Comes now Ballsbridge University - Dominica

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Comes now Ballsbridge University - Dominica

Postby johann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 am

Ballsbridge U. (no - I didn't make it up) is an example of a fairly long-standing Dominican phenomenon. One can incorporate a school or university there and legally issue degrees without further ado -- as long as the school does not enrol Dominicans. I consider Ballsbridge a not-untypical example of such a school.

Experienced readers will no doubt note with some amusement that this school is accredited by ISO9000, as well as the AAHEA, which I have referenced here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5594&p=68711&hilit=AAHEA#p68711

...And He-e-re's Ballsbridge! http://www.acedu.org/accreditation-and-memberships.html

The relatively new National Accreditation Board in Dominica is here: http://nab.gov.dm/index.php/services/ac ... stitutions Note that it has not yet accredited any schools on Dominica. No matter - their accreditation is voluntary. It is however, necessary to secure NAB permission, if the school is intended for Dominicans. And oh yes - there is also at least one Government-approved Medical School on Dominica, which has 100% proper authorization and credentials.

If one checks "Dominica" on the DD site search engine, there are about 5 pages of entries. Many deal with "legal" but not-so-wonderful schools, often owned by people far from Dominica.

...Ballsbridge. Well, at least their shield has a lion, instead of a bridge and uh---whatever. :)

BTW - if you want to know about mainstream, approved schools in Dominica, that's all here:

http://wikieducator.org/Pocket_statisti ... n_Dominica

Johann
johann

Re: Comes now Ballsbridge University - Dominica

Postby mbwa shenzi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Ballsbridge is a Nigerian-Irish educational enterprise, for want of better terms. It has its own business school, Ballsbridge Business School, http://bbs.b-ac.org/

The web site is registered a Charles Idahosa, whose name suggests he's a Bini from Benin city or somewhere close to it. There's also an International Institute of Research http://b-ac.org/ and an International campus, http://www.buniv.org/
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby johann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Nigerian-Irish? ... Well, now. 'Tis likely th' explanation o' the strange, unorthodox English. :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:08 pm

from the Ballsbridge International site: "The university is approved by the government of dominica to award degrees and non degree program in different fields..."

That's a joke! The government of Dominica does not approve its degrees. Neither does it actively disapprove of them. Its incorporation was according to Government rules - and the Government will not have anything to look into, as long as no "degrees" are conferred on Dominican soil!

Nerve! That's why they call it Ballsbridge. Big, brass ones! :cry:

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:52 am

The relatively new National Accreditation Board in Dominica is here: http://nab.gov.dm/index.php/services/ac ... stitutions Note that it has not yet accredited any schools on Dominica. No matter - their accreditation is voluntary. It is however, necessary to secure NAB permission, if the school is intended for Dominicans. And oh yes - there is also at least one Government-approved Medical School on Dominica, which has 100% proper authorization and credentials.

NAB was authorized in 2006 and has been operating for several years. They have not yet approved any schools, but they have developed relationships with UK-NARIC, held informational events in the country, and so forth. At present, the legitimate higher education institutions in Dominica are Dominica State College (the public community college), Ross University School of Medicine, and All Saints University School of Medicine. There are also a few schools based elsewhere with recognized locations in Dominica, including the University of the West Indies, University College of the Caribbean, and maybe one or two others.

Entities like Ballsbridge that claim to be in Dominica but offer only a mailing address of a registered agent, as this one does, are not in Dominica any more than entities that are Delaware corporations are in Delaware.

As for the idea that entities that do not have Dominican students are exempt from oversight there, I do not believe this is true and have asked my attorney there for an opinion. Do you have a source for this?
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:Entities like Ballsbridge that claim to be in Dominica but offer only a mailing address of a registered agent, as this one does, are not in Dominica any more than entities that are Delaware corporations are in Delaware.

Agreed, Steve. And the same goes for the "schools" that ply their trade with BVI addresses -- and some other jurisdictions.

