GOP sweep?

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Re: GOP sweep?

Postby BDavis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:39 am

As an example, Allison Lundergan Grimes, who is running to unseat Mitch McConnell, would be a better choice simply because she can get things done and McConnell is an obstructionist and major ideologue.

What evidence to you have that Grimes can "get things done"?
BDavis

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:07 pm

BDavis wrote:
As an example, Allison Lundergan Grimes, who is running to unseat Mitch McConnell, would be a better choice simply because she can get things done and McConnell is an obstructionist and major ideologue.

What evidence to you have that Grimes can "get things done"?

And why is getting things done necessarily a good thing?

"I think we must expect great things from you, Mr Potter.... After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things — terrible, yes, but great."
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Less than a week, now

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm

The General Election of 2014 is nearly here.

Pundits, including the redoubtable Nate Silver, continue to predict a good year for the GOP. Maybe. But has the GOP "closed the sale"? I'm not so sure. There doesn't seem to be much "wave" developing; most of the Party's confidence comes from the map and not any widespread acceptance of their views.

Rand Paul is still pushing to make the GOP tent bigger and more welcoming; he isn't blinded by the prospect of a map-driven Senate takeover. But I don't see any evidence that the GOP Base is paying any attention to him. Instead the spotlight and cheers are reserved for Senator Ted Cruz, a man seemingly designed to cash in on a particularly noxious combination of hate and religion.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby BDavis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

It is hard for me to see how a neophyte such as Grimes will get more things done (however you define that) than a Senator with 30 years experience who is, most likely, going to be the Majority Leader.

I live in Kentucky and Mitch definitely has my vote. I actually voted for Bevins in the primary, but will hold my nose and vote for Mitch against Grimes.
BDavis

Postby Jimmy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59 am

Hi Barry,

Some time ago I read a list of accomplishments Grimes achieveded while Secretary of State. Obviously, you know more about her than I since you reside in the Bluegrass State. She just strikes me as a "mover and shaker" and McConnell has proven to be a "do-nothing" obstructionist like Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. Naturally, if I lived in KY I would much rather vote for a moderate Republican which McConnell is not.

Kentucky used to have really fine Republicans in office like Thurston Morton, John Sherman Cooper, Marlow Cook, and Louie Nunn. Too bad Republicans of that caliber no longer serve Kentuckians in the US Senate and in the governor's mansion.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby BDavis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 am

I voted for Matt Bevins in the Primary, who is very much to the right of McConnell. I really don't like McConnell, but the chances of the GOP taking over the Senate makes me feel obligated to vote for him. I would not vote for Grimes even if I were not voting for McConnell. I could never vote for a pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage candidate. Plus, knowing her and her family history here in Kentucky, it is beyond laughable to hear her accusations against Mitch, which could very easily be turned around against her and her family. I think (and hope) that her refusal to admit she voted for Obama, and the latest fiasco where it turns out her family restaurant only pays wait staff $2.13 an hour, while she focuses on Mitch not wanting to raise the minimum wage, will be the final nail in the coffin for her.
BDavis

Postby Jimmy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:48 am

As I stated you probably know more about her than I since you live there. Didn't know some of the things you stated. I think most wait staff make less then minimum wage due to tips being factored in which I think is wrong.

I don't like her being pro-abortion but I don't like McConnell being pro death penalty. Gay marriage doesn't bother me politically, only theologically. Take care Barry and election night will be very, very interesting.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Rev. Jimmy,

I congratulate you on your consistent view of the value of human life. I have never understood the Religious Right's frequent simultaneous embrace of the death penalty and anti-abortion doctrine.

I wonder that any Christian could support the death penalty, given the origin story of your religion,

Strangely, Jews should be open to capital punishment since it is prescribed so often in Torah but a famous Mishna discussion says that the Sanhedrin which condemned two men to death in the course of forty years was known thereafter as the "Bloody Sanhedrin".
nosborne48

Postby BDavis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Rev. Jimmy,

I congratulate you on your consistent view of the value of human life. I have never understood the Religious Right's frequent simultaneous embrace of the death penalty and anti-abortion doctrine.

It is precisely because of our view on the sanctity of life that we believe in the death penalty. Those who take an innocent life should have to forfeit their own life. I respect different views on this subject, but that is your answer.
BDavis

Postby Oregon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Rev. Jimmy,

I wonder that any Christian could support the death penalty, given the origin story of your religion,

Strangely, Jews should be open to capital punishment since it is prescribed so often in Torah but a famous Mishna discussion says that the Sanhedrin which condemned two men to death in the course of forty years was known thereafter as the "Bloody Sanhedrin".

I guess to be consistent, I should support the death penalty for abortionists. No problem with that.
Oregon

Postby BDavis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:27 pm

btw, the latest Bluegrass Poll came out last night and it has McConnell leading by 5 points. The funny thing is this is the only poll that has ever shown Grimes in the lead and the one her campaign claimed was the most accurate :lol:
BDavis

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 pm

BDavis wrote:It is precisely because of our view on the sanctity of life that we believe in the death penalty. Those who take an innocent life should have to forfeit their own life. I respect different views on this subject, but that is your answer.

In order to see executions as legitimate, one must believe either that (1) government never makes mistakes, or else (2) it's acceptable occasionally to execute innocent people. Considering your comments about the sanctity of life, I assume you believe the first one?
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Jimmy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks, Norm. Yes, I am fairly consistent on life issues. I oppose animal experimentation and killing for furs and skins as well.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Night before

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 am

And Nate Silver has pretty much put "paid" to the Democratic majority in the Senate. Well...either you believe in popular sovereignty or you don't. I do. If the public in its wisdom wants a GOP controlled Congress, the public will suffer the consequences. Or reap the benefits.

We shall see.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Our local races seem to be generating much more heat than our U.S. Senate and House contests, even more heat really than the Governor election. One of our non-partisan Judicial retention elections, usually the very definition of dull and boring due to there being no opposing candidate, has attracted substantial, well-funded mud-slinging.
nosborne48

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic Discussions