Complete Idiot's Guides

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Complete Idiot's Guides

Postby PeteDude » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Okay, if you're reading here, post your CLEP/DANTES/etc. experiences using this series of books.

I'm working through the Algebra book slowly, it seems like it will do the job. Comes well-acclaimed for such tasks.

The World Religions book is more of a tome for the casual reader. I'm having to draw on other materials in addition to that book for the exam.
Wherever you go, there you are
PeteDude

World Religions

Postby PeteDude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:58 pm

As it turned out, World Religions covered Judaism and Islam quite well. However, I had to do a great deal of digging on the Internet to get more detailed information on the Eastern religions. I did pass the exam.
PeteDude

Algebra

Postby PeteDude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm

I got most of the way through, and had to go get another book-- College Algebra Demystified.

The Idiot's Guide is a good book and is very helpful in getting your feet wet, but does not provide enough practice and sometimes gets buried in a little too much mathspeak. It also does not seem to cover enough of a college algebra curriculum to pass those exams.

I'm still studying for this exam. . .
PeteDude

Ethics

Postby PeteDude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Good reading overall and a great overview, but not without its problems.

The section on ethical recipes that covers various philosophies also mentions their philosophers, but not in the same depth. Also, the book gets heavily laden with the authors' opinions and sermonizing.

However, it appears that this book and one or two other resources (e.g. InstantCert, reference.com) might be enough to pass.

Still studying for this one too. . . .
PeteDude

Astronomy

Postby PeteDude » Tue May 08, 2007 3:41 pm

This is the book. If I had time to re-read it and review with practice tests, I could have gotten a really good score on the exam.

With one quick read through and a few practice tests, I barely passed. That I could tell, nearly everything on the test is in this book-- it's just my memory hasn't been great the last couple weeks, and I didn't have time to prepare for this exam as thoroughly as I normally would.

This book should not disappoint for DSST preparation.
PeteDude

U.S. Government

Postby PeteDude » Tue May 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Didn't have time to use this book from the Idiot's Guide series, as I was on a tight schedule for this exam. However, a cursory glance says this book should provide at least a good overview.
PeteDude

Economics

Postby PeteDude » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 pm

I started studying Macro with the Barron's book, then put it aside. . . for about a year. When I did look at the subject off and on, most materials put me off. For a while, I more or less planned on taking the class.

The problem with the Barron's book is that one moment it's extremely clear and engaging, another it's dense and overloaded with technical-style writing-- at least in my opinion.

I picked up The Idiot's Guide, and after reading it through, was able to pass the Peterson's Macro exams at 50-55%. I ended up getting a 60 on the exam. I also found the econ-help site a bit useful for brush-up before taking the test. It's likely I would have done better if I had a better grasp of the relationship between inflation and unemployment, and/or a better understanding of the impact bonds/securities being sold/bought by the Fed.

My suggestion for test-takers: Read Barron's or some other resource to get started, then pick up the Idiot's Guide if your eyes glaze over. The Idiot's Guide may be enough to get you through Macro (even though it has nothing on Micro).
PeteDude

Return to Credit by Examination