University of America - what a hoot!

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

University of America - what a hoot!

Postby johann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 am

This place has such a classic slogan - ´╗┐Study with us and you'll never be the same." Yeah, I can believe it! You might end up as scrambled as a three-minute egg! Particularly if you study Latin there. Here it is: http://ua-edu.us/

First off, their Latin motto is hopelessly garbled. It looks like someone with no Latin at all used a dictionary. They print "Epluribus universitas Unum" - yes, Epluribus as one word! They're doubtless trying to subvert or bastardize "E pluribus unum" to their own purposes. If they're trying (as I think) to say "Out of Many Universities, One" it should perhaps be "E pluribus universitatibus, una." Or, if it's "Out of many, one University" then perhaps "E pluribus, una universitas" might do.

Latin errors aside, there's a lot more wrong here. Why am I not surprised that they have academically unrecognized ASIC accreditation, complete with a big propaganda-blurb on ASIC and CHEA? OK, ASIC is/was on a CHEA committee and is listed by CHEA as a foreign accreditor - that's it. ASIC is not a CHEA-recognized US accreditor - not RA, not NA, not nuthin! (How many times have I had to say this in the past year?) Neither wishing nor website juxtaposition will make it any different, U of A. Smoke & mirrors = bad optics.

The school is one of many dealing with two rather controversial private "validating" Universities - Universidad Azteca (Mexico) and Universidad Central de Nicaragua. I think we have threads on both schools. A student has the choice of graduating with a dual degree from Azteca and UCN, or a University of America degree validated by either U. Azteca or UCN. To be fair, there is a notice warning that U of America, Azteca and UCN degrees will all require NACES-member evaluation for US use. Maybe they have to print that - I don't know.

The too-frequent English errors that um-adorn the site do NOT have the flavour of those made by people whose native language is not English. Such might be excusable, to some extent. The ones I noticed have the smack of good ol' American carelessness and trailer-park grade grammar.

The whole thing is some kind of spinoff or relative of Salt Lake Bible College - a religious-exempt school that issues free religious degrees including shortcut, specious "doctorates" of a few 8-week courses. Professors with unaccredited degrees are on the faculty.

Well, it's your money -- your choice. If you do study at U. of A (and I don't recommend it) whatever you do -- don't take any Latin courses! :)

Johann
johann

Re: University of America - what a hoot!

Postby johann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:39 am

johann wrote:Professors with unaccredited degrees are on the faculty.

I meant the Salt Lake Bible College faculty. I have no idea who's on the faculty at U. of America. Incidentally SLBC, despite its Utah location, is not a Latter Day Saints school. It has Baptist ties, including a Baptist "Mother School," (Salt Lake Baptist College) although its literature says in effect that it maintains a non-denominational teaching climate.

Just to clarify.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 am

Actually, U. of America might be considered a closer relative of Salt Lake Baptist College - the mother school of Salt Lake Bible College. The Baptist College is the school mentioned on the UA web-page. So, it appears Salt Lake Bible College and U. of America are both related to Salt Lake Baptist College - so I guess all three can be said to be related. There - I've gone in another circle! :(

Again, I have confused the issue with too much "clarification." My apologies - for that one thing only!

Johann
johann

Postby mbwa shenzi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:28 pm

johann wrote:Actually, U. of America might be considered a closer relative of Salt Lake Baptist College - the mother school of Salt Lake Bible College. The Baptist College is the school mentioned on the UA web-page. So, it appears Salt Lake Bible College and U. of America are both related to Salt Lake Baptist College - so I guess all three can be said to be related.

There's also the Springs of Hope Biblical University, see http://sohbu.webs.com/aboutus.htm with info about the relationship between University of America/Salt Lake Bible College [sic]. The web site of University of America is registered to a James Muriithi, which is a Kikuyu name, so my guess is he's a Kenyan, originally.
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby johann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Githaka kia muici ni gukaana. (Lying is the thief's stronghold.)

There - I hope my stolen Kikuyu is better than his stolen Latin!

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:18 pm

mbwa shenzi wrote: Location: Along the road from Wani to Domoni

Just noticed. Comoros, right? The road that goes through Bazmini and Bambao?
Never heard of it before today. Isn't Google wonderful? :D

Johann
johann

Postby mbwa shenzi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm

That's correct, the Comoros, Union des Comores, Udzima wa Komori, and more spefically Nzwani, or Anjouan, as the French call it. An island famous for its lackadaisical approach to all sorts of recognition (among other things): the perfect place for the Father of Geometry and a French 13th century theologian.

Yes, that's the road. It's in a lousy condition, but above 1,000 meters, the mountains and valleys along it are astonishingly beautiful.
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby johann » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 pm

What a wonderful lot of artists, musicians and poets! I've been reading some poetry written in French on mwezi.net. And I've seen some art - e.g. Ali Mroivili aka "Napalo," Lubaina Hamid... Lots of Comorean musicians on Youtube, e.g. Moustoifa Idaroussi, Abou Chihabi...

Although a very poor country, in monetary terms, it's obvious that the Comoros are culturally very rich indeed.

Johann
johann

Return to Unaccredited Programs