Bhutto Killed in Bombing

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Uhmm

Postby DTechBA » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:52 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:I liked Benazir Bhutto. She seemed nice, and was great looking and about my age. She was liberal. OK. I feel bad for her and for Pakistan. I truly do.

But, the main effect it has had in my world is that suddenly gasoline is 10 cents a gallon higher today than yesterday. I can remember a time when an assassination of a foreign woman in some foreign country would not do that to US gasoline prices overnight. I wish we lived in those times again. I believe we could live in those times again if we could return to a world where greed was considered a sin, not a business virtue. Or at least where greed would be disguised and not prowling naked right down the middle of Wall Street on a daily basis.

Thank you George W. Bush for your "family values". They've really helped the country..... :roll:


How is this Bush's fault? We know you don't like Bush but at least keep it pertinent. heck, you evened blamed "fa,ily values", what's with that? Oil was traded on the world market long before Bush.

Wanna blame someone for volatile markets (on many things) look to hedge funds. They predated Bush too.....
DTechBA
Senior Member
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:54 pm

My point is that Bush's "family values" are anything but. Instead they fuel corporate greed, which has led to further entanglement during his administration between corporate greed and foreign/military policy to back it up. Which is why an assassination of some foreign woman in a foreign country can cause us to feel the pain immediately at the pump. It is all kind of the same thing now - politics, pricing, oil, greed, rakeoffs, and oh yes - a strong moral and Christian character. Our entanglement with Pakistan is a devil's bargain, and you know it. We back Musharraf, who maybe killed Bhutto, who blames Al Qaeda. Meanwhile Bush's little henchmen scurry to jack up the price at the pump.

That's why I link them.

Bush has done more than any other president in recent history to take the world (not just the US, which would be bad enough) on an accelerated path towards ALL the wrong values. And they are all thinly covered behind some disguise of superficial "Christianity" and notions of "good vs. evil".

Did Bush's policies and entanglements indirectly kill Bhutto? Who knows. Will the history books show connections between the CIA, Musharraf, the anti-Bhutto group in Pakistan, and possibly even Al Qaeda? Stranger things have happened in the past.
Carl_Reginstein
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Postby Jimmy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:My point is that Bush's "family values" are anything but. Instead they fuel corporate greed, which has led to further entanglement during his administration between corporate greed and foreign/military policy to back it up. Which is why an assassination of some foreign woman in a foreign country can cause us to feel the pain immediately at the pump. It is all kind of the same thing now - politics, pricing, oil, greed, rakeoffs, and oh yes - a strong moral and Christian character. Our entanglement with Pakistan is a devil's bargain, and you know it. We back Musharraf, who maybe killed Bhutto, who blames Al Qaeda. Meanwhile Bush's little henchmen scurry to jack up the price at the pump.

That's why I link them.

Bush has done more than any other president in recent history to take the world (not just the US, which would be bad enough) on an accelerated path towards ALL the wrong values. And they are all thinly covered behind some disguise of superficial "Christianity" and notions of "good vs. evil".

Did Bush's policies and entanglements indirectly kill Bhutto? Who knows. Will the history books show connections between the CIA, Musharraf, the anti-Bhutto group in Pakistan, and possibly even Al Qaeda? Stranger things have happened in the past.


Hang in there, Carl, Bush will leave office in about a year. Then, my dear friend, we will RETURN to the days of low gas prices, world peace and stability, no corporate greed, no poverty...ignorance...or disease around the world, no Third World hunger and starvation, no totalitarian regimes, no ethnic cleansing anywhere in the world, no stoning to death of adulterers in any nations, full equal rights for women in all nations, no animal cruelty, no political payoffs and buyoffs, etc.

Yes, Carl, as soon as Bush is out of office, all will be well again and Utopia will be back. Hang in there Carl, hang in there!
Jimmy
___________________
Rev. James W. Clifton
Pastor, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Hunger Site
Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Jimmy wrote:Yes, Carl, as soon as Bush is out of office, all will be well again and Utopia will be back. Hang in there Carl, hang in there!


I can guarantee you that things will improve in this country when that happy day comes. Unless of course we put in some LDS freak or Stalina.... What are the odds?
Carl_Reginstein
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Postby Jimmy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:01 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:...Unless of course we put in some LDS freak...


Which one?

Him

or

Him :lol:

Notice Carl never blames the most powerful Democrat and a MORMON, Harry Reid, (Senate Majority Leader) for anything.

Mormons are okay...as long as they are not Republicans. I will have to contact J. Gordon Melton and make sure in the next edition of THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN RELIGIONS, that he classifies Mormons into two more groupings, Republican Mormons and Democrat Mormons. :roll:
Jimmy
___________________
Rev. James W. Clifton
Pastor, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Hunger Site
Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby Jimmy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:05 pm

I forgot to add that Carl's insinuation Bush is responsible for Ms. Bhutto's death is about as dumb as Obama's saying Hillary is responsible for her death.

