Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Scandinavian Art & Business Institute

Postby eeniasf » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

Johann, you disregard the information in my previous post so I felt the need to answer again :D
Your arguments against SABI seem to be that 1. It is not state recognized and 2. It lacks accreditation.
I did some research before I started my studies so here are the answers;

First thing, SABI does not offer graduate programs, its programs are executive (MBA&DBA). In Finland executive programs are not state recognized not even those provided by state universities. For MBA and DBA degrees Finnish state universities do not answer to the state but they answer to the accreditation agencies. SABI recently received accreditation candidacy to ECBE (European Council for Business Education) so for the quality of its executive programs it answers to them.

So your two arguments are not valid.

(If you want to know more about Finnish legislation read the part below)
In Finland the degrees should be offered in Swedish or Finnish language, they should be free of charge and the degree title should be mentioned in Finland's Decree act. So you see MBA and DBA programs cannot be part of state recognized Finnish higher education system because they ARE NOT free of charge, they are provided in English and they are not mentioned on the Act, not even those provided by state recognized universities.

Regarding IPAG, it is not a state owned university but state recognized and it is funded by the state.
IPAG’s executive programs are not accredited by any agencies while SABI’s DBA has an accreditation candidacy from ECBE. Having received an MBA from IPAG I would say that the quality of IPAG degree is very poor compared to SABI. Already there is big difference between the professors and course content and through their e-learning platform you have constantly access to your courses, study materials, your teachers and classmates. So I would say concerning the accreditation and program quality it is SABI who gives the value to the degree not IPAG.

To everyone who looks for a place of study for MBA and DBA, I would say to contact the universities or their students directly and ask their questions and concerns from them because the information in these forums is really misleading.
eeniasf

Postby Djigdia » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Bonjour tout le monde ,
Je viens à ce forum, car je pense qu'il est de mon devoir d'avertir les personnes qui sont susceptibles de s'inscrire dans cette école. En effet, cette école est une coquille vide. Il n'y a jamais cours, personne ne les connait.... Et il se présente comme des experts dans leur domaine. Il faut savoir qu'il n'y a jamais de cours dans cette école et que ce qui les intéresse c'est votre argent. Une fois qu'ils l'auront, vous pouvez me croire que vous n'aurez pas ce qu'ils vous ont promis au début. De plus il parle de cours en ligne ça ne marche pas. Ils sont tout seul, ils n'ont même pas d'élève. Ils sont obliges d'embauchés des mannequins pour jouer les anciens de l'école. Je peux même vous donner le nom de la boîte qui a envoyé ces mannequins. Pour le prix qu'il demande, vous pouvez trouvez deux fois moins chères et en meme temps une école reconnue avec toutes les accréditations. Croyez-moi, ne jetez pas votre argent par la fenêtre.
Cordialement,

Hello everybody,
I come to this forum, because I think that it is my duty to warn the people who may join this school. Indeed, this school is an empty shell. nobody knows them.... And they appear as experts in their domain. It is necessary to know that they don’t give course in this school, what interests them it is your only money. When they will have it, you can believe me that you will not have what they have promised you at the beginning. Furthermore he speaks about on-line course, it does not work. They are alone, they even have no pupil. They are oblige to hire models in order to play the former student of the school. I can even give you the name of the firm which sent these models. However for the price, they are asking, you can find twice less expensive and at the same time a school recognized with all the accreditations. Believe me, do not throw your money through the window.

Best Regards,
Djigdia

Postby johann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Djigdia: Merci de l'avis important. Thanks for the much-needed warning.

eeniasf: In light of the heads-up from Djigdia - this is not really important. But you're wrong, anyway. Your statement that "executive programs don't require accreditation in Finland" is neither very meaningful nor strictly true. Any Finnish program, not taught by a Finnish University or Polytechnic, with proper degree-granting authority, results in a "degree" that has no standing - period. It can be perfectly legal, but academically, it is meaningless. As far as ECBE goes, that's program - not institutional - accreditation. I'm not sure whether or not you know the difference and I don't really care. And candidacy - with ECBE or any other accreditor, of any type, is not accreditation. Who knows - it might go either way.

Good luck with that SABI degree, eeniasf. I think you'll find your IPAG Master's will get you further. I was able to find that it has recognition. Yet, every corner I turned with SABI - I found it didn't.

And why do you want to slag a recognized school from which you earned a Master's and say SABI is so much better? I suspect SABI is possibly rewarding you to say that, or you hope that it might. :sad:

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm

johann wrote:As far as ECBE goes, that's program - not institutional - accreditation.

I wish to correct that statement. ECBE (which, as I noted, hasn't yet accredited SABI) accredits entire schools of business, not program-by-program. Its accreditation means that the school of business involved meets its standards. That's good, but unlike US institutional accreditation, it does not (cannot) imply anything, pro -or con re: any change in the actual standing of the school's degrees: i.e. whether the academic and employment communities receive them - or whether they do not.

In this case, the school relies on whatever degree-granting authority it already has, for its initial standing. And as far as SABI is concerned, I was able to find...uh, none. I still say - legal but no standing. :sad: I'll take Djigdia's recommendation and pass on this one. :sad:

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm

johann wrote:
johann wrote:As far as ECBE goes, that's program - not institutional - accreditation.

I wish to correct that statement. ECBE (which, as I noted, hasn't yet accredited SABI) accredits entire schools of business, not program-by-program.

I don't think you were wrong. I'd say that an accreditor with the scope to oversee what is usually a department within a larger university would still be better described as programmatic than as institutional.

Its accreditation means that the school of business involved meets its standards. That's good, but unlike US institutional accreditation, it does not (cannot) imply anything, pro -or con re: any change in the actual standing of the school's degrees: i.e. whether the academic and employment communities receive them - or whether they do not.

That's true, although it's important to remember that U.S. accreditors are not the source of degree-granting authority, they're a useful indicator of it only because they require that an institution already have such authority before the institution can apply for accreditation. I realize this is a distinction usually without a lot of practical difference, but I guess I'm argumentative like that. :)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:... but I guess I'm argumentative like that. :)

Yes you are, Steve. :) And you're totally correct. So was I, I think, until my waffling on ECBE - programmatic or institutional.

You've rightly expounded on a couple of salient points - especially that in the U.S., accreditation is not a source of degree-granting authority - but its absence /presence is a darn good indicator of the utility of a school's degrees. Many non-US accreditations, including very valuable ones, are not necessarily reliable indicators of degree utility. Not what they're for. If the school doesn't have mainstream authority from the outset...too bad! Utility for future study or employment may (and probably will) suffer.

We know this. So do many people on and off the board. However, I don't think eeniasf realizes it. Unfortunately, if he sticks with SABI, I think he ultimately will.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 pm

johann wrote:However, I don't think eeniasf realizes it. Unfortunately, if he sticks with SABI, I think he ultimately will.

Or maybe he's got such a great career and accomplishments already that he doesn't care! :D

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 pm

johann wrote: (Re: SABI) How do you say "buyer beware" in Finnish - Ostaja varoa?

Well -- I tried, anyway. Today I checked and the correct phrase is "ostaja varokaa." Close, but no cloudberry liqueur. It still applies here, though. Sorry. :sad:

Johann
johann

Postby mbwa shenzi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 pm

It could be argued though, that it's questionable if SABI is actually a Finnish school anymore, see http://www.sabi.eu.com/the-school/

The Scandinavian Art and Business Institute was founded in Finland in 2006 and SABI’s French Campus was established in February 2011. SABI France is responsible for developing SABI’s presence around the world and for approving all pedagogical frameworks. SABI’s Admissions Office and Development Department were relocated from Finland to France in 2012. Since September 2013, SABI’s Board of Directors and Presidential Bureau are also located in France. Finland remains the base for all of the school’s technical operations and support.

The new campus is apparently located at 83 boulevard Berthier, 75017 Paris, and a Google picture search yields a few interesting hits.
Jogoo la shamba hawiki mjini
mbwa shenzi

Postby johann » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Djigdia wrote:Indeed, this school is an empty shell.

Referring to the Paris school. So much for it.

mbwa shenzi wrote:....it's questionable if SABI is actually a Finnish school anymore...

Yes, considering pretty much all teaching activity etc. (if there is any) has moved from Finland, per SABI itself.

Je pense que maintenant, le cheval est vraiment mort en deux pays. Il ne faut plus fouetter le pauvre animal.

Translation: I think the horse is now truly dead in two countries. We don't need to beat the poor animal any further.

And it's been a long while since I wrote two French sentences of any length that required absolutely no accents. C'est remarquable! :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to Unaccredited Programs