Steve Foerster wrote:As for the idea that entities that do not have Dominican students are exempt from oversight there, I do not believe this is true and have asked my attorney there for an opinion. Do you have a source for this?

No, I don't, Steve - and the odds are you are 100% correct and I am wrong. The "schools" all say this in their marketing hype and quote a reference - but I believe it may actually refer to the statute governing the incorporation of IBCs or similar. It does, however, work that way in fact, I suppose. If the owners are in Amman, Lagos or Nairobi - and nobody on Dominican soil is doing anything bad -- and as long as no Dominicans are victimized, what can the authorities in the Commonwealth of Dominica do, if someone not in Dominica did complain?

Come to think of it, it says on the NAB page that just about any tertiary school is required to register if it seeks to establish operations in Dominica. Maybe these "bogus" schools, that aren't really in Dominica or peddling degrees to Dominicans see this as their way out. Here's from the NAB site:

"This mandatory registration requirement not only applies to local institutions and providers but also to all foreign or transnational institutions seeking to establish operations in Dominica."

The schools say it's "legal" - because they know they can get away with it, I guess. After all, those whose duty it is to govern the formation of companies cannot concern themselves with academic oversight. It reminds me of the "old" days of Wyoming, still an incorporation-friendly State. Back in the day, self-promoting people could incorporate their own "University" and print up their diplomas from the "school" they now owned. That changed and nothing could be called a "University" that wasn't a real one. And then -- the State passed legislation that all such schools get accredited or move. If Dominica or BVI ever did this, I'm sure the "bad" schools would just move to another jurisdiction.

That brings me to what I was going to post in the first place. It's a shame that so darn many of these newer bogus schools are run by Nigerians - some who live in Nigeria with incorporations elsewhere, and some living abroad. These corrupt individuals, some in positions of power and authority, others mere money-grubbers, principally victimize their own people - other Nigerians.

These "419-school" operators make it difficult to trust the competent and sincere Nigerians who are doing everything they can to offer much-needed, quality distance education at the diploma and certificate level for people in their own country

Johann
Last edited by johann on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johann

Re: Another New Wrinkle...

Postby johann » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm

I've noticed another tendency among the newer crop of bogus offshore schools. They sometimes claim validation, articulation or whatever -- with Philippine schools that are CHED members (i.e. fully accredited in that country).

I've been to one or two of the Philippine sites mentioned and indeed the schools are CHED-accredited. However, the couple of schools I visited on the Internet ran a disclaimer that CHED covered their domestic programs and degree-granting in the Philippines only -- and their overseas distance programs and validations etc. were entirely legal, but not covered by CHED. I guess that would make them the same as "unaccredited," then, regardless of the school they came from.

Some of the newer bogus offshore entities I've seen had articulations / validations from questionable schools in other places -e.g. UNEM in Costa Rica. We got threads on UNEM -- oh yeah, we got threads... :)

As always - caveat emptor.

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I don't expect to hear anything definitive on this until sometime this week, but my guess is that from a legal standpoint it's lax enforcement rather than actual legality. Personally, though, I don't think those who run institutions should have to register in the first place if they're not so inclined, so either way I'm not very bothered by the current state of affairs on this in Dominica, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Iceland, or any other country with a seemingly similar laissez faire attitude toward unregistered schools.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Rich Douglas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

I have held for a long time that the degree mill problem is one of demand, not supply. These things are like cockroaches and will outlive us all. Yes, a few of the most egregious have been caught--especially here in the U.S. But there has always been places for these things to hide--and the internet's facilitation of e-commerce makes it just more so.

The demand. As long as employers are ignorant or laissez faire (or both), these shenanigans will continue.

More than a decade ago, John Bear wrote an article pondering the question of whether or not people who purchase these degrees are victims or villains. The more I've thought about it over the years, the more I feel villain is the correct description. This makes their enabling employers accomplices.

Yes, some people are fooled when it comes to accreditation and recognition. But this industry isn't driven by them. It's driven by the demand (and acceptance) for fake degrees.

