bain4weeks.com

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

Postby Lawrie Miller » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:50 am

Tireman4 wrote:The he: UOPMeg

1. He stated that they (website) sounded millish. Also used the term Spammy. This was because of the advertisements on it.
2. He finds it offensive that people can take tests to get a degree. He thinks that this is a wrong approach to education.
3. He thinks that Lawrie Miller is full of bull to think that anyone can get a degree in 4 weeks with CLEPing.

And thank you for sticking up for me and the website, Tireman. I read the thread on the other site. That wasn't discourse, it was a series of inflammatory statements, interspersed with ad hominem attacks (on you) . After doing this for years, I’ve come to believe the best strategy in such circumstances is simply to disengage.

With respect to advertisements, these are all google ads. Any revenues so earned (and it aint much, I can tell you) go to the upkeep of the website and related research. Bain4weeks.com is not a cash cow, trust me. There are links to Amazon for my book list, revenues from which, if left to accumulate for a long time, have been known to buy me a happy meal and my bus fare home. This is just a canard.

As for being full of bull, see my offer to test out in the previous post. I see this guy links to the Rand Corporation. If he’s connected to them, maybe they’d like to finance the challenge. I will write to them. :)

VERY impressive academic achievements listed in your sig by the way.
Lawrie Miller
bain4weeks.com

A journey of a thousand degrees starts with a single CLEP
Lawrie Miller

Postby Lawrie Miller » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 am

FWD wrote:While I earned a good portion of credit via testing I would not care to earn a whole bachelor's degree that way. Except for Business I don't think you can anyway. At least a few courses in your major with writing and project requirements help give you a well rounded understanding of a particular subject.

In addition to the Business degree, if memory serves, you can earn a bachelor's BS or BA in Psychology ever since they added the 3-credit ECE exam, "Research Methods in Psychology", a few years back. You can earn a bachelor's (BS or BA) in Liberal Studies entirely by testing out, and there are a number of disciplines where you can get nearly all the way by testing. I haven't looked in a long while but the BA and BS in Mathematics (Excelsior) may be doable via the GRE . . . and on.

Alas, the BS/BA in Political Science went south with the demise of the subject GRE - real bummer.
Lawrie Miller
bain4weeks.com

Lawrie Miller

Re: Is CLEPing Worth It?

Postby Lawrie Miller » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 am

Hungry Ghost wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:On another forum, it has been debated about the merits of CLEPing and how bad it is. He is stating that you should either take courses online or sit in the classroom. Testing to him is just outrageous. Your thoughts.

What other forum? Who is "he"?

My thoughts?

I like the idea of prior learning assessment. But that implies that there really was prior learning and that it's really being assessed.

My concern arises when I read accounts on the DL boards of people who amass large amounts of university credit in no time at all by taking exams in subjects that they've never studied, either formally or informally. That's millish, simply by definition.

If those accounts are true, then I can't believe that the assessment instruments that make those abuses possible are credible.

Well clearly, if they genuinely knew nothing and earned credit for knowing nothing, that would be unacceptable.

However, it has been my experience mentoring many experienced adults through the process one on one, that there is much they think they don't know that they do in fact know.

Again, these exams are normed relative to the performance of students in a comparable traditional course. Each and every exam has an explanatory paper within which are delineated the methodologies used to generate accurate comparisons with traditional college courses. I've read each one for every exam featured in BA in 4 Weeks, and I recommend them to you. There is little need of speculation in any of this.

The evidence is readily available for anyone to scrutinize. Evidence of outcomes in terms of later acceptance into graduate programs and success in those programs, abound. Success in chosen career of those so educated is well documented in Excelsior, TESC, and COSC literature. Excelsior College alone has well over 100,000 graduates, who now populate all walks of life in the US and abroad. With this large a sample size, this enormous cohort, you'd think substantive flaws in the methodology and deficits in competence, would be apparent by now. Consider trawling for stories of inadequacy and substandard performance in Excelsior/Regents graduates. After thirty years, churning out these people, month after month, decade upon decade, surely the ether and especially cyberspace would be full of examples of their failures. Surely.

Yet there are few to none.

Rather than speculate, inspect the data, and consider the evidence.
Lawrie Miller
bain4weeks.com

Lawrie Miller

Postby Jack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 am

Lawrie - I've never taken a CLEP or other standardized test for credit in my life but I've lost count of the times that I've referred people to your site. Keep up the good work. Your method is not for everyone but it remains a viable alternative to earning credits and degrees. Also, it's nice to see you post on this board.
Jack

Re: bain4weeks.com

Postby PeteDude » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:31 pm

I really dug BAin4Weeks when I first read it, and it was one of the main sites that prompted me to get going on my schooling again.

