Ancient languages by exam

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Ancient languages by exam

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

While most are familiar with the modern languages available through CLEP, a recent thread in another section brought up learning and/or testing out of ancient languages. While I'm not suggesting that self-study from a textbook is ideal, I wanted to make the links available for the two I knew of that had challenge/validation exams for university-level credit. If you have more, please post them…
some gobbledygook

Greek and Hebrew from Liberty

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Liberty offers ICE (Institutional Challenge Exams) for Hebrew I and II (OCTL 510 and 530, based on Pratico’s text), Beginning Greek I and II (NGRK 500 and 501, based on Mounce’s text), and Intermediate Greek (NGRK 620, based on Wallace’s text). All are three semester hours of graduate credit. While I have reservations about both the theology and the new distance learning methods at Liberty, these ICE exams are based on the resident courses, which are pretty rigorous.

www.liberty.edu/ice
some gobbledygook

Greek and Hebrew from University of London

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 pm

The University of London offers both languages in their Bachelor of Divinity program (the equivalent of the M.Div. in America, which also used to be titled the B.D.) They have a ten course program, but each course is both broader and deeper than the typical American 3 hr course in a 90 hour divinity program. All of their courses are basically challenge exams for which you get a study guide and a copy of an older exam. They offer 5 courses: Beginning Hebrew, Advanced Hebrew, Beginning Greek, Johannine Literature in Greek, and Romans in Greek. U of L has a very good reputation, and the program is administered via Heythrop College, one of the constituent colleges within U of L. Unfortunately, their B.A. in Classics (through Royal Holloway) does not offer Latin or Attic Greek, it’s an English-based program.

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/prospec ... ndex.shtml
some gobbledygook

Latin by AP testing from CollegeBoard

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 pm

The Advanced Placement testing offers Latin exams which many colleges will accept for credit.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/p ... tml#name16
some gobbledygook

Latin by SAT II testing from CollegeBoard

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:32 pm

...and apparently the SAT II tests have something similar. No idea which is more rigorous...

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/tes ... latin.html
some gobbledygook

Re: Ancient languages by exam

Postby some gobbledygook » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:07 pm

I understand the AP Latin is being retooled and will be unavailable until 2010-2011.
some gobbledygook

Return to Credit by Examination