GOP sweep?

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Re: GOP sweep?

Postby Oregon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:35 am

SteveFoerster wrote:, one must believe either that (1) government never makes mistakes, or else (2) it's acceptable occasionally to execute innocent people. Considering your comments about the sanctity of life, I assume you believe the first one?

You believe that innocent people should be locked up for 50 years?? You are cruel.

The politicians have a role in the system. Their job is to commute death sentences when the judges and juries screw it up. Unfortunately some aren't up for the job.
Oregon

Re: GOP sweep!

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:48 am

Fifty-two seats so far and it looks like Kansas reelected Govenor Brownback. Amazing. I take from this, and from my own experience, that a large slice of the electorate votes the Party line and doesn't bother over much with details. Well is that so awful? If the Party does what it's supposed to do, its candidates should reflect the values of the rank and file.

So can the GOP govern given this chance?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Oregon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Republicans even won the Senate election in West Virginia - first since 1956. The Warmist Luddites took a beating from people like coal miners that prefer work to welfare.

Where's Douglas when I want to take a big Republican elephant dump on him. A year or two ago he predicted the permanent demise of the Republicans with the fine acuity that only a Union grad can provide.
Oregon

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Oregon wrote:You believe that innocent people should be locked up for 50 years?? You are cruel.

So, if you were unjustly convicted of a capital crime, rather than maintain your innocence and fight to be exonerated, you'd rather be strapped to a gurney and pumped full of chemicals until you thrash around while your heart gives out? Baloney.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Jimmy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:35 am

Looks like the so-called GOP War on Women and the GOP being racists took a beating. South Carolina elected a black man to the Senate for the first time since Reconstruction. He received nearly 70% of the vote against two white candidates. In Nevada the first black female Republican was elected to Congress. In New York the youngest woman ever elected to Congress is Republican. And, in Virginia, an 18-year old female became the youngest person elected to the House of Delegates. And, and, in Texas, Democrat Wendy Davis lost to Republican Greg Abbott because she lost the women and Latino votes. Most of the GOP candidates elected were not Tea Party nut jobs but either Traditional Republican Conservatives or Moderate Republicans.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:15 am

Jimmy wrote:And, in Virginia, an 18-year old female became the youngest person elected to the House of Delegates.

West Virginia. And Saira Blair defeated the incumbent in the primary when she was still 17 and not eligible to vote for herself. Pretty amazing.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Jimmy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Jimmy wrote:Looks like the so-called GOP War on Women and the GOP being racists took a beating. South Carolina elected a black man to the Senate for the first time since Reconstruction. He received nearly 70% of the vote against two white candidates. In Utah the first black female Republican was elected to Congress. In New York the youngest woman ever elected to Congress is Republican. And, in Virginia, an 18-year old female became the youngest person elected to the House of Delegates. And, and, in Texas, Democrat Wendy Davis lost to Republican Greg Abbott because she lost the women and Latino votes. Most of the GOP candidates elected were not Tea Party nut jobs but either Traditional Republican Conservatives or Moderate Republicans.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:03 pm

It's pretty clear that the GOP paid close attention to the results of the 2012 general election. But the Party will need to show it can actually govern if it wants to extend its success.

One thing I'm happy about, though, is that the bland "both parties are the same" miasma of my youth is gone. Parties stand for stuff now and that's a good thing.

I'm also enjoying watching our State Republicans learning to deal with their new majority in the State House. The GOP hasn't controlled the New Mexico House since 1954!
nosborne48

Postby Jimmy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 pm

I think the only way to truly get anything accomplished is banning lobbyists and enacting term limits for all offices with the President being given one, six-year term. As simplistic as it sounds, "reelection" may be the culprit of gridlock and nonproductivity.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 pm

The constitution of so-called confederate states of America provided a single six year term for President, a reform that was obviously needed even in 1861.

But I am a bit of a radical on this subject. I would end lifetime terms for federal judges. Ten year terms with the possibility of a single additional term, that's how I would do it.

In many Mexican cities there are streets bearing my favorite name which translates as: "Avenue No Reelection" :D
nosborne48

Previous

Return to Off-topic Discussions