GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Re: GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 am

Thus passing on your own hate and fear to your children? Do you REALLY think that's a moral thing to do?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:50 am

Eric wrote:Gayness is an urge that can be controlled as simple as that.

Eric wrote:not(h)ing more then deviations that can be curved in 6 months

Umm - that's not quite what I learned in my measly 18 units of undergrad psychology. Maybe I should have taken more... :mrgreen:

However - it doesn't matter. I have officially given up the "debate," if such it is. Waste of time. :(

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:14 am

Eric wrote:Johann,

Gayness is an urge that can be controlled as simple as that.

I see you're still on that. Do YOU feel yourself resisting it? Why do you think this is true of others? It is not "as simple as that." Yours is just a simple answer to a complex issue.

I do oppose to indoctrination as if this is alternate life style the same as stealing is not alternate life style.

If they respect me and people of similar opinion wy are they indoctrinate? I think this is on their side attacking my way of life, I don't want my children exposed to their agenda.

Who is doing the "indoctrinating"? (That's a very strong word that implies some pretty harsh behavior, so yo should be prepared to back it up with examples.)

Who is being "indoctrinated"? What agenda? And what potential harm is to come to your children by this "exposure" to "their agenda"?
Rich Douglas

Re: GOP Governor avoids the bottom of the Wacko Pit?

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

WOW! :shock:

She VETOED it!

Watch for a primary challenge from the Ultra Wacko Right Wing. With luck, the Democrats might even reclaim the Arizona Governorship.

Yes, "reclaim"; Former Governor Janet Napolitano is a Democrat. Arizonans still have occasional glimpses of their once-glorious Western ideal..."Live and Let Live". Maybe, just maybe, there are enough voters to vote their weariness.
nosborne48

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:04 pm

nosborne48 wrote:WOW! :shock:

She VETOED it!

Watch for a primary challenge from the Ultra Wacko Right Wing. With luck, the Democrats might even reclaim the Arizona Governorship.

Yes, "reclaim"; Former Governor Janet Napolitano is a Democrat. Arizonans still have occasional glimpses of their once-glorious Western ideal..."Live and Let Live". Maybe, just maybe, there are enough voters to vote their weariness.

Or perhaps she isn't going to run again. She may not even be eligible constitutionally.
Rich Douglas

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

nosborne48 wrote:WOW! :shock:

She VETOED it!

Another definition of "live and let live", and one probably more true to the history of the American West, would be the state doesn't interfere regarding with whom you do and don't do business. But when it comes to current events, I'll admit I'm actually a lot more concerned about the latest dreadful SCOTUS decision.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah, you're right about that, actually. Sigh.

The forfeiture business isn't new and one of its major purposes (I think) is exactly to deprive federal defendants of private counsel. In theory, forfeitures are not favored in the common law so statutes authorizing them are supposed to be construed as narrowly as possible. They aren't in federal court.

What I don't understand, have never understood, is why a pretrial forfeiture isn't a taking of property without due process. True, the government does not actually take the property in that, following trial, a successful defendant can get it back. But the defendant DOES lose the "use" of his property which I would have thought is a permanent taking in itself. The courts do not agree with me.

It's all of a piece, though. The federal criminal process is a stacked deck, designed to secure convictions with a minimum of fuss. You have a much better chance of a truly open and fair trial in our state court.
nosborne48

Postby Jimmy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:55 pm

In politics we shouldn't focus so much on why a politician does something as is whether or not what action was taken was the right thing to do nor not. Kudos to Governor Brewer who is term limited and cannot run for reelection.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:44 pm

No, Jimmy, that won't work. Otherwise I'd have to admit President GW Bush did a good thing when he established the Rose Atoll Marine National Monument.

I would also have to admit that, if Bush bailing out the banks was a Bad Thing, then Obama bailing out the banks was also a Bad Thing.

It would go on and on! I'd have to give credit to Richard Nixon for the Clean Water Act. Oh, wait...he vetoed that act and his veto was overridden...that's a relief! But he DID end our involvement in Vietnam which began under the VERY Liberal Democratic LBJ.

Nope. Forget it. If the politician is one of Ours, nothing she does can be anything but brilliant statesmanship but if the politician is one of Theirs, his every act oozes corruption and rewards for Special Interests!

:wink:
nosborne48

Postby Roald » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Wow, I thought that Brewer might try to find a way to avoid dealing with the issue but I didn't expect her to outright veto the bill. Well, good for her.

