Malware at Degreeinfo?

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Malware at Degreeinfo?

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Google Chrome has been warning users all day long that Degreeinfo has been containing some malware and recommends NOT logging on. The details were very explicit about how many instances in the last few days, including today.

I don't know if Internet Explorer users other users of other browsers are getting the same thing. I don't want to find out the hard way.

This could be a mistake, of course. You never know what might trigger an algorithm to go off like that. But I'll stay away just the same. Perhaps if the DI crew doesn't know it, this post will make them aware, and they can either remove the malware (if present) or run it through Google to remove the warning.
Rich Douglas

Re: Malware at Degreeinfo?

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Google Chrome has been warning users all day long that Degreeinfo has been containing some malware and recommends NOT logging on. The details were very explicit about how many instances in the last few days, including today.

I don't know if Internet Explorer users other users of other browsers are getting the same thing. I don't want to find out the hard way.

This could be a mistake, of course. You never know what might trigger an algorithm to go off like that. But I'll stay away just the same. Perhaps if the DI crew doesn't know it, this post will make them aware, and they can either remove the malware (if present) or run it through Google to remove the warning.

They're aware. They said that sometimes people who don't like DI submit fake warnings to malware trackers, or something like that, but also that they're taking it seriously nevertheless.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:I don't know if Internet Explorer users other users of other browsers are getting the same thing.

They're not. At least, this one isn't. I use IE on a college-lab computer that's on a network with security out the wazoo. It warns us of everything. So far, not a peep, and I've been on DI daily.

Johann
johann

Postby boxiangjiaopi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:48 pm

It's not the browser we all should be concerned about, but the operating system, Why the dickens are people still paying Windows in order to get infected by all manner of disagreeables, when there are perfectly good and free Linux distros, just a download away? And those downloads come without the windows-type baggage of anti-virus programmes which you don't want......? Well which you would never need with Linux anyway. Now, am I right or am I right?
boxiangjiaopi

Postby The_Baker » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:21 am

A good post there boxiang.

Does anyone know if the latest version of ubuntu supports these touch screen laptops? Otherwise, that kind of forces someone who buys one to use the preinstalled windows 8.1 until a linux distro comes out that supports touch? Anyone know any different?
chi gua bao ma?
The_Baker

Postby boxiangjiaopi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

The_Baker wrote:A good post there boxiang.

Does anyone know if the latest version of ubuntu supports these touch screen laptops? Otherwise, that kind of forces someone who buys one to use the preinstalled windows 8.1 until a linux distro comes out that supports touch? Anyone know any different?

An excellent point, Baker. Well, I don't like touch-screens..disgusting, smeary, greasy looking screens. I like to be brooding, lounging back, fingering my mouse five feet away; especially when some jealous senior-posters have frozen my record-breaking thread, and am reduced to anguishing over Linux. But never mind. Yes, Ubuntu will support touch screens. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch

I mainly use Linux Mint. However, I use Ubuntu 14.04 (with a mate desktop) to drive the TV. We watch Chinese streaming video. We don't get all the buffering-up that you do with Windows 8,1. By the bye, you are aware that Android is Linux are you not?
boxiangjiaopi

Return to Off-topic Discussions