That said, I agree with some of the other posters here-- the name implies an over-immediacy to the attainment of a degree, and thus sounds like an exaggerated promise, lowering its credibility.

In contrast, I liked the name of 123collegedegree.com, even though it pushes a 6 month completion plan.
Wherever you go, there you are
PeteDude

Postby Lawrie Miller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Posted in wrong Place.
Lawrie Miller
bain4weeks.com

Lawrie Miller

Postby Lawrie Miller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Thank you (all) for the kind words about BA in 4 Weeks and your support of the website. I've been reading this thread and I'd like to chip-in my two cents.

The research it (BA in 4 Weeks) required, and writing it, and later, designing and coding the website from scratch for it (the whole thing was written/constructed on msword and hand-coded using a text editor (Editpad Lite)), was not a trivial exercise. Many times during the making I asked myself, "Why the <expletive deleted> are you doing this?"

The answer was that if even one person should be motivated to earn their undergraduate degree because of it, then it would have served its purpose. Great benefit is to be derived in the transition from non-degreed working stiff, to degreed working stiff. Still a working stiff to be sure, but one whose estimation of the possible has expanded significantly. Self perception, earning potential, career possibilities, are all enhanced. The potential for growth is now limitless, or at least, it can seem that way, for a while.

The title, "BA in 4 Weeks", appears to irk some. Most whom it truly offends have never read the work, or have misread it. The title serves to mark the extreme edge of what is possible, so that the reader may look down the line, beyond that time frame , to settle in a place and at a pace, where, and with which, (s)he is comfortable.

Many readers have earned their degree in short order and sample testimonies can be found in the "Who's done it" section on the website. A number of students earned their degree via new credit in 2 months, 4 months, 5 months, by stuffing as many exams as possible into that time frame. How many do you think, would have done so had the title been "BA in one year", or "BA at your own pace", or "Accelerated BA"? The title challenges readers to discard their old ways of thinking that prevented them ever starting or completing the degree-earning process.

BA in 4 Weeks purpose is to enable. It challenges ordinary people to do something extraordinary - to achieve something many of them thought impossible. It is a radical proposition that grates on conventional wisdom. In that respect the title purposefully poses as a centered digit in offering to those who would demean it.

Oh, one last point, BA in 4 Weeks details how one can fulfill credit requirements for a bachelor degree in 4 weeks. That is, how one can demonstrate the necessary competencies in less than a month. It does not suggest you can have a BA conferred in 4 weeks, This is explained ad nauseam in the text, yet some continue to point to institutional process delays to demonstrate that “it cannot be done”.

There have been changes in the availability of exams that especially affect the Business degree featured in the text, and this has to be updated. I still get maybe 50 requests a month from serious readers for detailed help with their degree plan. I used to do this but had to give it up because of the time and work involved – constructing a custom plan is often quite intricate. I will offer a for-fee based service soon, though. Those who really feel the need can avail themselves of that.

Again, thank you for you positive comments, they really help.
Lawrie Miller
bain4weeks.com

Lawrie Miller

Postby Abner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 am

Lawrie Miller wrote:
There have been changes in the availability of exams that especially affect the Business degree featured in the text, and this has to be updated. I still get maybe 50 requests a month from serious readers for detailed help with their degree plan. I used to do this but had to give it up because of the time and work involved – constructing a custom plan is often quite intricate. I will offer a for-fee based service soon, though. Those who really feel the need can avail themselves of that.

Again, thank you for you positive comments, they really help.

I think a for-fee based service is a great idea! The best money someone can spend. It will not only save money, but precious time. Please post a new thread on here when you launch this service. The sooner the better.

Thanks!

Abner 8)
Abner

Re: Re:

Postby mattchand » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:12 pm

daniel-craig wrote:Image

I found the site bain4weeks last week and have to say thanks to the author. What a great resource.

But, I do have a few questions. My plan is to take the tests outlined for the Accelerated Bachelor of Science degree referred to here. So I'll eventually enroll at excelsior.

However, I can't find the current degree requirement catalog. I'd like to look through it and verify that the information on the site is still accurate for this degree. Also, this degree appears to be much easier to attain than the BS degree in Business, also outlined on the site here. My question is, can the accelerated degree have a concentration attached to it? I've never heard of just a BS with no major or concentration.

Finally, I'm wondering if I'd likely be able to enroll in an MBA program down the road with the accelerated BS degree.

Thanks in advance.

Excelsior degree program page is here.
mattchand

Previous

Return to Credit by Examination