So here's what I'm wondering:

Was Brewer under pressure from the national GOP to veto the bill? Or, did the AZ Republican party establishment put pressure on her to veto the bill, realizing that it would damage their long term goals? If so, this could a be an early sign of willingness to put electoral success ahead of Tea Party pandering. If so, I welcome such moves.
Roald

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:
Eric wrote:Johann,

Gayness is an urge that can be controlled as simple as that.

I see you're still on that. Do YOU feel yourself resisting it? Why do you think this is true of others? It is not "as simple as that." Yours is just a simple answer to a complex issue.

I do oppose to indoctrination as if this is alternate life style the same as stealing is not alternate life style.

If they respect me and people of similar opinion wy are they indoctrinate? I think this is on their side attacking my way of life, I don't want my children exposed to their agenda.

Who is doing the "indoctrinating"? (That's a very strong word that implies some pretty harsh behavior, so yo should be prepared to back it up with examples.)

Who is being "indoctrinated"? What agenda? And what potential harm is to come to your children by this "exposure" to "their agenda"?
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Roald wrote:Wow, I thought that Brewer might try to find a way to avoid dealing with the issue but I didn't expect her to outright veto the bill. Well, good for her.

So here's what I'm wondering:

Was Brewer under pressure from the national GOP to veto the bill? Or, did the AZ Republican party establishment put pressure on her to veto the bill, realizing that it would damage their long term goals? If so, this could a be an early sign of willingness to put electoral success ahead of Tea Party pandering. If so, I welcome such moves.

While it's still under dispute, CW says she's term-limited. The GOP can only put pressure on her if she has something to lose. I guess we'll see.
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Eric wrote:The urge (to homosexual behavior) is similar to kleptomania. All it requires is restrain and self control.

Is that so? Well, I don't expect this will really change things for you, but here is a primer on the treatment of kleptomania.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental- ... mania2.htm

Difference: Kleptomania is listed as a mental disorder in the Diagnostic Standards Manual. Homosexuality was declassified as such in 1973 -mainly because it was deemed to have been wrongly classified as a disorder in the first place. See here -or a couple of dozen other places:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 311AAKhomD

A partial quote: "being homosexual poses no inherent obstacle to leading a happy, healthy, and productive life, and that the vast majority of gay and lesbian people function well in the full array of social institutions and interpersonal relationships."

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 pm

nosborne48 wrote:No, Jimmy, that won't work. Otherwise I'd have to admit President GW Bush did a good thing when he established the Rose Atoll Marine National Monument.

I would also have to admit that, if Bush bailing out the banks was a Bad Thing, then Obama bailing out the banks was also a Bad Thing.

It would go on and on! I'd have to give credit to Richard Nixon for the Clean Water Act. Oh, wait...he vetoed that act and his veto was overridden...that's a relief! But he DID end our involvement in Vietnam which began under the VERY Liberal Democratic LBJ.

Nope. Forget it. If the politician is one of Ours, nothing she does can be anything but brilliant statesmanship but if the politician is one of Theirs, his every act oozes corruption and rewards for Special Interests!

:wink:

Ever the polemicist or satirist. :P
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 pm

johann wrote:
Eric wrote:The urge (to homosexual behavior) is similar to kleptomania. All it requires is restrain and self control.

Is that so? Well, I don't expect this will really change things for you, but here is a primer on the treatment of kleptomania.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental- ... mania2.htm

Difference: Kleptomania is listed as a mental disorder in the Diagnostic Standards Manual. Homosexuality was declassified as such in 1973 -mainly because it was deemed to have been wrongly classified as a disorder in the first place. See here -or a couple of dozen other places:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 311AAKhomD

A partial quote: "being homosexual poses no inherent obstacle to leading a happy, healthy, and productive life, and that the vast majority of gay and lesbian people function well in the full array of social institutions and interpersonal relationships."

Johann

What I stated that there are urges on different levels that people feel.
There are people who have a mental disorder for sex, pedophilia, same sex sex, stealing, overeating, etc etc.
And there are people who have this urge but not as mental disorder, simply a temptation or an urge on different levels and at different age.

Society aware of that and it produced legal codex's that are making some of the above punishable by law.
Check DSM for sexual mental disorder, some will be on a level of kleptomania and maybe worse.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic Discussions