Planning Ahead

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Planning Ahead

Postby Gus Sainz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Although slowly eroding, there unquestionably still exists a stigma associated with degrees earned by non-traditional means. As such, in many instances, it can be advantageous, in terms of acceptance, to earn a degree via distance learning from a traditional (brick and mortar) institution rather than from one known to only offer distance education programs. This distinction should also apply to the diploma and degree itself. A degree that is identical in nomenclature to that offered by traditional schools and programs should be more widely accepted than one that is unique to distance or non-traditional schools and programs.

Examinations such as CLEP and DANTES offer a viable and legitimate way to gain college credit. For students intending to pursue graduate studies, however, a factor to consider is how those credits appear on the transcript. Although most schools simply grant you credit (much like a PASS/FAIL class) a few actually assign a letter grade based on your score. This may not be a significant factor (being that most examinations only earn you lower division credit), however, given the competitive nature of graduate school admissions, it might pay to spend some time researching the issue and planning ahead.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby kevin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:30 pm

Good advice Gus...
kevin

Re: Planning Ahead

Postby mark_degreeforum » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:54 am

Gus Sainz wrote:Although slowly eroding, there unquestionably still exists a stigma associated with degrees earned by non-traditional means. As such, in many instances, it can be advantageous, in terms of acceptance, to earn a degree via distance learning from a traditional (brick and mortar) institution rather than from one known to only offer distance education programs. This distinction should also apply to the diploma and degree itself. A degree that is identical in nomenclature to that offered by traditional schools and programs should be more widely accepted than one that is unique to distance or non-traditional schools and programs.

Examinations such as CLEP and DANTES offer a viable and legitimate way to gain college credit. For students intending to pursue graduate studies, however, a factor to consider is how those credits appear on the transcript. Although most schools simply grant you credit (much like a PASS/FAIL class) a few actually assign a letter grade based on your score. This may not be a significant factor (being that most examinations only earn you lower division credit), however, given the competitive nature of graduate school admissions, it might pay to spend some time researching the issue and planning ahead.
Well-said.

I can say, however, that when I applied to the Kelley Direct MBA program (Indiana's online version of their top 20 B&M program) I didn't shy away from my credit-via-examination approach but actually emphasized it in my application to see if it made a difference. I don't recommend that people do this, but I feel that it's better to state why you took this approach than to ignore or hide it. Of course, once I get my MBA I'll turn into a hypocrite and ignore my DL-based BS :roll:

Ultimately, what got me in was a 4.0 GPA (which ties to your second paragraph above), a 700 GMAT and 16 years of work experience. Colleges still tend to apply that GPA x GMAT >= required_score formula for admission.

Cheers,
Mark
mark_degreeforum

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:06 pm

Gus Sainz wrote:...in many instances, it can be advantageous, in terms of acceptance, to earn a degree via distance learning from a traditional (brick and mortar) institution rather than from one known to only offer distance education programs.

I would call Charter Oak State College and Thomas Edison State College exceptions to that, as the vast majority of people see "state college" and think no more about it.

I would also say this advice is more applicable in the U.S. than many places elsewhere.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby vistacollege1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 pm

We do need to plan well in advance for everything
vistacollege1

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 am

Why are we allowing spam in this discussion board? :(
Matt

Return to Credit by Examination