic712

Return to Credit by Examination