In early editions of John's books, many of these operations had some charm about them. Now, it's just a commodity market. And it's boring. Soy beans, pork bellies, and fake degrees. Step right up.
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah, it is boring. Even I'm getting tired of it. Dunno why I get so mad at these places. Certainly nothing new. And I guess there are usually TWO villains involved in a fake degree - one to give, one to receive.

I'll close off with what appears to be the legislative loophole these Dominican-domiciled entities use. This quote is from European-American University, another Dominican-incorporated entity, also showing Royal Charters from what appear to be two tribal kingdoms -one in Ghana, one in Uganda. It's here: http://thedegree.org/university-policies/legal/

"The activities of Dominica-licensed private universities operating wholly outside that country are subject to statutory exemption and are the responsibility of the Registrar of Companies rather than the Ministry of Education, which is concerned solely with purely domestic institutions. The relevant legislation is found in the Commonwealth of Dominica Statutory Rules and Orders (SRO) no. 65 of 1996 which authorizes the International Business Companies Act 1996, under which Act the University is incorporated."

Steve was right. He surmised that incorporating in Dominica as an IBC exempts the entity from a bunch of regulatory stuff.
I guess I was right, too. Under the Companies Act - they don't enrol Dominicans and they get to do exactly what they like.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 am

Just to prove I try to do the background reading on this stuff - we've discussed European-American University in other threads. Prof. John Kersey, formerly of Knightsbridge U. and Marquess College is President and Director of Academic Affairs. I'm sure Dr. Bear (and maybe other long-timers) will remember Marquess College. EAU's page says that Marquess College and several other schools have been absorbed into the EAU structure.

Here's the list of Dr. Kersey's credentials. Wow, more postnominals than even "Rev. Dr. GS-13," whose list Dr. Bear has quoted from time to time. :)

Professor John Kersey

MKNL, GCCT, GCLBC, GCStJH(J), SChLJ-J, KMLA, KCStG, KSC, HonDByzSt, DChr, DD, EdD, PhD, MBA, MMusRCM, DipRCM, HonFNCM, HonFMusICMA, HonFCAM, HonFNMSM, HonFASC, FRSA, FRGS, FSA Scot, FVCM, FCCM, FNSCM, FCSM, FMCM, FPerfASMC, HonCIL, HonIWA, COSSH

- Chief Academic Officer
- Research Director and Head of Research Centers
- David Hume Interdisciplinary Professor

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 am

johann wrote:Steve was right. He surmised that incorporating in Dominica as an IBC exempts the entity from a bunch of regulatory stuff.
I guess I was right, too. Under the Companies Act - they don't enrol Dominicans and they get to do exactly what they like.

As I said in the other thread, being an IBC exempts a company from some regulation, but not all, and the act that authorised NAB came long after the one governing IBCs. I'm not sure which prevails, so it may or may not be the case that schools incorporated as IBCs there are exempt from oversight. But I don't see any reason to take a mill's word for it that it's the former.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:As I said in the other thread, being an IBC exempts a company from some regulation, but not all, and the act that authorised NAB came long after the one governing IBCs. I'm not sure which prevails, so it may or may not be the case that schools incorporated as IBCs there are exempt from oversight. But I don't see any reason to take a mill's word for it that it's the former.

Sorry for misreading your post Steve. You indeed did not "surmise" what I said you did. My apology - in both threads, of course.

And you're quite right. I shouldn't take their word for it. How about I take it anyway, but don't enrol or send them any money? :)
I just have this feeling they may be right in this one instance -- or not. We'll soon see, I guess. Practise your victory dance.... :)

Johann
johann

Postby mbwa shenzi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

I see that Ballsbridge University is accredited by the Board of Quality Standards, http://www.b-ac.info/accredited-institu ... mbers.html
So is Concepts College London, known from another thread, and Pebble Hills University.
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby cbkent » Fri May 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Is it UL listed? :D
cbkent

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs