GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Re: GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Interesting article about all of this. It suggests that conservatives have found themselves on the losing end of a progressive society over and over again. So instead of fighting these trends, they're trying to legislate "waivers," exceptions to these changes. The law in Arizona is an example of that. The nuns not wanting their company to include birth control in the company health plans they offer is another. But every time these enclaves are built, they get torn down. Lunch counters in the 1950's all over again. But as noted above, these exceptions won't hold up except in the most private and exclusive of clubs.

The more these people fight it, the more they bring about court cases and laws that make it even worse (for them). They're just pressing "turbo" on progressivism.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/25/white_a ... ar_defeat/
Rich Douglas

Allow me to posit a theory...

Postby levicoff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:39 am

Wow . . . this thread, so relevant to distance education, has now been going for ten pages.

I have come to the conclusion that, just like the Muhammed Schmidt thread here on DD and every thread on DLT, this entire thread has turned into a dialogue that involves only one person.

Yes, friends, you heard it here first:

Eric, Jimmy, Johann, Nosborne, Rich, Roald, Steve F., and Tark are all the same person. And this very thread is incontrovertible evidence of that theory. Um, so there. :mrgreen:
levicoff

Re: Allow me to posit a theory...

Postby johann » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 am

levicoff wrote:Eric, Jimmy, Johann, Nosborne, Rich, Roald, Steve F., and Tark are all the same person.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Everyone knows Johann is a spambot! The others? Well, OK... :smile:
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 am

Yes, we are all Dr. Levicoff! :mrgreen:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:49 am

Resistance is futile!
nosborne48

Re: Allow me to posit a theory...

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

levicoff wrote:Wow . . . this thread, so relevant to distance education, has now been going for ten pages.

I have come to the conclusion that, just like the Muhammed Schmidt thread here on DD and every thread on DLT, this entire thread has turned into a dialogue that involves only one person.

Yes, friends, you heard it here first:

Eric, Jimmy, Johann, Nosborne, Rich, Roald, Steve F., and Tark are all the same person. And this very thread is incontrovertible evidence of that theory. Um, so there. :mrgreen:

Yes, I am also shocked to find an off-topic in the Off-Topic forum. Thank you, Dr. Obvious. :roll:
Rich Douglas

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Yes, we are all Dr. Levicoff! :mrgreen:

Oh, no. I couldn't afford it.
Rich Douglas

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Excuse me but the society in these maters is regressive and not progressive.
Allowing this abominations that are noting more then deviations that can be curved in 6 months is a fall not the rise of society.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Tell me, Eric...do you ever eat shrimp? Or a cheeseburger? The word for "abomination" in the Hebrew applies both to homosexual behavior and the menu at Red Lobster.

Something is an "abomination" because you judge it to be an abomination. There are some things that the vast majority of humans agree are abominations. Child sex slavery, murder for hire, Justin Bieber. But humanity as a whole has NEVER arrived at such an overwhelming consensus regarding same-sex relationships.

So no, the world will not collapse because we learn to hate each other a little less.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't hate.

Some things are simply wrong and indoctrinate it as if its normal is not the right approach.
The urge is similar to kleptomania. All it requires is restrain and self control.

BTW I never tested lobster, maybe shrimp unknowingly long time ego. There is plenty of chose then to eat what is forbidden for me.

I totally agree on issues such as slavery, child slavery and exploitation etc, these are horrible wrong actions and I'm glad that in these areas world is coming/came closer.

Yet killing millions of unborn children , is a new form of child sacrifice.
Gay relationship in my eyes is worse as adultery in heterosexual couples.I view it as un natural act of absence of self control.

I understand that people can love, brotherhood , sisterhood etc, but not crossing the line.

But I don't hate the people who engaged in this acts, in free country like US, they organized and fight for their believes that are different then my.
In many ways I'm conservative.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Eric wrote:I don't hate.

You mean other than right now?

Some things are simply wrong and indoctrinate it as if its normal is not the right approach.
The urge is similar to kleptomania. All it requires is restrain and self control.

No one has "become" a homosexual. Either one is or is not. You can't resist that any more than you can resist being blonde or tall or something else. And no one has ever been indoctrinated to become a homosexual. That is either who you are or it is not. NO ONE. It is totally made-up b.s. to say otherwise. The only people who say this are straights. Homosexuals don't talk about how they were heterosexual but got talked out of it. Nonsense.

Yet killing millions of unborn children , is a new form of child sacrifice.

If they're not born then they're not children. Try getting a Social Security number or a tax deduction for a fetus. Good luck with that.

Gay relationship in my eyes is worse as adultery in heterosexual couples.I view it as un natural act of absence of self control.

