bain4weeks.com

Discussions concerning earning credit by CLEP, DANTES, GRE, and other tests.

bain4weeks.com

Postby FWD » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:05 am

http://bain4weeks.com/

Lots of helpful testing advice at this site that newcomers may not have heard about. For me it was closer to 4 years though!
FWD

Postby mattchand » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:05 pm

IMHO, one of the very best DL sites on the Internet. I personally found Lawrie's advice indispensable. The site name is a grabber, but I have at times wondered if it sounds less than credible for those new to genuinely acccredited DL.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

4 weeks none the richer

Postby FWD » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:17 am

Matt,
It helped me a lot too. I found I couldn't even hit the other time frames that some said could be done like 6 months or even a year. After I got started I really didn't worry about the time spent.
FWD

Postby FWD » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:43 pm

http://bain4weeks.com/recommendedbooks.html

I found his recommended book list very helpful.
FWD

Postby CoachTurner » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:07 am

Since Excelsior is taking the full 8 weeks they warn of to evaluate my wife's single submitted RA transcript - and since it can be assumed that they can be expected to take as long evaluating the degree completion - I'd say BA in 16 weeks is pushing it at Excelsior College right now. They took almost 6 weeks to grade on of my ECE with essay.

I too like the catchy name but I think that 4-weeks is just that, a catchy name. Even with degree requirements completed before enrollment, these folks have become slower of time...

8)
Carson Turner
Myrtle Beach SC
CoachTurner

Postby FWD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:48 am

[url]I too like the catchy name but I think that 4-weeks is just that,[/url]

Again I would agree.
FWD

Postby FWD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:53 am

Coach
I too like the catchy name but I think that 4-weeks is just that,

Oops didn't mean to post!

Again I would agree! While often quick review books are the recomended reading this still takes a bit of time to do.
FWD

Postby mattchand » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:04 am

CoachTurner wrote:I too like the catchy name but I think that 4-weeks is just that, a catchy name.
8)

Frankly, I'm highly ambivalent about the "catchy name". While on the one hand, it attracts attention, on the other hand, it somehow sounds somehow "cheesy" to me and far cheaper in quality than the actual, well-done and substantial content of the site.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Postby Siniestro » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:32 am

Well, IIRC, Lawry enrolled in many of those programs before he listed them in his site. He took it very seriously. The name is truly unfavorable to DL (as it suggest "easiness" or "little rigourosity") but he put together a very nice list of DL resources. Actually I think a buddy of his here in Europe (from Germany or similar) got his Excelsior degree from scratch in a very short frame of time, and got accepted in Warwick, a top British school, for his postgraduate education. I thin kthat page has helped many. Regards.
Siniestro

Postby Abner » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:46 am

Siniestro wrote:Well, IIRC, Lawry enrolled in many of those programs before he listed them in his site. He took it very seriously. The name is truly unfavorable to DL (as it suggest "easiness" or "little rigourosity") but he put together a very nice list of DL resources. Actually I think a buddy of his here in Europe (from Germany or similar) got his Excelsior degree from scratch in a very short frame of time, and got accepted in Warwick, a top British school, for his postgraduate education. I thin kthat page has helped many. Regards.

Back in DI there was a guy who received his Exelsior degree from Spain. It took him quite a while because he had to fly out neighboring countries that had testing centers. Usually, he would stay over a night or two in whatever country, then take 5-10 tests in a day or two!! Quite a story, I really admire that guy, he just never gave up. I'll see if I can remember his name later, he stills emails once in a while!

Take care my Friend,

Buona notte amico!!

Abner 8)
Abner

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 am

Abner wrote:Back in DI there was a guy who received his Exelsior degree from Spain. It took him quite a while because he had to fly out neighboring countries that had testing centers. Usually, he would stay over a night or two in whatever country, then take 5-10 tests in a day or two!! Quite a story, I really admire that guy, he just never gave up. I'll see if I can remember his name later, he stills emails once in a while!

Yeah, I remember the guy's story but not his name. If I remember correctly, he'd fly from Spain to the Netherlands for tests.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Abner » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:52 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Abner wrote:Back in DI there was a guy who received his Exelsior degree from Spain. It took him quite a while because he had to fly out neighboring countries that had testing centers. Usually, he would stay over a night or two in whatever country, then take 5-10 tests in a day or two!! Quite a story, I really admire that guy, he just never gave up. I'll see if I can remember his name later, he stills emails once in a while!

Yeah, I remember the guy's story but not his name. If I remember correctly, he'd fly from Spain to the Netherlands for tests.

-=Steve=-

Yeah, exactly. The brother was Canadian, but somehow ended up in Spain. Not a bad place to end up, it's my idea of heaven.

See ya Steve,

Abner
Abner

Is CLEPing Worth It?

Postby Tireman4 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:53 pm

On another forum, it has been debated about the merits of CLEPing and how bad it is. He is stating that you should either take courses online or sit in the classroom. Testing to him is just outrageous. Your thoughts.
Michael Mitchell
BA-History-North Carolina Wesleyan College
MA-History-North Carolina Central University
PhD-History(Ongoing)-University of South Africa (2012)
Tireman4

Re: Is CLEPing Worth It?

Postby foobar » Thu May 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Tireman4 wrote:On another forum, it has been debated about the merits of CLEPing and how bad it is. He is stating that you should either take courses online or sit in the classroom. Testing to him is just outrageous. Your thoughts.

screw him.

My undergrad (Regents/USNY) consisted of over 25 CLEP and other standardized exams.

That degree is the foundation for

an AACSB Masters and Ph.D.

mutiple professional certifications

much, much more.

I think he's just jealous.
foobar

Postby Tireman4 » Thu May 24, 2007 2:08 pm

I was taken to the woodshed by this guy. I mean just ripped. Called CLEPing a gimmick. Here let me show you.

... a gimmick?

I don't know what's worse... UOP or bain4weeks. At least with bain you take a test although you get NOTHING in the way of an education so you are completely self taught. UOP isn't much different except they have the guise of instructor/facilitators. You at least get to interact with other students. With bain4weeks you don't ever interact with any of your peers. Testing out of your degree without instruction or class interaction = a bad idea.

Here is another one.

CLEP doesn't cover a major's requirements. You cannot CLEP to the end of a degree unless a college accepts alternative degree testing. This is a bogus way to earn a degree. As a History major I would think you could appreciate that and as one I will not give you a breakThat is just part of it. He ripped me for Lawrie Miller having advertisements on his site. Said that is sounded "Spammy". He ripped me because CLEPing is for a degree not education.

Here is my response:

Remember, I did not make the rules. Everyone has an opinion about CLEPing. Some like it and some dont. I am in the middle. If someone is smart enough to pass a test and a college (TESC, COC or Excelsior) will give them credit, then more power to them. Many colleges (my alma mater-North Carolina Wesleyan College) gives credit for CLEPing. Would I? No. I need to read and absorb everything. That is me. I had a senior thesis in history. I have and continue to work in the field of history. Just when I think I have acquired enough knowledge, there is always something else to read. CLEPing is a way of life. People do it to get ahead in college.

I am not an expert on distance learning. Rich, Dr. Bear and a whole host of others are. I just can not win with this gentleman. I put it here to raise debate and to learn from each other. I am not flaming him or his ideas. I think that they are antiquated, but whom I am to speak. He is a historian by the way.
Michael Mitchell
BA-History-North Carolina Wesleyan College
MA-History-North Carolina Central University
PhD-History(Ongoing)-University of South Africa (2012)
Tireman4

Next

Return to Credit by Examination