Guy Arrived In US With $26, Sold A Startup For Half a Billio

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Guy Arrived In US With $26, Sold A Startup For Half a Billio

Postby Eric » Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 am

This Guy Arrived In The US With $26, Sold A Startup For Half A Billion, And Is Working On Another Cool Company

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/guy-arriv ... 56816.html

Tidemark Christian Gheorghe

Christian Gheorghe's life is a rags-to-riches story worthy of a Disney movie, and no one is more surprised, or grateful, than he is.

He arrived in the U.S. from Communist Romania in the early 1990s speaking no English, with $26 in his pocket. He lived in a youth hostel and drove a limo for a living.

Today, he's working on his fourth successful startup, having sold all of his previous ones, including his third one, OutlookSoft, to SAP in 2007 for about $500 million.

The trajectory of his life — going from Communist Romania to the U.S. — is truly remarkable. In Romania, he made his living selling music records and taught himself a little bit of English by listening to English music like Pink Floyd, he told Business Insider.

When he sold enough records, he bought himself a Commodore 64 knock-off PC, which cost the equivalent of a year's wages.

"People asked me, are you crazy?" he laughs.

He taught himself to code by hacking into the video games on that machine.

He went on to get formal training before he moved to the U.S., a masters degree in Romania in mechanical engineering with a minor in computer science. But the degree wasn't recognized and accepted once he got here.

After arriving in the U.S., he stumbled into a job as a limo driver. That's how he met a man named Andrew Saxe, who would ultimately help him launch his new career. During the ride, Saxe learned about Gheorghe's interest in computers and told him to come by his office.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: Guy Arrived In US With $26, Sold A Startup For Half a Bi

Postby John Bear » Tue May 20, 2014 12:25 am

So it isn't quite the Gheorghe story . . . but I am thinking of my friend C, who arrived in San Francisco many years ago with $3 to her name, hoping to score tickets for a Dead concert. She saw the loooong lines, invested her $3 in a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jam, made a dozen sandwiches, and sold them to the people in line for $2 each. She used the profits to buy 4 loaves of bread . . . etc. etc. etc. 20 years later, she runs a good-sized catering company specializing in rock concerts.
John Bear

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

John Bear wrote:So it isn't quite the Gheorghe story . . . but I am thinking of my friend C, who arrived in San Francisco many years ago with $3 to her name, hoping to score tickets for a Dead concert. She saw the loooong lines, invested her $3 in a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jam, made a dozen sandwiches, and sold them to the people in line for $2 each. She used the profits to buy 4 loaves of bread . . . etc. etc. etc. 20 years later, she runs a good-sized catering company specializing in rock concerts.

Hence the invention of the usage "jam" in rock music. And if one "jams" well, earning "bread" ensues. Not sure about the peanut butter, though. I guess she was "smooth" enough to "crunch" the numbers and see the potential.

Awesome. If it had been me, I just would have ended up wearing a sandwich board for minimum wage. Just another example of the man keeping himself down.... :oops:
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Well, let's see...did your friend take out a state tax number for sales taxes, complete mandatory sanitation training, subject her SCAM to annual Health Department inspections, acquire a food vender license from the city, make estimated tax payments, and include her profits as taxable income, including Self Employment tax?

No? Sigh. Another example of the American tendency to romanticize criminal behavior! :wink:

I'm actually NOT anti-regulation. If I buy a burrito from the local Burrito Lady I like knowing that it won't make me sick (probably). But I'm in the midst of setting up a small side business myself and this was a good opportunity to kvetch.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Something very weird just happened. I wrote "SCAM" and it posted "SCAM" yet when I went to edit it, it said "SCAM". Without the periods. So I can't fix it.

And even the periods didn't work! The k word, a food prep room.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue May 20, 2014 2:48 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Something very weird just happened. I wrote "SCAM" and it posted "SCAM" yet when I went to edit it, it said "SCAM". Without the periods. So I can't fix it.

And even the periods didn't work! The k word, a food prep room.

I think Gus's way of dealing with all the recent spam that refers to the food preparation room that rhymes with bitchin', was simply to automatically replace references to it with SCAM. Perhaps it was easier than filtering?
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Return to Off-topic Discussions