This is sooooo typical of homophobes. They first (wrongly) cast homosexuality as a "choice" and then condemn those who surrender to it. That's stupid. No straight is tempted by homosexuality. And if you (YOU!) are, then that says a lot more about the denial of YOUR true sexuality. You should look into that. You might be happier with your true self. And if YOU are not tempted by homosexuality, why would you think others are? It's a very bad argument.

I understand that people can love, brotherhood , sisterhood etc, but not crossing the line.

There's that temptation stuff again. Sounds like you need to face up to yours. Enjoy your line-crossing.

But I don't hate the people who engaged in this acts, in free country like US, they organized and fight for their believes that are different then my.
In many ways I'm conservative.

In all ways, it appears.

If you think straights are tempted by homosexuality, then (by definition) you must be tempted, too. Both straights and homosexuals will tell you what that means about you.
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 pm

"Some things are simply wrong."

Really? Says who? God? Your pastor? Your mother? You?

That's exactly my point, Eric. No, nothing is "simply wrong". Things horrify some of us but not others. Socially and legally speaking, though, something is "wrong" only when there is an overwhelming consensus that it SHOULD be wrong.

That's the problem with declaring abortion to be "wrong". There is no overwhelming consensus in our society that abortion is, in fact, "wrong" and there never has been. Nor is there a consensus that it is "right". So we continue to fight year after year.

Now...does that mean slavery was "right" in the Deep South before the Civil War? I would say, "No" because even the earliest Articles that brought this country together forbade the slave trade. Clearly people KNEW it was odious. Eventually, the "overwhelming consensus" did materialize and we ended slavery at a terrible cost in blood and treasure.

EDIT: I should mention that "wrong" and "illegal" are two very different things. Possession of marijuana is illegal under federal and most state laws but the country never, ever arrived at a consensus that using the stuff is "wrong". That's a fundamental reason why the War on Drugs is, and was doomed to be, an abject failure.

But Eric! The BIBLE doesn't say slavery is wrong, does it? No, it does not. So in that ancient world, slavery was arguably not "wrong".
Last edited by nosborne48 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Holy Cow, Eric! I thought I was on the "other" forum for a bit, there!

What Steve said! Every word of it. And what Nosborne said, too!

Interesting - at least to me - that the oldest Gay Rights magazine in America has voted Pope Francis as its person of the year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-franc ... -1.2467059

His Holiness was asked at one point, by a reporter, about gays in the Church. His reply:

"If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

So then, who are you to judge, Eric?

Here's another guy being horribly judgmental about gays - the late Richard Nixon, talking about an "All in the Family" episode, that (as usual) lampooned Archie Bunker's myriad prejudices:

Nixon: Archie is the guy’s name.

Ehrlichman: Now that’s real family entertainment, isn’t it?

Nixon: The point that I make is that goddamit, I do not think that you glorify, on public television, homosexuality! You ever see what happened, you know what happened to the Greeks? Homosexuality destroyed them. Aristotle was a homo, we all know that. So was Socrates.

Ehrlichman: But he never had the influence that television has.

Nixon: The last six Roman emperors were fags. You see, homosexuality, immorality in general, these are the enemies of strong societies. That’s why the communists and the left-wingers are pushing it. They’re trying to destroy us.

The whole ghastly thing is here: http://americablog.com/2013/08/audio-ni ... totle.html

Eric - if you think homosexual behaviour is wrong for you -- then by all means, don't indulge. Just don't carry on about it being wrong for everybody.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:54 am

nosborne48 wrote: There are some things that the vast majority of humans agree are abominations. (including) ... Justin Bieber.

Forget about lobster and shrimp! ...Justin Bieber! Oy, Gevalt! תועבה (abomination) for sure! In any faith or none at all! :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:27 am

Johann,
I have a right to state my opinion.
Pope - You shall love your neighbor as yourself. is what his motive and it's noble, I do the same.

Leviticus 18:22
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. So for me this is sufficient to have an opinion - Johann

My opinion is the same as if some one stills , they are not to steal , so a person has to control their urge to steal.
Maybe in some situation if a person starving to death and they steal food it maybe or would be forgiven, so not all stealing is the same.

Gayness is an urge that can be controlled as simple as that.
I don't hate gay people. Some have urge to cheat on their spouse, that's not good also. Some lie.

As to community
Wile I think what gay people do is wrong yet - You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

I do oppose to indoctrination as if this is alternate life style the same as stealing is not alternate life style.

If they respect me and people of similar opinion wy are they indoctrinate? I think this is on their side attacking my way of life, I don't want my children exposed to their agenda.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic Discussions