Free Sgt Tahmooressi!

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Free Sgt Tahmooressi!

Postby Charles » Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 am

Please consider signing the Petition to the Obama Administration to:

Demand Release of U.S.M.C. Sgt. Tahmooressi Suffering with PTSD from Mexico Imprisonment

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... t/qslJk2Xd
Charles
Charles

Re: Free Sgt Tahmooressi!

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 pm

I see Mexico continues to be serious about dealing with gun smugglers.

PTSD is not a defense. Having PTSD does not mean you have lost legal capacity and/or are insane. It means you have a mental illness. That's different.

Looks like the guy went into Mexico with guns, which is a crime there.

I grew up 10 miles from there. It is very hard to go into Mexico by accident. But even if he did, it doesn't change the fact that it was a crime. Hopefully, if true, it will mitigate Mexico's reaction to him.
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I wish Mexico WERE serious about stopping the flow of firearms from the North. The truth is, the country barely patrols its northern border. If you enter on foot and wish to acquire the necessary permit to travel into the interior, you have to go find an official to give it to you. Otherwise, you are completely uninspected.

If you drive in, you "push the button" that lights one of two lights, red or green. One in ten times, supposedly, the red light glows and your vehicle will be inspected. Otherwise, they waive you right on through.

Contrast this with arriving into the U.S. from Canada. Every entrant is questioned every time. Anything even slightly suspicious and you get a thorough search.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

True Story :-(

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Contrast this with arriving into the U.S. from Canada. Every entrant is questioned every time. Anything even slightly suspicious and you get a thorough search.

For example, if they ask why you were in Canada and you jauntily reply, "Crashing a wedding!"
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the San Diego-Tijuana crossing points but I do occasionally use the El Paso-Juarez, Santa Teresa, and Columbus-Palomas crossings. Each is thoroughly and obviously marked regarding the dire consequences of entering Mexico with firearms or ammunition. However, it IS possible for the uniniated in El Paso to get stuck in a bridge lane with no clear option but to either continue through the Mexican vehicle inspection point or simply stop in No-Man's-Land. Of the two options, I'd stop and ask the U.S. Border Patrol to help me back up, or take custody of my weapons and then do the U-turn through La Aduana.

Well, actually, I never carry a firearm in my vehicle or on my person but awhile ago some Texan entered with a couple of rounds of pistol ammo. No gun. No clips. Just a few loose bullets. It took some time to get him "sprung", too.

Trivia note: there is in all of Mexico exactly ONE licensed gun dealer for the civilian population. Yet the population seems to have plenty of weaponry, long guns, anyway. Nope, I don't understand either.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Return to Off-topic Discussions