GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Discussions of topics unrelated to education or degrees but still of interest to our members.

Re: GOP plumbs new depths of wacko

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 am

Degreeboard sounds familiar, I think I visited that one more then decade ego.
Other I never heard about.

I remember the alt.ed site from the 90's. and some others.
interesting debates between uncle Junco, Greg, Steve etc etc and the degree mill operators on the other side of the debates.
it was fun.

I remember a letter Steve L wrote to Kennedy Western I think, that didn't want to refund her tuition.
The all kind of school run from garage in canton a Swiss school and many Delaware, Wyoming, CA mils.

Now its to quiet.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:13 am

You know, Eric, I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't read the text of the Affordable Care Act. I don't know what administrative authority the President has or does not have.

Have you?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 am

AP

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/companies ... 30353.html

The results of the Institute for Supply Management's monthly survey of firms in the American services sector revealed concern about the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

" The Affordable Care Act is creating significant financial uncertainty to health care organizations," said a survey respondent from the health care and social assistance industry.

"With little warning, the negative impact on revenue has been unprecedented."

ISM's gauge of monthly hiring trends in the American services sector went negative in February for the first time since 2010.

Some of the slowdown may be attributable to the ACA.

"This would be in line with the slowdown in health care and social assistance payroll growth to just 1,000 per month in January and December from an average of just under 30,000 for the 12 prior months," says Cooper Howes, an economist at Barclays.

"In February, ISM noted that this sector reported the third-largest decline in employment among those reporting, suggesting that this trend could continue."
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 am

nosborne48 wrote:You know, Eric, I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't read the text of the Affordable Care Act. I don't know what administrative authority the President has or does not have.

Have you?

I admit that most likely I read less then you. There are many laws on the paper, not all of them are enforced equally
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:06 am

Jimmy wrote:I haven't posted on those fora in years.

I'm sure you haven't - in fact, as Eric attested, a couple are dead, now. And as I say, no ulterior motive. It's simply that you asked - and these are all I could find. I have no idea if Dr. Bear was referring to other fora. I should have left your question for him to answer.

Indubitably, I should have just minded my own business - something that I'm not particularly good at, so far. Sorry if I caused any aggravation. Didn't mean to.

Johann
johann

Postby Jimmy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:28 am

johann wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I haven't posted on those fora in years.

I'm sure you haven't - in fact, as Eric attested, a couple are dead, now. And as I say, no ulterior motive. It's simply that you asked - and these are all I could find. I have no idea if Dr. Bear was referring to other fora. I should have left your question for him to answer.

Indubitably, I should have just minded my own business - something that I'm not particularly good at, so far. Sorry if I caused any aggravation. Didn't mean to.

Johann

No, you're fine. Dr. Bear should have said "posted" or "used to post," not "posts." Guess he was bored.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby johann » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Eric wrote:Now its to quiet.

Yeah, it is.

Jimmy wrote:Guess he (Dr. Bear) was bored.

Probably - why not, indeed?

(Yawn) That's the way it goes, recently...

Good school gets accredited or starts fine new course ..."YAY Good School" (for two minutes)
Bad school loses accreditation, folds or gets prosecuted ..."BOO Bad School" (for two minutes)

The only educational topics that last seem to be wrangles over "iffy," or controversial schools - not many fence-sitters in those. :)
But SCAM sales, political stuff - properly under "off-topic" - and the perennial Muhammad Schmidt thread - they'll go on forever, with or without the rest of us.

I've opened a couple of things in the unaccredited section today. Best I can do. Not holding out any hopes.

Johann
johann

Postby levicoff » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Eric wrote:I remember a letter Steve L wrote to Kennedy Western I think... that didn't want to refund her tuition.

Nope, not quite . . . I never wrote to Kennedy Western about anything, as I recall.

The letter to which you refer is one that I wrote in 2000 to Canyon College on behalf of someone who had signed a faculty contract with them and wanted out. It was probably one of the funniest and most blatantly threatening letters I ever wrote, and the entire text appears in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5838&p=46595

Ah, the good old days . . .
levicoff

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 am

It's about time someone in the GOP took on this right-winged, Tea Party extremist. Hope King, a fairly moderate Republican, seeks the GOP Presidential nomination.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/09/pe ... y%E2%80%99
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Well, if CPAC is any indicator, wackiness reigns supreme in the GOP even now:

www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/08/ran ... traw-poll/

Rand Paul won followed at some distance by Ted Cruz. Both Senators. Neither with administrative experience. Both very Right Wing though I admit Sen. Paul is not as hateful in his expressions of wackiness as the Junior Senator from Texas.

I will say for Paul that he seems to have an actual brain and an unusual (among Tea Partiers) willingness to offer concrete proposals for entitlement reform, foreign policy and defense. I don't LIKE his ideas but at least he HAS ideas.

But neither of these men dwells on the same planet as, say, John Huntsman.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I will say for Paul that he seems to have an actual brain and an unusual (among Tea Partiers) willingness to offer concrete proposals for entitlement reform, foreign policy and defense. I don't LIKE his ideas but at least he HAS ideas.

Rand Paul studied Hayek and von Mises when he was a teenager, scored in the 90th percentile when he took the MCAT, and he has an MD from Duke. Whatever else he may be, he's not dumb.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Jimmy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
nosborne48 wrote:I will say for Paul that he seems to have an actual brain and an unusual (among Tea Partiers) willingness to offer concrete proposals for entitlement reform, foreign policy and defense. I don't LIKE his ideas but at least he HAS ideas.

Rand Paul studied Hayek and von Mises when he was a teenager, scored in the 90th percentile when he took the MCAT, and he has an MD from Duke. Whatever else he may be, he's not dumb.

And he seems a lot less hypocritical than his father.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Previous

Return to Off-topic Discussions