So, now I have just lost respect for Obama, whom I really liked, and now hope Joe Biden bests him in Iowa.
Jimmy
___________________
Rev. James W. Clifton
Pastor, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Hunger Site
Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby vinny123 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:34 pm

Regarding the notion of transmogrifying our world for the better, Peggy Noonan, raises some interesting perspectives regarding the presidential qualities of the incumbents from both parties.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/
Vinny
vinny123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Postby vinny123 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:12 am

Carl Menninger, a highly regarded Psychiatrist wrote a book many years called "Man against himself". The basic tenet of the book was that many accidents resulting in death were not accidental but suicidal. In reviewing the circumstances of Bhutto's death it appears odd that Bhutto, her advisors and entourage were extremely aware of a potential assassination attempt due to the numerous threats made against her as well as her acknowledgement of this possibility yet did not plan a risk management plan that included a large bodyguard contingent as well as other risk management strategies. So Bhutto sticks her head out of the sunroof of her vehicle and voila! Subsequently numerous Pakistani are running through the streets ranting, screaming, destroying and externalizing blame BUT not acknowledging that they should have been engaging in such actions in a timely manner when Ms. Bhutto did not take adequate measures to protect herself. From my perspective, her actions seem suicidal and I am wondering if in her unconscious whether she was somehow contemplating becoming a martyr.
Vinny
vinny123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Postby Jimmy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:24 am

vinny123 wrote:Regarding the notion of transmogrifying our world for the better, Peggy Noonan, raises some interesting perspectives regarding the presidential qualities of the incumbents from both parties.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/


"Transmogrigying" is a great word that the legendary Joe Clark used quite frequently.

Thanks for the link. I have always like Peggy Noonan. She's sensible and not acerbic like so many conservative columnists. I don't agree with her on Dodd or McCain or Hunter but for the most part, she's fairly accurate in my opinion.
Jimmy
___________________
Rev. James W. Clifton
Pastor, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Hunger Site
Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby Jack » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:26 am

Jack
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:33 am

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Jack wrote:This is what others are saying

http://news.aol.com/newsbloggers/2007/1 ... -religion/


I haven't read anything that made that much sense in at least a year...... Thanks Jack!
Carl_Reginstein
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Postby Jimmy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:34 pm

vinny123 wrote:Carl Menninger, a highly regarded Psychiatrist wrote a book many years called "Man against himself". The basic tenet of the book was that many accidents resulting in death were not accidental but suicidal. In reviewing the circumstances of Bhutto's death it appears odd that Bhutto, her advisors and entourage were extremely aware of a potential assassination attempt due to the numerous threats made against her as well as her acknowledgement of this possibility yet did not plan a risk management plan that included a large bodyguard contingent as well as other risk management strategies. So Bhutto sticks her head out of the sunroof of her vehicle and voila! Subsequently numerous Pakistani are running through the streets ranting, screaming, destroying and externalizing blame BUT not acknowledging that they should have been engaging in such actions in a timely manner when Ms. Bhutto did not take adequate measures to protect herself. From my perspective, her actions seem suicidal and I am wondering if in her unconscious whether she was somehow contemplating becoming a martyr.


As an aside, the best book written by Menninger is "Whatever Became of Sin?"

Now back to the topic at hand. Bhutto's 19-year old son is taking her place as head of the PPP.
Jimmy
___________________
Rev. James W. Clifton
Pastor, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Hunger Site
Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

And a little child shall lead them.

Postby uncle janko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 pm

What did Benazir begum say to Zulfikar Ali when they met in the afterlife?

Bless me, father, for I have Sind.

:roll:
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4674
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:04 am

What

Postby DTechBA » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:My point is that Bush's "family values" are anything but. Instead they fuel corporate greed, which has led to further entanglement during his administration between corporate greed and foreign/military policy to back it up. Which is why an assassination of some foreign woman in a foreign country can cause us to feel the pain immediately at the pump. It is all kind of the same thing now - politics, pricing, oil, greed, rakeoffs, and oh yes - a strong moral and Christian character. Our entanglement with Pakistan is a devil's bargain, and you know it. We back Musharraf, who maybe killed Bhutto, who blames Al Qaeda. Meanwhile Bush's little henchmen scurry to jack up the price at the pump.

That's why I link them.

Bush has done more than any other president in recent history to take the world (not just the US, which would be bad enough) on an accelerated path towards ALL the wrong values. And they are all thinly covered behind some disguise of superficial "Christianity" and notions of "good vs. evil".

Did Bush's policies and entanglements indirectly kill Bhutto? Who knows. Will the history books show connections between the CIA, Musharraf, the anti-Bhutto group in Pakistan, and possibly even Al Qaeda? Stranger things have happened in the past.


Corporate greed's heyday occured in the years preceding his time in office. Again, lets work on cause and affect here. The rest of that stuff is just nutty conjecture and you know it. Especially if you consider that peace has actually broken out worlwide. So has democracy and the worldwide economy is actually on a roll. Don't believe the lefty blogs. A responsible review of statistics will disprove almost every one of your statement. Conspiracy theorists unite!

As to the USA not liking Bhutto, lets get real considering that Bhutto had already indicated she supported the war on terror. It is just this kind of irresponsible talking which fuels the partisan foolishness ongoing in this country. Hate Bush all you want but when you come on hear lets try to keep the talk factual. We have enough factless ranting on the blogosphere.

As to Bhutto, the very personality traits which lead one to pursue power will lead one to think, "it cannot happen to me".
DTechBA
Senior Member
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Postby Siniestro » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:50 pm

This is an interesting topic, but you guys seem to be more worried about national politics which this issue clearly surpasses. Look at the situation. Pakistan is the only Muslim country which has a nuclear arsenal. Imagine for a second one of the likes of Amadinejah (Iranian president who vowed to wipe Israel off the map) gets to control the country. Now the threat could be real, much bigger than that that Iran poses. Buttho was clearly supported by the US for they expected her to bring about reforms to promote democracy, a chimera if you ask me, in such an unstable, but critical, country. The XXI century will be probably characterized by historians as the period in which states were ceding their sovereignty, or a large portion of it at least, to large corporations. All the countries, and America is not an exception, have their Foreign Ministries designing policies that benefit their own national companies. Or perhaps even designed by them. Politicians are just errand boys, trust me, Carl and DTechBA. What happens is that America can pursue policy by other means, if you know what I mean, while the rest of the world has to use Machiavellian schemes and alliances, the UN, etc...
Siniestro
Senior Member
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 pm

Previous

Return to Off-topic Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron