CA Bar proposal for accreditation and bar exam

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

CA Bar proposal for accreditation and bar exam

Postby cbkent » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Bar committee considers uniform law school accreditation standard, shorter exam

"Under the law school proposal being considered, all unaccredited law schools registered in California would have to meet the standards for accreditation within 10 years. The committee’s authority to accredit law schools would also be expanded to distance learning schools."

http://www.calbarjournal.com/June2013/T ... s/TH3.aspx
cbkent

Re: CA Bar proposal for accreditation and bar exam

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Would this require a change to the California Code? Seems to me the Legislature rather than the Supreme Court regulates admissions requirements.

I'd like to see some sort of serious regulation in California but really, has anyone ever shown that graduates of Taft Law, say, or even BAU :wink: get into trouble more often than grads of ABA approved schools?

I have ZERO patience for the ABA-University cabal that took over legal education nearly a hundred years ago. It was unnecessary then and it's a mistake now.

I learned the material in my Taft LL.M. program much more thoroughly than in my resident J.D. classes.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 pm

If I understand this correctly, unaccredited schools would have to become CalBar-accredited, and DL schools would be considered for CalBar accreditation. This sounds like two good things.

Teaching law is an "Expert"-level activity, designed primarily to teach the law and have students pass the Bar. This can be done non-residentially. And I've been resistant to unaccredited law schools because of the dismal passing rates too many of them have. (There was a time when starting a law school and awarding the JD was abysmally easy and some bad schools--and some diploma mills--were in the business of doing so.)

I do hope they retain the quaint approach of reading the law independently and while supervised, though.
Rich Douglas

Postby John Bear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Rich: "...some bad schools--and some diploma mills--were in the business of doing so"

John: One of my favorites was Bernadean University. Along with your law degree, you got a certificate good for absolution of all your sins.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 pm

ALL of them? Every single one?

Hmm. :twisted:
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 pm

John Bear wrote:John: One of my favorites was Bernadean University...

"Bernadean?" That was a real good song, Dr. Bear. I was about 14, when Pat Boone had a hit with it....
Oops! :oops: Sorry! That was "Bernadine." http://www.guitaretab.com/p/pat-boone/189222.html
Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

John Bear wrote:Rich: "...some bad schools--and some diploma mills--were in the business of doing so"

John: One of my favorites was Bernadean University. Along with your law degree, you got a certificate good for absolution of all your sins.

One might say that came in handy for future attorneys. Not sure if any Bernadean grads passed the Bar, though.
Rich Douglas

Postby John Bear » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 am

Bernadean was the founder, Joe Kadans' wife (he was a practicing lawyer). As I recally, they had perhaps half a dozen Bar passes during their dozen+ years of existence. When I visited them, the campus was one room in a motel in Van Nuys, California, but the real office was in Las Vegas.

Yes, nosborne, ALL sins, but only up to the date the certificate was issued; new ones after that were not covered.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Crud.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

John Bear wrote:Yes, nosborne, ALL sins, but only up to the date the certificate was issued; new ones after that were not covered.

They missed a golden opportunity - downloadable "updates," Microsoft-style! :D Maybe Google has an "absolution program." They sell everything else!

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

johann wrote:Maybe Google has an "absolution program." They sell everything else! Johann

They "scooped" me again! There IS an "Absolution" app for Android and IOs! Sadly, it's for the sins of hitmen only... :(

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... d-android/

Johann
johann

Return to Unaccredited Programs