360 million newly stolen credentials on black market:

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

360 million newly stolen credentials on black market:

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 am

360 million newly stolen credentials on black market: cybersecurity firm

(Reuters) - A cybersecurity firm said on Tuesday that it uncovered stolen credentials from some 360 million accounts that are available for sale on cyber black markets, though it is unsure where they came from or what they can be used to access.

The discovery could represent more of a risk to consumers and companies than stolen credit card data because of the chance the sets of user names and passwords could open the door to online bank accounts, corporate networks, health records and virtually any other type of computer system.

Alex Holden, chief information security officer of Hold Security LLC, said in an interview that his firm obtained the data over the past three weeks, meaning an unprecedented amount of stolen credentials is available for sale underground.

Read more here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 0S20140225
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: 360 million newly stolen credentials on black market:

Postby johann » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:06 pm

That's why - if something has to be bought over the Internet - I go without. I haven't used a credit card on the Internet since around 1996. The info on that card is no longer any good to whomever. :)

My credit union has Internet banking - if I want it, but I don't. I told them I'll use it when I can click on "withdraw $100" and five twenties roll off my printer. :)

And it's not necessarily Internet use that will compromise your info. Target Stores were recently hacked for - what was it - 40,000,000 names? That total included some Canadians who went cross-border shopping. TJX stores were hacked a few years back - they run Winners, HomeSense and a couple of other chains. Again some Canadians had their info compromised - but one of their local stores lied about it and told me it wasn't so. I read the other day that Sears are looking into their data system -- to make sure they haven't been hacked, too.

I shred everything that has so much as my name on it. I have a debit card linked to an account that never has more than $1,000 in it. And I'm careful where I use it. My pension comes to my account by direct deposit. The Government knows everything about me - they insist on it. I don't need anyone else knowing or selling my info.

Johann
johann

Re: 360 million newly stolen credentials on black market:

Postby johann » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

There's something else you can do, to minimize losses caused by online malefactors. My sons both use this method. They use pre-paid, reloadable MasterCards or Visas to pay for all Internet transactions. These cards, of course, can be hacked (though theirs have never been, so far) but there's a limit on how far they can be misused. When the money on the card is gone -- it's gone.

I guess I could easily get one of these cards myself, if I wanted -- or have my sons order stuff from the Internet for me - but I've never really felt the need to do either. I live in a fairly big city and there are these handy things called "stores." :)

Johann
johann

Return to Off-topic Discussions