Book of Life animation Go see it!

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Book of Life animation Go see it!

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:15 pm

I saw this animated film yesterday. It is simultaneously bewildering, beguiling and filled with stereotypes of Mexican life, not all of them complementary. The music could have been more Mexican and less modern rock.

Apparently Mexicans themselves like it despite the stereotyping. It is doing pretty well in the box office. I don't know if it has a Spanish version but it would go well in that language.

So did I like it. The film is fun and funny, brilliantly colorful, and has an underlying seriousness that justifies the efforts. It is also full of jokes and references that many Americans might miss so listen closely.

Living where I do, I am quite familiar with the signature Mexican custom of El Dia de Los Muertos. This film is pretty free form but captures the idea, anyway, and explores the consequences, albeit at very high speed.

It is the only cartoon I can remember that actually faces the idea of death as part of life, something very Mexican and very un-United Statesian. But then, that's what El Dia is about.

Unlike Cinco de Mayo, which isn't very important in Mexico but is a Big Deal north of the border, El Dia de Los Muertos is the real thing. The real Mexican thing, I mean. This film has a lot of fun with that custom and I think anyone who watches it will have fun, too.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Return to Off-topic Discussions