GOP sweep?

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

GOP sweep?

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm

I just don't believe it. The polls for the U.S. Senate are very close as are the polls for several Governor races but I just can't believe that the voters could have such severe amnesia as to actually hand things over to the Tea Party. :roll:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: GOP sweep?

Postby Jimmy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 am

Some incumbent GOP officeholders have done very well by their states: John Kasich, Nikki Haley, Scott Walker, Rick Snyder, etc. Then there are those like Mitch McConnell whom I hope loses to Allison Lundagran Grimes. I do believe the GOP will take control of the Senate, however, and I am not sure that will be a good thing. It's not a good thing now with Democratic control. I am strongly pulling for the Independents like Greg Orman, Larry Pressler, and a few others.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Orman is playing coy but if he wins, I suspect he will caucus with the Dems. I don't know how "independent" he really can be and still have any influence. Unless, of course, the Senate election comes out close to fifty-fifty, a distinct possibility, and Orman has the steel nerves of a riverboat gambler. Playing one side against the other will work as long as his is the deciding vote. But that game can make bitter enemies. Vengeance after 2016 would be sweet to someone.

I am surprised at Gov. Brownback's apparent recovery in Kansas. His Koch-dictated state level policies have proven disastrous for the Sunflower State. But maybe Kansans, like New Mexicans, like to give a Governor two terms once he or she wins the first time. Incumbency is a powerful advantage.

The GOP will probably take over the Senate. They will then have two years to prove they can govern. 2016's Senate map looks much more favorable to the Democrats than this year's. And believe it or not, the 2020 census is coming up fast. This time, more State Houses will be likely in the blue column and redistricting will gerrymander to the Left.
nosborne48

Postby Oregon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Two more years of deadlock. A Marxist-Leninist president with a capitalist Congress. Welcome to the last four years.
Oregon

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Wow, Oregon. That's about the most depressing thing I've heard yet.

Do you really think so? Don't you think a GOP Senate and House will be able to force its will?
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Oregon wrote:Two more years of deadlock. A Marxist-Leninist president with a capitalist Congress. Welcome to the last four years.

Oh please, the Democrats aren't Marxist, and the Republicans aren't capitalist. Both are solidly corporatist. Nothing to see here, move along....
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Oregon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:Oh please, the Democrats aren't Marxist, and the Republicans aren't capitalist. Both are solidly corporatist. Nothing to see here, move along....

I didn't say the Democrats are Marxist.
Oregon

Postby Oregon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Wow, Oregon. That's about the most depressing thing I've heard yet.

Do you really think so? Don't you think a GOP Senate and House will be able to force its will?

No.
Oregon

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm

President Obama stated on 60 Minutes that the Democrats will keep the majority in the Senate. Clearly, this is an example of "saying the thing that must be said." But he could have hedged or covered himself with something like, "I am confident that the voters will recognize that the progress we have made in the last six years yadda yadda yadda." but he didn't. He simply said, "Yes." Perhaps he has reasons for being optomistic?

Well, we will see soon enough. Tomorrow is Tuesday, October 21. Two weeks remaining.
nosborne48

Postby Jimmy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:40 pm

It is beginning to look more and more like the GOP will control the Senate. Personally, I don't care which party has control as long as the members of the Senate are competent. Sometimes we have to forego ideology and vote for the best person, the one who can simply do the job. As an example, Allison Lundergan Grimes, who is running to unseat Mitch McConnell, would be a better choice simply because she can get things done and McConnell is an obstructionist and major ideologue.

Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are other examples on the national level. They are a bit too far left for me, but I believe they could get things done as President. Mitt Romney is another one whom I believe could actually get things done. Reagan and Clinton did as well and I didn't care for either, but they got things done.

While I am on my soapbox, we need to get off this anti-capitalist/anti-corporatist blather that the LEFT is spouting. Many of them are pure capitalists and pure corporatists. Take a look at the Hollywood crowd: Hollywood is the most capitalist/corporatist city in America and actors are the most capitalistic employees in the nation. And Bernie Sanders, whom I really like and could easily vote for, for President, needs to get off his Koch brothers soapbox. The LEFT has just as many millionaires and billionaires trying to buy elections: The Becker Brothers, George Soros, et. al.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:44 pm

I gather that most on the left (and many on the right, actually) don't understand the important differences between actual free market capitalism and corporatism. Corporatism is a form of economic interventionism where large players in industry and policy makers cooperate. It's the ideological origin of policies like bailouts, SOPA, out-of-control defense contractors, and so forth, none of which are possible in a free market.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Oregon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:07 pm

WTF is up with Hillary? When I said President Ebola was a Marxist but not Democrats, I was referring to thinking like this moronic lunacy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10 ... eate-jobs/
Oregon

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I think it's evidence that after unexpectedly losing the Democratic nomination to Obama in 2008, she wants to make sure she doesn't get a challenger from the left like Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:50 pm

"Corporatism" is where President Obama nominates Jack Lew, a former B of A hedge fund manager and major Wall Street insider to be Secretary of the Treasury and the Senate confirms that nomination instantly with a vote of 71-26.

That's "corporatism" in action. Socialize the risk, privatize the profits, and make sure no one in the financial elites is ever held accountable. :evil:
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:18 pm

nosborne48 wrote:"Corporatism" is where President Obama nominates Jack Lew, a former B of A hedge fund manager and major Wall Street insider to be Secretary of the Treasury and the Senate confirms that nomination instantly with a vote of 71-26.

That's "corporatism" in action. Socialize the risk, privatize the profits, and make sure no one in the financial elites is ever held accountable. :evil:

Very well said. :x
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Next

Return to Off-topic Discussions